Walleye Fishing...big Surprise.....

ccmtcanada

Ok...my brother-in-law is in town from the States and we've been taking him to our secret Walleye spot a few times over the past week. Blyght and I did our best to show him our technique and he was doing great! He hasn't caught anything as of yet. Well, tonite we went out and about a half hour into it, I hooked what I thought was a pretty big Walleye!

As I was reeling him in, it surprised me by instantly running and taking lots of drag. As he got closer he jumped out of the water a few times. I knew then it wasn't a Walleye...they normally fight for a minute or so and then come in like logs. Anyhow, this is what I pulled out of Lake Ontario....

My first ever Northern Pike...measured in at 34", 15.5" girth and weighed 10 pounds, 4 ounces.

gallery_60_23_14987.jpg

We bought a new rapala digital scale today, so we just HAD to test out right? haha. He was hooked pretty deep and I was afraid he wouldn't make it, but after using my new hip waders, I took him out about 6 feet and he took off splashing water on me.

That's it for now...what a rush...my first ever pike.....what a day!!!

Ain't that sweet...he gives me credit for being a fast learner but what he doesn't tell you is that he is lying...I still don't trust that they took me to the secret walleye spot. Everytime this week we have gone out, I have been drugged and blind folded, they made me carry all the gear, stand in Lake Ontario for 30 minutes and then they still gave me a lure without hooks. I have to use it until they land first fish. I was all excited about his pike, they gave me a real lure, aftet my first cast, ccmt said it was time to go!

Alex (the brother-in-law)

PS. He is letting me come steelheading with him Friday but only after I buy and prepare all the roe bags on Thursday while he is out fishing....... :dunno:

PPS New to the board, proper intro coming soon

Edited by ALEX

Beauty Pike, great report as always... you don't make Alex ride in the trunk do ya ??? :P

Yes welcome Alex...

Thank you every one for the welcomes , and no they don't make me ride in the trunk . They do make me watch the kids while they "run errands" aleast thats what they tell me ;)

Thanks everyone!!! I'm just amazed that we are still able to shore fish this late in December. That pike was sure different than hooking into a big walleye....an even more awesome feeling to actually land the thing. I'll be fishing all winter long if the temps stay like this.... :D