Question for "recreational fisherpersons"

sirfish

After reading about another litlle dust-up between a guide service operator and a recreational board member this daunting question comes to mind once again.

Should Guiding service operators have thier own self promoting collumn here where they can share thier day on the water with clients and should they be a paying board sponsor .

IMO ......Yes. Most post here for one reason only..personal gain

What do you think?

I see your point sirfish and some operators tend to cross the line occasionally.

Once in a while I'll read a post that has a drive-by spamming odor to it but I don't think it's out of control.

If an operator wishes to post a report and has advice to offer, share his tactics and thought process, then we as recreational fisherpersons can benefit from it.

i.e. "...I noticed the blue marlins were biting short so I switched to a purple single nipple wodget with a trailer hook and we were slammin' em"

I guess from my point of view, if they are willing to give up some of thier wisdom and experiance it keeps them just north of the spam line.

I do think it has been monitored fairly well.

-Brian

I noticed the blue marlins were biting short so I switched to a purple single nipple wodget with a trailer hook and we were slammin' em

Was this on the West Arm???... and where in the hell can I find a single nipple wodget??? All mine are double and triple nipples!!!

Was this on the West Arm???... and where in the hell can I find a single nipple wodget??? All mine are double and triple nipples!!!

Get with the program G, NOBODY uses the triple nipples anymore. The doubles can be converted with a knipex twist. Watch for the slot sizes on the West Arm.

most of the guys on this board that do charters guide service only talk about their business if asked or to answer a question....and most people have no idea that they have the business

there are some that take every chance they can to promote their business....

some of the guys that do promote their business do have ads on this website, so we need to cut those guys a little slack

bottom line is, it doesn't take long to figure out who is spamming and who is being helpful

the mods and the board members do a pretty good job of harassing and or deleting the spammers

And hopefully it helps if guides/lodge owners etc. know that recreational members will make decisions about how to spend their fishing money in part on how they conduct themselves on this board.

Some post nice reports and are consistently helpful when they can, and I would gladly give them my business if the opportunity came up. Others are too obviously spammy or get into flame-battles with other members and I would avoid them based on that alone.

Mike

What ever happened to the Harrisons? I thought they did a good job with their posts and gave some helpful information. I just don`t like the posts to sound like commercials, if your a pro try not to come across as one, we expect you to be able to put clients on fish.

Lodge owner, guide, no problems, gotta love the sport or you would be driving a truck or something. Nice to have people on the board to guide us novices from making errors, some do it better than others though.

I think that any of us that have been around here for a while know who the service operators are and some of us use them from time to time. Most represent themselves well and while there is always an ulterior motive of promoting their business, most do it with class and share as much as they take. Those who abuse the privilege are taken care of by the mods...

And by the way everyone knows that the Blue Marlin on the West Arm prefer white, purple is sooooo last year!

Can't say that I see a reason for operators to have a separate section. The mods/admins to an excellent job taking care of the spam as well as everything else around here. The pictures are great and as Brian mentioned, they often share information. As a bonus, when they post here, you can get a glimpse of who they are vs. just picking a name from a list.

Oh, and Gents.....I have found the Burple single nipple wodget to be a very effective and pink!

It's hard to put exactly into words what is a spam report and what is not, but we pretty much know it when we see it.

The guys who only come by for a report on an outing and don't post to anything else are spammers, by and large. IF they cut and paste their report from another board, they are definitely spamming (at least give us the courtesy of not violating another boards copyright!!! Yes your words are copyrighted once you put them on a board.)

What about when we discuss something related to fishing, and someone sends an unsolicited PM selling their product or service? That has happened to me twice, where I ask how the fishing is somewhere and a guide sent an unsolicited PM. I just ignored it, but is this appropriate? Just curious.

Edited by fishinggeek