Bass Pro - Bad form!

goober

I was in the store today and saw something very disturbing. I was looking at Acme Little cleos and saw two feet away the Bass Pro little cleos that they call Little Leos and the package coloring was very similar.They are ripping off Acme lures especially when their lures are discounted and the Acme lures are not. And why so close to the acme little cleos? Why can't they shove them in some corner with all the other Bass Pro junk they sell. Take a good look and you'll see that very quickly they are moving out name brands and replacing them with their knock-offs. Have you all noticed this a well?

When i am looking for a specific type of lure i like them to all be in the same spot ... it is up to you if you want the quality or want to save a bit by buying their bass pro brand. no point in having little cleo's in one spot and having the same spoon just a different brand in another section. Put them all together and have the customer pick which they prefer. There are many knock offs of most of the name brand popular lures and most stores carry them aswell .... When bass pro has their own brand they might as well have theirs on the shelves other than some other knock off company. The only complaint i have for Bass pro is that many of times i have drove an hour to get there only to be told that the items i want are sold out ...

I agree with RichyB.

If I want a spoon, then I want all their spoons to be in the same location.

A lot of the time, the BPS lures are just as good (if not better) than the "name brand" lures.

Exceptions for every rule of course (Rapala, Berkley, etc).

And as a consumer, if they can save me a few dollars, then I am going to buy them.

In Bass Pros defence..... Canadian Tire sells daredevil ripoffs for 1/3 the price.... whats the dif?? Is every hard bait a rapala ripoff... I dunno..i think id be happy with a cheaper product, i fish all the time with the daredevil knockoffs...

For the number of spoons I lose every spring going after pike, I don't think it really matters if they are a knock off or not. EXCEPT for the couple of bucks I can save on each one by buying the knock-off.... So I don't see the problem here at all. Do you own shares in Acme? LOL The spoons are probably made in the same factory in China anyhow. Hopefully the third shift will crank up soon and start selling them at the dollar stores. I would really get behind a program like that.

I dont mind them selling knock-offs at all, HOWEVER, I do not like they they are phasing out certain items such as plastics so they can carry their brand only. I was looking for a specific grub there and the guy told me they are phasing out Berkley and eventually are going to carry only Bass Pro. I wonder if they are going to do it with the other brands???

I dont mind them selling knock-offs at all, HOWEVER, I do not like they they are phasing out certain items such as plastics so they can carry their brand only. I was looking for a specific grub there and the guy told me they are phasing out Berkley and eventually are going to carry only Bass Pro. I wonder if they are going to do it with the other brands???

When private brands get enough awareness, and if the quality is there, then there will be a trend to phase out national branded products. The margins on private label stuff is considerably higher, and as someone else already mentioned on this thread, they are probably made in the same factory as the big named ones.

Bass Pro is probably betting that people will still buy their stuff....the small customer base they might lose will be made up in the extra margin.

they are phasing out certain items such as plastics so they can carry their brand only

I dont agree with that at all.

If they want to make their own brands, so be it.

But dont take brands off the shelf that have been around for decades.

Chances are, if someone came to BPS, to get a bag of Berkley PowerWorms, they are going to buy more while in the store. They are still making money, and doing what all business' are trying to do, get people in the store. I dont see how phasing out other brands will make them more money. I believe its going to lose them money actually. Because the guy that wants those Berkley Worms, is going to go where the Berkley PowerWorms are.

If you have noticed they have done it for years with a lot of their products, their catalogs used to have a notation on their store brand of pony head jigs about the copy ing of Blakemore`s roadrunner brand.

They are the largest seller of fishing tackle, you have to wonder if the original manufacturers are comfortable with having them sell their product only to have them copy it down the road.

LOL average Chinese guy makes 4 bucks a day, I should pay 4 bucks for 1 lure made in China? Getting to be a lot less choices out there though.

Its reasons like this why I don't like working in retail anymore. People cry and complain over the smallest and littlest of things. If it’s the exact same spoon, same colours, same sizes, plus add the fact that they are cheaper than Cleo’s and didn’t stop caring Cleo’s, what’s there to complain about? As for location, common sense would say why put it at the other end of the store with a different product than just to put it where the rest of the spoons are so that people don’t have to go from location to location to find something. BTW, the bass pro stuff does work. I have a lot of their stuff, and got to say that I am impressed with most stuff they make, especially their lures, line, hard baits, plastics, hooks, weights, ect. Stop hatin’ and start participatin’.

Wow - I sometimes just have to shake my head.. :dunno:

Instead of being happy that a store keeps it's "like-branded" stuff in the same place for ease of shopping and less running around - it becomes an issue.

Instead of being happy that a store actually gives you variations on the "same" product in order for you to take part in comparison shopping - it becomes an issue.

Instead of being happy that a retailer gives you the "option" to buy a similar-styled bait or lure for less of a cost - it becomes an issue.

Look around - there are generic makes and models for everything we consume in our society today. And we should be thankful for that. I certainly don't want to live in a place where a monopoly on my spending money is dictated and controlled.

I guess I become a little agitated when it becomes the "norm" and "in vogue" to rant and complain about every minute detail in our lives today. And when the complaint is completely unfounded and unnecessary, well, it kind of becomes a sad commentary on our society in this internet age...

Be thankful we are given a choice - many countries don't allow their citizens that pleasure..

Just my 2-cents worth.

Good Fishing,

Justin

You do have to consider that some companies know the original patent holder may not have the funds to fight a patent infringement case, which can drive competition out of business?

For countries it is the same, the largest counterfeiter of the US 100 dollar bill is reportedly sponsored by the government of North Korea. We might have to borrow money from China to fight that one! :clapping:

I was in the store today and saw something very disturbing. I was looking at Acme Little cleos and saw two feet away the Bass Pro little cleos that they call Little Leos and the package coloring was very similar.They are ripping off Acme lures especially when their lures are discounted and the Acme lures are not. And why so close to the acme little cleos? Why can't they shove them in some corner with all the other Bass Pro junk they sell. Take a good look and you'll see that very quickly they are moving out name brands and replacing them with their knock-offs. Have you all noticed this a well?

Chances are that the BPS lure is the exact same lure that is in the Cleo package. Do you think that BPS has a lure making, rod making, reel making, clothing making factory? Well, no they don't. Their buying power enables them to put their own name on products. You can pay a premium for the original brand names, or appreciate a steep discount for buying the same thing with a BPS tag on it. Your choice. I don't shop at BPS but I take advantage of this scenario from Cabelas frequently. If your rod or reel must say Loomis or Shimano on it, by all means pay the premium. If you don't mind having the same product that says Cabelas or BPS on it, be prepared to pay half the price, or less. And most likely with a better warranty to boot.

I picked up a few little Cleo's only to notice they were BPS Little Leo's... Like come on, atleast find an original name for your baits instead of trying to sell them because of another manufacturers reputation.

I put them back.