Fishing Show Question

Radnine

The fishing show rant from earlier got me thinking about what makes a good fishing show.

I personally tire of seeing guys setting hooks and yanking fish into boats (and acting like every fish is a greater thrill than child birth).

I would rather have them talk more about structure, why they are fishing where they are, etc.

Perhaps the use of graphics to show what the floor looks like where they are fishing (at the very least, show me what the sonar is saying), or where they are in relation to a point or bay (like an overhead shot saying we are here, the wind is coming from here, we are casting into here. Think telestater).

What makes a good show to you?

Edited by Radnine

Personally, a good fishing show is something that has been shot recently (2 years ago or sooner), and shot in a body of water that’s similar to something I would fish around. The hosts must be somewhat personable to the viewer and attempt to clue the viewer in on what technique they are using or pattern they are following that day in achieving their success--hopefully. Graphics or animations are a plus, especially ones that detail structure or make what they are saying more interactive to the viewer. A big turn off for me in a fishing program is when the hosts plug sponsors when their item has no relation to what spot/area they are fishing that day. It’s okay to let the viewers in on how well a lure works, but only if they are being truthful about it, not just plugging it for revenue. In my opinion, the best fishing show is Lindner’s Fishing Edge because it encapsulates most the positives that I’ve mentioned, as well as being quite fun to watch, with plenty of action. Although there are also quite a few other good one’s as well. I’m also interested to hear more people’s feedback about this.

Two shows come to mind for me. Both are my favorites. My all time favorite is Rod and Reel streamside. The host Don Meissner would fish from a canoe to a small outboard. There was never any trick photography with a 2 lb Bass right at the lens making it look like 10 lbs. But the best part, Never, Never did he over promote one of his sponsors. He must of filmed over a hundred shows with his squeaky Daiwa SS 700. A good teacher always without the expensive gimmicks. His best shows were fly fishing for pike and bass fishing in Lake Champlain. Same goes for the Alberta fishing show. No Gimmicks, no expensive gear, Drive to Lakes, and no Wacky guests, and no promotions over and over and over, and over. For example that guy that over promotes Acuma, ST Croix Rods, Fluorocarbon. Can you guess who he is?

A good fishing show is an informative one. A good fishing show is one that is entertaining. I like both, I like to hear what they are using,where they are using it, how they are using it.Let me know the length and type of rod. No need to state the rod name, just the specifics. Let me know what you are fishing for , location , what they are feeding on, type of bait,time of day,time of season , etc., etc. I also like to see the human side, how one actually handles situations in real life time. Don't like the acting type of shows. It is nice to be entertained, but its also nice to learn something at the same time. Fisherman, especially the scouts and pros have their own little bag of tricks, its nice when they pass some of that on to us amateurs. I won't watch a show that has a guy yap for a half hour about nothing. I do not know how they get sponsors. We all know who those shows are.

There aren't any! What would mak a good show? How about starting off the show with "It took 50 hrs. of hard fishing to make this 20 mins. worth of tape!" The show would also need to be taped on public water, not "no name" private lake with the fish stacked up like cord wood... "and today our guide is..." doesn't cut it either, get your ass out there and find your own fish for a change!!!

How about a show that is aired in the same year it was shot in??? All the shows being aired now were shot in 07... old hat and boring if you ask me.

There aren't any! What would mak a good show? How about starting off the show with "It took 50 hrs. of hard fishing to make this 20 mins. worth of tape!" The show would also need to be taped on public water, not "no name" private lake with the fish stacked up like cord wood... "and today our guide is..." doesn't cut it either, get your ass out there and find your own fish for a change!!!

How about a show that is aired in the same year it was shot in??? All the shows being aired now were shot in 07... old hat and boring if you ask me.

Same as what Glen said but add in there one where fish were not snagged or illegally caught as well as sitting in a livewell all day or for a couple days

I dislike shows that are edited with scenes that are filmed after the fish has been caught and landed, ie shots of the guy setting the hook, shots of his buddy grabbing the net, shots of his buddies turning to look at him once he says fish on ect... all filmed after the fact and it looks so cut and paste.

I also dislike this latest fascination with extremely aggressive hooksets. I think setting the hook hard and firm using the weight of the rod to drive the hook home is plenty, no need to put your back into it. I know the majority dosent hold this same opinion but I belive that setting the hook hard sets the hook just as good as setting the hook as hard as I can.

Strangely, I love to watch Rolland Martins show, even though every 5 mins hes trying to showcase something.

I like shows that showcase fish that I dont have the opportunity to normally catch, ie tarpon. I think these fish look really cool and I enjoy seeing close ups of them.

Edited by Riparian

holdfast:

Two shows come to mind for me. Both are my favorites. My all time favorite is Rod and Reel streamside. The host Don Meissner would fish from a canoe to a small outboard. There was never any trick photography with a 2 lb Bass right at the lens making it look like 10 lbs. But the best part, Never, Never did he over promote one of his sponsors. He must of filmed over a hundred shows with his squeaky Daiwa SS 700. A good teacher always without the expensive gimmicks. His best shows were fly fishing for pike and bass fishing in Lake Champlain.

Got to agree with you on that one holdfast. Used to love Meissner's show. He used to fish the Salmon, Raquette and Green rivers dumping intop thew St. Lawrence. He'd just launch and then drift down the river casting. The thing I liked about his show was that it was like you were at the other end of the boat watching him. And he was humiliated many times by losing big fish at boatside, showing the "real" side of fishing, not like some of the "pros" who would have you believe that they hammer fish steady all day without any problems. I haven't seen the show for years, is it still on???

I'm probably weird but I used to like "Fish Fishburne " on the old TNN network.

He was definetely out there but like most say it was not a 30 min. infomercial.

If you watched close you could learn something---go team Gramma

I get so frustrated watching improper handling of fish. Sure you need to show the camera what you caught but to hold it up for no reason for a minute while you talk about the structure or what a great lake you're on, thats crap. Show a positive example to viewers ie fish in water while removing hooks and getting the camera ready. I find musky and fly fishing shows seem to stress this most.

Favorites: Linder and Sportfishing BC

Personally, I like a show that's just plain & simple fishing without all the fancy footwork, but they're getting harder & harder to find every season. I spose the problem is there's just so many shows available on the tube now, everyone is looking for an edge or gimmick to attract viewers.

I don't watch shows that have the music blasting in the background, or the camera jumping all over the place at crazy angles, and I certainly don't need to see a video of the guy who's taking the video of the fisherman.

To me, the Linders have always had a great show, both the old In-Fisherman, and now the new one, and the reason I think most guys like it is because it's just basic fishing without all the glitz thrown in.

I'd like to see more of the fishing shows get back to basics and leave the special effects to Hollywood, but that's just the way I feel about it.

Well there are a couple of players in this field that are doing their darnest to make us fishing people pleased with their accomplishments. Most of the older ones are becoming has been in some sort of way and I always look for new comers as they are truly attempting to clean up the foul attempts that others have done. They are very informative and pleasing to the viewing audience.

These guys are not necessarily new comers however they are fighting to get to the top and have come a long ways in their quest. I cast my vote for Getting Hooked............Aaron Shirley and Barry Pringle......and you never know maybe TonyB is also trying to get in the mix he certainly has the talent to captivate audiences as well as Aaron and Barry.

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

I like informative and topic specific shows. One that comes to mind is BassEdge, which I currently get on Wild TV. I agree with others that the show should not be all about the advertising and the sponsors ...... although that is what makes any show possible. I would say that there are far more shows that are not fun to watch. Some that were very good in the past, have now become 30 minute advertisements for the sponsors.

I do enjoy Extreme Angler TV, and Dave Mercer's Facts of Fishing as well. Who can't help but smile every time Dave lands a fish, and let's out his laugh. At least he show's us what fishing is really meant to be .... fun.

I agree Sam, I watched Getting Hooked once on steelhead--pretty good

Some of those others send me scrambling for my converter like....

I wait for the one guy to call his partner "Buddy" for at least 30x before I give up or...

The other guy sitting with the boys by the fire in the deck chairs threatening something wild like kicking someone into the water off the end of the dock is a definite eye roller...

Another monotone guy that has a show I do find a great cure for insomnia...

Growing up I watched all that was available on cable and I believe I learned the most from the old "In-Fisherman" crew.

I wait for the one guy to call his partner "Buddy" for at least 30x before I give up or...

The other guy sitting with the boys by the fire in the deck chairs threatening something wild like kicking someone into the water off the end of the dock is a definite eye roller...

You saw those to? *cringe*

Well there are a couple of players in this field that are doing their darnest to make us fishing people pleased with their accomplishments. Most of the older ones are becoming has been in some sort of way and I always look for new comers as they are truly attempting to clean up the foul attempts that others have done. They are very informative and pleasing to the viewing audience.

These guys are not necessarily new comers however they are fighting to get to the top and have come a long ways in their quest. I cast my vote for Getting Hooked............Aaron Shirley and Barry Pringle......and you never know maybe TonyB is also trying to get in the mix he certainly has the talent to captivate audiences as well as Aaron and Barry.

Just my thoughts,

Regards,

Sam

Ditto! and you can watch their stuff on-line which is great.They put on a good show,lots of enthusiasm and really good pointers.That being said my #1 favourite is the original IN FISHERMAN on TNN as well as many that were on that channel.

Kerry

I'm probably weird but I used to like "Fish Fishburne " on the old TNN network.

Heck yes! Fish was the man!

When I was younger I sent him a letter, and got a response within weeks, along with 2 autographed sports cards! THATS what makes a good show. Showing the viewer that you care about them, not just about pleasing your sponsors.

Also, while we are on the topic.....I find this hilarious!

On the newer WFN commercials with the guys saying "I dont fish for a living.....I live to fish." I had to laugh out loud when Henry Waschuck (sp?) was on there.

He says "I love to teach people how to fish...yadda yadda..."

Doesn't he mean "I love to TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO SNAG, RE-HOOK FISH, and FISH IN A SANCTUARY".

Then end it with "I dont live to fish....I live to snag!" :lol:

Pro's: informative, local, proper handling, genuine

Con's: product-pushing, staging (for lack of a better word - acting such as doing takes of landing fish, pretending to be edgy), doing only fly-in, improper fish handling

Good shows I watch are the musky hunter, simply fishing, and the fishing edge. For those that like fly fishing, the new fly fisher is really well done. Remember the old "fish on" shows on TV Ontario? They were really old, with John Kerr (and others) but I thought the format was great. Talk about fishing techniques and tackle for 20 minutes, then 5 minutes of fish catching action.

The fishing show rant from earlier got me thinking about what makes a good fishing show.

I personally tire of seeing guys setting hooks and yanking fish into boats (and acting like every fish is a greater thrill than child birth).

I would rather have them talk more about structure, why they are fishing where they are, etc.

Perhaps the use of graphics to show what the floor looks like where they are fishing (at the very least, show me what the sonar is saying), or where they are in relation to a point or bay (like an overhead shot saying we are here, the wind is coming from here, we are casting into here. Think telestater).

What makes a good show to you?

HALLELUJAH!

I guess I'm personally tired of the hootin' and hollerin' and "guitar hero" music. I would appreciate a little more technical stuff that explains in detail what they are doing, where and why.....We all like to see the catching, but......................

HALLELUJAH!

I guess I'm personally tired of the hootin' and hollerin' and "guitar hero" music. I would appreciate a little more technical stuff that explains in detail what they are doing, where and why.....We all like to see the catching, but......................

You mean I can't play AC/DC full tilt to bring up the lakers for you John? Oh well.. I've got some anne murray somewhere.....hope it works as well! :P:D:lol:

PS... bring back scuttle butt lodge...

You mean I can't play AC/DC full tilt to bring up the lakers for you John? Oh well.. I've got some anne murray somewhere.....hope it works as well! :P:D:lol:

PS... bring back scuttle butt lodge...

Hell yes, I love AC/DC............you don't hoot 'n holler much, do you?.......... :w00t: Anne and I had a misunderstanding many years ago... :whistling:

I haven't had the chance to watch much TV in the past few years, as I am just too busy. When I was younger, my favourite show was the older In-Fisherman with the Lindners on TNN. Enjoyable to watch and I learned a lot from the shows. IMHO it was the best fishing show on television.

BTW, thank you for the compliments on Getting Hooked with Aaron & Barry. We do our best to keep the show informative and just have fun doing the hard-core fishing we normally do without the cameras rolling. We have had a lot of great feedback with our 'natural' format, and I would like to thank many of the OFC members for their feedback.

Good fishing!

Aaron Shirley

My favorite fishing shows are:

1. Linder’s Angling Edge

2. Getting Hooked (I can only watch it online because we don’t get it here in Michigan)

3. The Bass Pros

Another new show that started this year is Hook n, Look with B.A.S.S. pro Kim Stricker (on Versus). The show has a lot of underwater action with fish hitting the lure, fighting one another, spawning, how they relate to structure, etc. Kim also has 2 excellent DVD’s on smallmouth with a lot of underwater shots.

Hook n' Look