Can u still ???

ADC

This may be an ignorant question but I figure this is the best place for a good answer.

Can u still fish (catch&release only) for Bass when its not bass season ??

I know you cant keep any but is catch and release out of bass season legal ??

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

:Gonefishing:

This may be an ignorant question but I figure this is the best place for a good answer.

Can u still fish (catch&release only) for Bass when its not bass season ??

I know you cant keep any but is catch and release out of bass season legal ??

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

:Gonefishing:

Funny you post this question. I have an ex friend that goes for pike (he says) in shallows, with a spinnerbait, cranks, all the lures that "would" catch pike. As he is targeting pike(ya!), he hammers the OOS Bass. But he is targeting PIKE. He has been stopped many times and he tells the CO he is going for PIKE and gets off.

Please answer this one.

Like I said EX FRIEND.

Daniel

OCH

I catch bass everyday out of season unitentionally in the spring fishing walleye, pike ect... simply because they are everywhere and eat any bait all day, but the reason they have these periods is to let the fish spawn in peace with no stress so it is very important not to target them. All you can do really is make sure to keep the fish in the water and release it quick as possible, honestly I don't even target bass hardly at all, all year, but I bet I catch more bass then all other species put together, they are usually a nuisance to me, they are fun to catch but when your looking for something else and they steal your bait all day it gets annoying. Bass are doing very well on Gbay I would say almost too well.

But try other species in other spots, don't go to your secret bass hole and pretend to target something else, for me the bass happen to be everywhere the walleye and pike are and theres nothing you can do about it.

I think I read somewhere that the reason you can't target oos bass is because male bass guard their nests and even if you practice c&r, any time spent fighting these fish leaves the nest unguarded and the eggs vulnerable to predation from smaller species.

Edited by verminator

I tried telling that to some guy here in Fort Erie...he didn't want any of my advise....told me he was just catch and releasing them and said that it was alright....told him NO of course. Guess I lost the battle of the stupid on this one...LOL Trout are year around in Lake ontario, lake erie and Niagara river.

" No you can not target out of season fish period.

Unless your fishing Lake Erie during the closed Smallmouth bass season in the State of Ohio which makes no sense to me "

Well said Phil! If you truly care about the sport and maintaining a first class fishery why would you want too?

One of my major complaints about the pro bass tour, they seem to think fishing for bedding bass is a good plan. Nice to see big fish at a weigh in, but at the cost of those fish with a failed spawn?

but is there somewhere I can do it that no one will see.....

I mean if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it, does it still get protesters complaining about logging companies......

yeah I was kidding

I agree that oos fishing is wrong. I find it funny though that everyone is complaining about it yet when someone poses with the OOS bass they catch while ice fishing they get complimented.

Yeah, I love that.

And when it's an OOS Musky, the "pros" LOSE IT!

BTW Bass Marley,

Good for you to have the interest and guts to ask your question.

:thumbsup_anim:

I agree that oos fishing is wrong. I find it funny though that everyone is complaining about it yet when someone poses with the OOS bass they catch while ice fishing they get complimented.

True, which is funny.

But in all fairness, when your ice fishing your using the same technique, and aren't moving. So, you have hardly any control as to what you catch.

Its a different story when you see someone out there in May using topwater baits, in back bays.....those are the guys that I want to smack with a paddle up-side-the-head!