1. 1. Is Fishing a Sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends...
  2. 2. Are Pro Fishermen Atheletes?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends...

To anyone that hasn't tried tournament fishing for fear of expense, I'd just like to point out that it's not that expensive to give it a try. Join a club in your area, there are many all over Ontario and fish a small inexpensive club event. It will give you a taste of what it's all about at a very friendly level. The clubs are often dedicated to things beyond just tournament fishing, helping out with kids events and such is also a part of just about every club's mandate. I'd be happy to recommend a club to anyone that is interested or wants to learn more.

I really think you'd be surprised.

Charles

I don't agree with many definitions in lots of dictionaries

Kinda says it all.... :whistling:

Now, once I renew my "sports" card, I gotta go and apply for a new "sport" fishing license, then I'm going to CTC to check out the fishing gear in their "sports" department. If I can't find what I need I guess I'll have to go to the "sportsman" show. But I'll be a good "sport" about it. After all I'll be "sporting" new gear. :wallbash::wallbash:

Now, once I renew my "sports" card, I gotta go and apply for a new "sport" fishing license, then I'm going to CTC to check out the fishing gear in their "sports" department. If I can't find what I need I guess I'll have to go to the "sportsman" show. But I'll be a good "sport" about it. After all I'll be "sporting

:clapping:

I almost spit my coffee out this morning when I read this LOL....

That pretty much sums it up as far as classifying "Fishing as a sport" goes.

I reeeeely don't think there is any room for doubt that its classified as a sport to be honest.

But an Athletic sport it is not my friends.

I s'pose it can be made athletic if you wanted to...but I think I'll stick to walking and canoeing at a nice "leisurely" pace

Well one thing is for sure,specially tournament fishing...its very hard work,casting,loading,unloading your boat,theres lots of heavy lifting,for us salmon guys too,lifting 15lb cannon balls all day as well as 30lb kings !!!! man theres lots of hard work going on for fishermen,what about a portage !! so ya we are all at the very least very determined !!!! for what we go through to catch fish right.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Kinda says it all.... :whistling:

Now, once I renew my "sports" card, I gotta go and apply for a new "sport" fishing license, then I'm going to CTC to check out the fishing gear in their "sports" department. If I can't find what I need I guess I'll have to go to the "sportsman" show. But I'll be a good "sport" about it. After all I'll be "sporting" new gear. :wallbash::wallbash:

LOL...this was great....except that within CTC....fishing and hunting are both under our "Outdoor Recreation" business model.

Loved the post...... :lol::thumbsup_anim:

When this was first posted I was keeping quite. 6 pages later and a strong vote for "yes" it is a sport and I am going to bust, who he heck is hitting the gym so they can do better at fishing? I love going fishing, its one of my favorite things. But....

Fishing (as we are talking about here in Ontario) is not a sport:

-fishing is competitive, so is chess, poker, snowball fights and beating rush hour traffic. None of these are a sport.

-fishing can be a competition, but, not all competitions are sports.

-sports do not have the goal of killing a living thing, fishing very often results in death. Sometimes it whole purpose is to catch, kill and consume tasty fish.

-Most of all: The "sport" designation in "sport fishing" is attributed to the fish, not the fisherman. Sorry guys.

forrest

When this was first posted I was keeping quite. 6 pages later and a strong vote for "yes" it is a sport and I am going to bust, who he heck is hitting the gym so they can do better at fishing? I love going fishing, its one of my favorite things. But....

Fishing (as we are talking about here in Ontario) is not a sport:

-fishing is competitive, so is chess, poker, snowball fights and beating rush hour traffic. None of these are a sport.

-fishing can be a competition, but, not all competitions are sports.

-sports do not have the goal of killing a living thing, fishing very often results in death. Sometimes it whole purpose is to catch, kill and consume tasty fish.

-Most of all: The "sport" designation in "sport fishing" is attributed to the fish, not the fisherman. Sorry guys.

forrest

[/

If I say RUN FORREST RUN does that make it a sport ???? LOL :clapping:

I caught a snippet of an episode of Frasier (I miss that show) today.

The character Bulldog made this conclusion: golf is not a sport because 1. No cheerleaders 2. No blood 3. The only cups are in the ground.

Disclaimer:

The proceeding statement was made by a FICTIONAL character on a television show, and does not reflect the thoughts or feelings of the person posting the above statement.

Sport or not. I don't really care. I'm not a fan of competitive fishing. The fewer people around when I'm out fishing, the better. Give me a lake, some Brook Trout hopefully, lots of solitude, a campfire at night, a frosty morning, a few good friends, a siesta in the afternoon, a few Eagles flying overhead, a t-bone over the coals for supper, a nice walk in the woods with my camera some time during the day, some wild animal sightings, a great sunset....

Heck, This is what fishing means to me. A sport? Call it what you want. I call it my reward for being born.

Sport or not. I don't really care. I'm not a fan of competitive fishing. The fewer people around when I'm out fishing, the better. Give me a lake, some Brook Trout hopefully, lots of solitude, a campfire at night, a frosty morning, a few good friends, a siesta in the afternoon, a few Eagles flying overhead, a t-bone over the coals for supper, a nice walk in the woods with my camera some time during the day, some wild animal sightings, a great sunset....

Heck, This is what fishing means to me. A sport? Call it what you want. I call it my reward for being born.

love it!

very...very well put

When this was first posted I was keeping quite. 6 pages later and a strong vote for "yes" it is a sport and I am going to bust, who he heck is hitting the gym so they can do better at fishing?

forrest

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=2702

Read parts 1 and 2.

On a personal note, I worked out hard a few years ago and felt stronger, had more stamina (mental especially) and fished better than I had ever done before. Adding 15 lbs of muscle also helped me to cope with long bumpy boat rides too. I'm not saying any of this discredits your opinion, just wanted you to know that it is actually a very big help for coping with long hours, long days and the general abuse your body and mind take over a 6-7 day period preparing for and fishing in an event.

Charles

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?id=2702

Read parts 1 and 2.

On a personal note, I worked out hard a few years ago and felt stronger, had more stamina (mental especially) and fished better than I had ever done before. Adding 15 lbs of muscle also helped me to cope with long bumpy boat rides too. I'm not saying any of this discredits your opinion, just wanted you to know that it is actually a very big help for coping with long hours, long days and the general abuse your body and mind take over a 6-7 day period preparing for and fishing in an event.

Charles

Agreed. Exercise/Working out can benefit anyone in their daily lives no matter what the activity. LIfe is better with exercise.

I have just never seen a fishing show where they talk about their workouts or heard of anyone saying "this exercise will help with your hook sets, try to get 5 sets of 15 reps in"

forrest

Agreed. Exercise/Working out can benefit anyone in their daily lives no matter what the activity. LIfe is better with exercise.

I have just never seen a fishing show where they talk about their workouts or heard of anyone saying "this exercise will help with your hook sets, try to get 5 sets of 15 reps in"

forrest

Very true,exercise will make you feel better doing just about anything.

Joe

This threads still alive ?????

Now if there ever was a fishing "athlete" it's Terry. You should have seen what it took this guy to get 7 miles down the the lake on his ATV.

Hell we didn't even know there was Sheepshead in Lake Temagami... but he hunted one down... and hunting is a sport..... right?!!>??

Edited by irishfield