Need Advice From Prime Rib Masters(nf)

BITEME

GOOD DAY EVERYONE

So tommorow night is the anual Christmas dinner i hold on site for my guys at work we run 24/7 365 so to have it off site is unexceptable to me as all contribute to the sucess of the company everyone has to wear a shirt and tie out of respect yada yada yada

Any way what i need is a fool proof cooking instruction for either Medium Rare or Medium. I have a lot of guys that are from warm climates and the=y are very skiterish of rare meat

If anyone can help with this it would be great

I have udels of pages off the net but was looking for a possible master of the meat out there

The roast is 16 lbs

Menue for the night

Prime Rib aus Jus

baby raost potatoes

whole green beans with sliced almonds

asparagus

yorkshire pudding

ceaser salad

Pie and Ice cream

and i think i will throw a half dozen or so lobsters in the mix as my thanks to them for outstanding work

meat experts help help help :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Peter

Guest mistyriver1

If it was something about the BBQ or deep frying fish, I'd be able to help......but not sure about that. I'm sure someone will help you Peter.

It sure does sound like a good menu :thumbsup_anim:

It all has to do with the temperature. Buy yourself a good thermometer. Stick it in the centre of the roast. Watch the temperature rise until it hits 140-145 degrees (Rare-MediumRare). Remove from oven and place on warm platter. Tent with foil and let stand aprrox 10 -15 minutes. This will allow the juices to move back into the meat.

Serve the skittish guys from the outside cuts and the carnivores near the centre.

Good Luck and Happy Cooking

Get yourself a thermometer and cook the beef from room temerature. For medium it should be around 140-150 degrees coming out of the oven. Temp it from the side of the roast. Dont go by time because there are lots of factors that can effect the timing. Are the bones still on the roast? and is it netted with the fat cap wrapped around the top. Be slow dont pound it with heat you'll just burn the outside and leave the inside red. Good luck with dinner !!!

what that guy said !!!!lol

OK, here's what I would do with that big beautiful Primer!

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

I would spice the outside of the roast with Montreal Steak spice and if possible, let it sit in that over night.

Place the spiced roast in the pre-heated oven for one hour. Remove it from the oven and let it sit on the counter for two hours... cooling off time

Then, place it in a 325 degree oven, insert a meat thermometer and cook it until it reaches 150 degrees in the thickest part of the roast. Once there, remove the roast from the pan, wrap it in aluminum foil and let it sit for atlesat 1/2 an hour before you begin carving.

PM me your number and location and I'll be sure to help you enjoy the best part a cow has to offer! :D

Use the drippings off the roast for gravy/au-jue (SP)

HH

What kind of oven are you useing?

Conventional or Convectional?

And are you cooking with the bone and cap on?

And do you know the cap width by chance?

Generaly a bone on quarter inch netted cap will cook to Medium rare in 2-2.5hours a convectional oven especialy a smaller sizer roast.

But bare in mind If your cooking with out the bone or cap on you will decreas cooking time significantly...probobly by a half hour or more.

And a conventional oven will tend to take longer being there is no air flow...

I would recomend 30 minutes at 400 degrees, then drop your oven temperature to 325 and continue for and additional hour and a half then get your meat thermometer...

Check the internal temp(through the cap to the bone) after the hour and a half has gone by....

your shooting for 130 degrees (medium rare) so if after an hour your there or with in 5 degree's...

Pull it out and let it rest for a good 15 minutes or so.(don't cut into it when she's fresh out of the oven...you'll loose all your juice and dry it out fast)

I recomend a ton of Montreal Steak spice rubbed under the cap, then scor the outside of the cap in big X's(helps the fat break down and flavor the meat)

Cook in the Pan rib side down, and put a little water/beer or redwine mix(half and half) in the bottom of the pan....about 2-3cups to keep the Humidity in the oven high, and increase the arroma

(this will keep your yeild high)

Plus if your making some Jus after....its a great flavor boost.

Some Carrots, and onions in the pan never hurt either.

Just be sure to check that internal temp if your ever in question....

Prime rib is reeeeely well marbled and can be quite variable in Fat content, therefore the fat can render off quicker then expected sometimes and act as a catilist....hence cooking your meat much faster then expected.

But a 2 hour cook time for a small roast should be good....I can't see it taking more then 2.5-3max

Good luck,

Oh and don't forget to stay hydrated...I recomend a beer for the Chef every half to one hour ;)

Serve the skittish guys from the outside cuts and the carnivores near the centre.

Thats the best idea...don't ruin the meat for a few old school boys :rolleyes:

130-135 is industry/restaurant standard for Med Rare

But don't forget the meat does not stop cooking just cause you took it out of the oven....

I'd say 140 is solid meduim but if you pull it from the oven at 140 and rest the meat for 15-30miuntes you run the risk of hitting 145-150 and getting med well.

The meat will continue to rise for a good 15 minutes to a half hour before it planes out...

depends on the thickness/leaness of the cut.

One more thing while I still remember... never and I do mean never use a fork or anything like a fork to pick up the cooked roast. You don't want to pierce the outside of the roast... only use tongs! also, never remove the meat thermometer from the roast until you cutting it... you'll just watch all those beautiful juices pour onto your cutting board... and if that does happen... pour them into the au ju!

HH