Major Tackler Manufacturer Support

bbog

***The manufacturer and brand names have been altered in this story***

I had emailed the manufacturer with some concerns over what I considered to be inappropriate breakage of premium mono (4lb) and fluro (6lb) line. I re-spool all my reels each spring and am careful to cut-off and re-tie at the slightest sign of damage. All knots are Palomar and moistened prior to cinching. I was looking for confirmation that my application was correct and/or some indication of flaws in the product. Obviously I also wanted replacement if the breakages were of no fault of mine.

The response back was prompt and cordial and requested that I mail the product boxes OR “detailed” sales receipt. I got lucky as I still had the premium mono box. Snapped a quick picture of the box AND the empty spool label and sent it off. The response back was again prompt but this time was a request for a line sample, the manufacturing details (that were already provided) and a “dated” not “detailed” receipt.

Now I'm a little pi**ed off as the initial requirement for replacement had been met (for premium mono) but now changed and I don't have the line sample requested. Those of you that shop at a famous Ontario outdoors store will know that they do not provide “detailed” receipts. Besides who keeps receipts of low cost items and product packaging of consumed items – let alone discarded line? No replies from the manufacturer since I responded with this information and my complete dissatisfaction with their customer service.

The runaround over a couple spools of line is a little disconcerting as I have a fair amount of this manufacturers large line-up. If this is the treatment for little stuff, what should I expect on the larger, more costlier items?

I'm very interested in the insight and opinions of my fellow anglers.

Would you (and should I):

1. Escalate the problem to the manufacturers management?

2. Save it if/when I have difficulties with rods or reels?

3. Move on to another line of products?

4. Say nothing further and live with much less than stellar customer service?

5. Other suggestion?

Thanks for taking the time to read and possibly respond. :Gonefishing:

If it was me...and this is just my opinion...if it's just a few spools of line, I'd just add it up to my experiences and wouldn't buy it again. Since it happened to two kinds of line, I'd assume it was the quality of the product and then move on. If it was something expensive (like rod holders, fish finders etc...), then I'd be calling and ask them to do something about it.

Thanks for the response ccmtcanada. I would fully agree with you on an isolated purchase. What has me concerned is the attitude of the manufacturer. If this is the grief over the small stuff what happens when the big stuff fails?

I buy all my line mail order because I don't want to chance getting something off the shelf that's been exposed to aging and store lighting. Same deal with buying new rods. I don't take a chance on getting one that's been abused in a store. I've seen customers drop rods and many times they don't put them back on the rack properly. The damage shows up when you hook a fish or when you hook a stick.

If it was me...and this is just my opinion...if it's just a few spools of line, I'd just add it up to my experiences and wouldn't buy it again. Since it happened to two kinds of line, I'd assume it was the quality of the product and then move on. If it was something expensive (like rod holders, fish finders etc...), then I'd be calling and ask them to do something about it.

Me too Cliff

Yeah, what the others are saying is what I'd do as well. It's not a high ticket item. But, I understand how you feel about their attitude. I might be tempted to write a nice letter to the people who have a stake in the company.

I wouldn't bad mouth them but I also would never recommend their products. Don't forget that their other products such as reels, rods etc. are not manufactured by the same companies who supply their line.

I've never understood why line manufacturers don't date stamp their products.

Next time you're in this situation... tie a piece of line to the side of your boat/dock/coffee table and the other to your handy dandy fish weight scale and pull slowly watching the scale 'till it breaks...and see if they're in the ball park to what it's supposed to be.

Don't forget that their other products such as reels, rods etc. are not manufactured by the same companies who supply their line.

I hear ya Roy!

I'm not so worried about the quality of the rods and reels I have from them. But stuff does break and I'm hoping their lousy line support is not an indication of their overall attitude towards the buying public.

Any suggestions out there for a quality 4lb test mono. Used on an ultralight rod hunting superb panfish such as Crappie and Perch?

OK now I want to know the manufacturer and line type. Besides curiosity we may find similar experiences amoungst the group. As an example I used to swear by Berkley Vanish but switched to Seaguar Flourocarbon based on practical experience with both.

Cheers

Ted

This is why I do buy from a store. If this does hapen, which it has to me, I can just take it back to them and they can deal with the supplier. Not defending the manufacture, but they need something tangable to go on. I can just imagine how many e-mails they get a day about faulty stuff from people just trying to get stuff. Being in retail, I know a lot of our suppliers will not even deal with you, you have to go to a retailer for service.

I have experienced this twice with braided lines. I was able to take it back from where I purchased it and get the problem resolved easily. It is not uncommon to have a bad line, luckily I didn't loose any trophies, or maybe I did? I still use the one brand exclusively with great faith, power pro.

One time I did have to deal with a Manufacture Daiwa about a lure that I purchased at LeBaron (whom I will not deal with for a long time). On the first cast the lure delaminated. Usually I wouldn't care, but it was a brand new $30.00 lure. Lebaron wanted nothing to do with it at all. I contacted Daiwa and explained why I had to deal dirrect. They fixed the problem right away as soon as they got the defective lure.

Get in touch with the president of the company, and voice your concerns in a courteous manner. If the president can't help you, boycott the company, and let us know who the manufacturer is.

Most President's, and or CEO's, have no idea what is going on within their company, and more times than not, will ensure that the customer is taken care of.

Good luck.

Why tell us your story and not say the Manufacturer. I think we would all like to know, because someone here can help you futher.

Not trying to hyjack the post. I had a problem with a Daiwa reel, I sent it back, they said they fixed it. I opened the package and the same thing. So I called and they actually said I'm SOL. After I hung up the phone I grad a sledge hammer, smashed it and will never buy a Daiwa product in my life again.

From now on ABU an SHIMANO.

Not hyjacking the post, just telling you I know how you feel.

Daniel

OCH

the postman always knocks twice

3 or 4 times if it says fragile ......

I have had a few problems with rods though the mail

I AGREE!!!!! Anybody with any experience in receiving packages knows for a fact that to every delivery service's teenage employee that a fragile sticker means DROP KICK that package like you are going for a field goal from the 20 yd line to win the Stupor Bowl..... I have seen it at all the terminals and talked to employees from all three of the major shippers and I have to steel myself to order stuff online but I still do it from time to time... But I sure wouldn't order any rod worth more than 30 bucks LOL.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I use a lot of 4 & 6 lb test for walleye fishing and last year decided to try Berkley's Transition. I wasn't very pleased with the product, I found it broke very easily and tangled a lot more easily than the mono lines so I contacted them and explained my concerns. They were very quick to respond and sent me some technical information about the line which pretty much confirmed what I had been experiencing with the product. Then I got an email from their Canadian distributor asking me to phone him directly. It took many tries before I actually got to talk with him but after reviewing everything with him he asked for my address and a few days later a new spool of line showed up. It wasn't the transitions but it was the vanish. I tried it but found that while it wasn't quite as bad I still prefered the mono I had been using and switched back to that.

I really think you should give the name of the manufacturer good or bad and I do think you should persue this further, it isn't about the cost of a spool of line it's about feedback on a product. If they get enough feedback good or bad it will help them developing/supplying better quality products. If they aren't interested in doing that then we will know to avoid their products.

I use a lot of 4 & 6 lb test for walleye fishing and last year decided to try Berkley's Transition. I wasn't very pleased with the product, I found it broke very easily and tangled a lot more easily than the mono lines so I contacted them and explained my concerns. They were very quick to respond and sent me some technical information about the line which pretty much confirmed what I had been experiencing with the product. Then I got an email from their Canadian distributor asking me to phone him directly. It took many tries before I actually got to talk with him but after reviewing everything with him he asked for my address and a few days later a new spool of line showed up. It wasn't the transitions but it was the vanish. I tried it but found that while it wasn't quite as bad I still prefered the mono I had been using and switched back to that.

I really think you should give the name of the manufacturer good or bad and I do think you should persue this further, it isn't about the cost of a spool of line it's about feedback on a product. If they get enough feedback good or bad it will help them developing/supplying better quality products. If they aren't interested in doing that then we will know to avoid their products.