Evinrude E-Tec -- Question & Opinions

musky_man

Hi,

I am considering retiring in the next 18-24 months and I am starting to look for my boat and motor combo that I will take musky fishing into my twilight years.

I generally fish on the Trent-Severn System and will rarely move from there -- most of the fishing will be in the canal areas and main water courses - not much in lake sections. Anyway, I have been doing some research into motors and I have always been impressed with the Evinrude E-Tecs, but very few people seem to own them. I am not sure if it is because they are 2-strokes, or because Merc/Yammy/Honda have more market penetration or ???. Every person I have talked to who owns one, without exception, has been very happy. They do seem to live up to all of the hype -- they are quiet, emissions are lower than most (maybe all) 4 stokes, they are light, they get great gas mileage and they seem to be reliable. The only negative I see is the need to add the oil -- but I think overall, with the less weight and better power ban, that is almost a trade-off with the 4s in terms of actual $ costs to run.

So -- I am looking for opinions/thoughts and experiences for those who have done comparable research or happen to own one.

Thanks,

Mark

I have no experience with the new e-tecs but I do have an Evinrude on my boat now. It is an '83 and works like a charm. I keep my boat at a marina that is a Merc dealer. As does another Evinrude guy. Our boats are the only ones that never had problems all summer. No problems except the smoke and noise that is to be expected.

I also grew up on a lake and all of our familly has either owned an Evinrude or Johnson and never had any problems. Heck my grandmothers 4 horse started on the first pull after being in storage for two years with not a thing done to it. She managed to sell the boat on the spot just because of that.

I would have to say that they all make great engines. Some people will have bad experiences and others great. If it is what makes you happy then go for it. If you treat it right, it will return the favour.

I've got no personal experience with them either Mark, but like you, I've heard nothing but good things about them and it seems like their new technology is gaining alot of support.

I watch quite a few of the fish'n tournies on TV and see an awful lot of the boats are now using the Evinrudes, so I'm assuming that's a good indication.

Good luck with whatever motor you decide on.

I own a 'Rude... it is not an E-Tec mind you... but it is a powerful engine for it's HP, It has not caused me a lick of problems, all I have done is routine maintenance, there was a time when Evinrude was not well regarded, back when VRO's were failing and engines were seizing.. This has left a sour taste in some peoples mouths..

I still have a 9.9 johnson and a 25hp johnson that run like champs! It was an easy decision for me to pick a Evinrude to power my boat.

Gerritt.

Hi musky man. I currently run a 175 Etec and its been a great engine. Its better on fuel than my previous 130 4 stroke Honda. I get to try out many types of boat-motor combinations in my situation. Part of the issue with fewer of them on the market is that Mercurys are often part of boat packages and to get an Evinrude put on it may be more costly. But if you are planning on repowering your boat I would say an E-tec would be a strong consideration.

I don't own one but get to fish with buddy that does. I like the motor, quiet, smooth and powerful at any point. Less oil than other 2 strokes. Other things to consider, where do you live and is your dealer nearby-just in case. The warranties were 7 yrs, how can you argue with that? Like any purchase it will come down to personal preference and the dealer that appeals to you.

Tough to go for a ride in one now, but if you are in no hurry and retirement is around the corner, take your time and make your decision count.

11_20_07_121.JPG

Irishfield,

Interesting comment re "not quiet". A guy that I know quite well has one and I have been right beside it many times while it has been running and I've barely been able to hear it. Now his is only a 50 HP -- maybe that's the reason.

I doubt I'll go much higher than 90HP.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

The etecs are definitely quiter than the the verado.Great motor Verado but not great on gas mileage and if you have a problem with the power head it has to be sent back to the factory .The great thing about the etec as well is the fact that it is a 2 stroke which gives you alot more torqur.There is 27 % more torque in the Etec than the comparable 4 stroke.Translated a 150 hp 4stroke actually only gives you 140 hp where as the 150 etec gives you 162 hp..... no brainer for me but some of the merc guys on this board get a little sensitive when i start talking about evinrude :whistling: Less weight ,less parts,bigger engine components for better durability,gas consumption,no break in period (drive it like you stole it LOL) no scheduled maintenace on the power head for 300hrs .... could go on but I might upset the merc guys. Evinrude all the way

Guest skeeter99

what ever you do dont run blue marble performance synthetic oil in it, a guy i know on tour blew up 2 engines in one summer and evinrude could not figure out why, both engines shipped to labs

they eneded up asking him what kind of oil etc... and things

the engineers ran blue marble at their test site and low and behold the tester blew up also

long story short the engineers found out the oil is to spec but the way it is delivered to the cylinder or being burned is the issue

** I have some blue marble oil actually 3 cases of it, it says in the instructions when using for first time to let engine idle for 10 mins and the rpm will increase (200) then it is safe to proceed**

something is going on there dont you think? looks like that oil under heat and pressure changes its lubricating features in this particular case!!!

I only run it in my lawn boy now LOL!!!

Edited by skeeter99

Saw this on another site....

This response is to the Mercury's Marines presents the important truth about DFI outboard engines, labeled Someone's about to get a Rude Awakening. This came out at last years Miami Boat Show. It was quickly looked at and gone over. It was also talked about here on the barn a few weeks after it was released last year.

In a way this is good news for the marine industry. Why? In the past years Mercury has stated that the Verado was there answer to everything. Now they realize that that its not and they need Optimax to move forward. They now join BRP in telling the marketplace that 2>4.

Some important things to look at in the ad are as follows.

Mercury's Claim: Optimax produces fewer emissions and iscleaner then E-TEC.

Fact: E-TEC produces lower TOTAL reportable emissions versus Optimax in every case.

Mercury's Claim: Optimax puts out 78.8 Carbon monoxide.

Fact: That number does not appear in the EPA data base and there is no reference as to source. The reference to 10% refers to one example & is miscalculated. 78.8 is not 10% less then 84.9%. According to the data in the EPA data base the CO# for the 225XS is 83.41(1.7%less not 10%). EPA data is available to the public at www.epa.gov.otag/certdata.htm#marinesi

Mercury's Claim: Optimax beats E-TEC in acceleration, top speed and weight. They failed to mention: E-TEC beat Optimax in top speed, acceleration and optimum fuel economy in the 90hp Bass & Walleye Boats shootout. E-TEC beat Optimax in top speed in the 200hpshootout. E-TEC beat Optimax in acceleration in the 225hp shootout.

Mercury's Claim: Optimax 225 Pro XS weights 520 lbs. E-TEC 225 weights 564 lbs.

Fact: The Optimax weight is 505 lbs and the E-TEC weight is 509 lbs.

Mercury's Claim: Despite E-TEC's claim, it is not maintenance free, (just check the owner's manual)

Fact: E-TEC claims 3 years or 300 hours no dealer scheduled maintenance. E-TEC maintenance section in the owner's manual is 1 page long. The Optimax maintenance section in there owners manual is10 pages long. You can look in either manual and you will see.

Mercury's Claim: Optimax is designed with innovative features such as freshwater flushing, lightweight cowels, see thru fluid reservoirs & easy to follow operators manual.

Fact: Evinrude was the first to market freshwater flushing port in 1990. Evinrude invented it. Evinrude also uses lightweight cowles, see thru reservoirs, & easy to follow Manuals. Evinrude just don't brag about it since these features are all basic standards in the industry for all manufacturers.

Mercury's Claim: Exhaust is routed through the gearcase and exit through the prop area.

Fact: So is the exhaust of virtually every outboard in the industry 10hp and above.

Mercury's Claim: E-TEC cost more and provides less.

Fact: MSRP is the manufacturers suggested retail price. Mercury suggests that an Optimax is notworth as much as an ETEC.

Mercury Claims: Optimax is the No. 1 selling DFI outboard in the world.

Fact: It sure doesn't hurt you be your own customer.

Mercury Claims: Unlike E-TEC which offers a third party aftermarket warranty package, every Mercury comes with a three year factory backed non declining warranty.

Fact: E-TEC of course offers a three year factory backed non declining warranty. The Mercury 250SX,225 Sport XS and the 200XS all come with only a two year warranty.

Bass and Walleye Magazine rules for the shootouts are as follows: Each manufacture is to bring only a stock production engines to the test. Each engine must be in the exact configuration in which it will be offered to the general public.

Fact: Mercury showed up with its 225 Pro XS. It was equipped with solid mounts and the SportMaster lower unit. This model was not then, and is not today available in that configuration. It is available as a 225 Sport XS and is from there race division & carries a 2 year warranty.

As you can see the ad has several highly inaccurate statements. Perhaps this is why you do not see it much when you go to your Mercury dealer or at a boat show.

Please note that I did not take this from a mailing from BRP. It is in my words. We did receive input from BRP on this matter last year. I did foward this response to them before I posted it to be sure the information was correct. Like I have been stating that our advertising is against the 4 stroke as this is what the market feels they need. Will there come a time for the 2 stroke vrs 2 stroke? Yes im sure there will be. This is what keeps todays OEM's at the drawing boards. It has raised the standard and the bar of todays outboards. It is a win-win for everyone.

Barnacle Bills Marine

K heres my 2 cents,ive got an 07 115 Etec,ive had Merc, Yamaha,Omc ,THIS MOTOR is AMAZING on fuel, it is thats the truth,it is alot harder on oil then the claims they promise it burns alot of oil and at 60.00 gallon it adds up fast ,say 5-7 gallons per average yr 100-120hrs,compared to a single oil change on a 4 stroke,Power wise it has no more no less than its 4 stoke competition,the video of it sinking a Yamaha is a JOKE,head to head running around last yr a Friends boat Lund with the 115 4s Yamaha and my boat about equal weight we where nose to nose out of the hole I edged him a bit off plane I have trim tabs and he sneaked by ,got me by 2-3 boat lenghts,the Etec engines likes to be mounted High and need it to acheive max rpm and to turn a decent size prop in comparasion to the competition,trolling heavy for muskie 5-6 days a week 3-4 hrs night for a month I fouled a set of plugs ,at 16.00 a plug it also adds up,knowing what I know now after all the hype would I buy another NO ,am I satisfied with the power,fuel economy Yes,does it start all the time within 1 revouloution yes it does ,it is quite altho it does make some disturbing noises,squeaking ,rattling etc etc but they all do ,ill prob keep this engine as the dealer is less than a mile from my house,my dad is a service tech for BRP ETC ETC ,but all the elec systems and so on .price of the oil ,XD 100 actually was on BO in the later part of the summer whats the deal there I have no idea,YOU cant go wrong with either a Yamaha or Suzuki 4S both solid products,either way good luck and post pics

Hi musky man. I currently run a 175 Etec and its been a great engine. Its better on fuel than my previous 130 4 stroke Honda. I get to try out many types of boat-motor combinations in my situation. Part of the issue with fewer of them on the market is that Mercurys are often part of boat packages and to get an Evinrude put on it may be more costly. But if you are planning on repowering your boat I would say an E-tec would be a strong consideration.

OK Bernie I have to ask this question and I don't know the answer.Honda does not make a 175hp but if they did would the gas mileage on your current boat improve.I know your max hp is 175 for your boat.Could it be that the 130hp was forcing too much?

OK Bernie I have to ask this question and I don't know the answer.Honda does not make a 175hp but if they did would the gas mileage on your current boat improve.I know your max hp is 175 for your boat.Could it be that the 130hp was forcing too much?

No I dont believe so Mike. The E-tecs really are very good on fuel. Part of it is that the fuel is being burned more efficiently than regular 2 strokes With the fuel being injected directly into the cylinder. No camshafts to turn or valves to lift allows more of the power to reach the propeller and greatly increases power to weight ratios. Dont get me wrong, the Honda is a great engine but it didnt fit my needs. Perhaps on a pontoon boat or a deck boat would be ideal. Fortunately there are many options available to all of us.

Just a note on the noise levels. The Honda and the Etec would be very close. And as far as the exhaust odor I dont find it any different than the Honda was. They burn very clean.

It has to be a pretty good design as BRP is introducing the same type of system in their SKI DOO snowmobiles.Two strokes are far from dead yet and the technology with today's synthetic oils is proving to be as good as 4 strokes.

Kerry