Your favourite winter recipes? (NF)

Gerritt

Well I know we all have our winter (Comfort) foods....

Mine is Sophisticated Meatballs, I will post the recipe in a bit.. But alot remember it from the Nipissing ice fishing trip a couple years back.. Hearty and filling! Just ask Diplip LOL

Chili's, Casseroles, Stews, Things that stick to your ribs... Lets Hear them!!

I will be sure to add the good ones to my recipe book (I am the main cook) and will be sure to try them out!

I will have mine posted shortly!

G.

Edited by Gerritt

My moms creation...

Sophisticated meatballs...

Pretty simple but will feed an army!

Meatballs

take 3-4 or 5 pounds of lean ground beef, Venison or turkey for you non red meat eaters..

Add various spices (to your taste)

Add Chopped onions

Add Chopped Celery

Add some cooked rice (non instant works best)

Breadcrumbs

and a couple eggs

Mix with your (hopefully washed hands)

and form into meatballs.... BIG ONES! should get about 18-24 Meatballs.

Place on a tray and put in the oven till the internal temp is 170 degrees.

Sauce

This is simple.....

Get a whack load of can of Campbells Mushroom Soup..The condensed type.. (Best bought from costco)

Get a honking brick or two of cream cheese (also from Costco) Cut into cubes

Pepper to taste..

Simmer on low till cream cheese is melted

Add more pepper

now add a bit of milk... about a cup to make is nice and smooth

Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and simmer about 30-35 minutes... Enjoy a beer.

Cook up some broad egg noodle

Spoon sauce and meatballs over the noodles...

Be careful here... I bet you cant eat everything you took! LOL

Enjoy.

G.

Ok here ya go

JIGS DINNER

1 BUCKETS OF SALT BEEF {THE SMALL ONE}

1LB CARROTS

1LB PARSNIPS

1 LARGER TURNIP

5 LB POTATOES

1 LARGE CABBAGE

1 6-8 POUND ROASTING CHICKEN

BOIL THE BEEF IN A LARGE POT FOR ABOUT 4-6 HOURS {YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE THE WATER AS IT MAYBE TO SALTY TO THE TASTE FOR SOME. I LET IT STAND THE WAY IT IS.

ADD THE VEGGIES

FIRST THE TURNIP,THEN THE CARROTS,THEN THE POTATOES AFTER THAT THE CABBAGE .ALL WITHIN AN HOUR SPAN. TURNIP TAKES THE LONGEST TO BOIL.

IN A ROASTING POT,YOU PUT THE BIRD IN.RUB IN WITH BUTTER AND SEASON WITH WHAT EVER YOU LIKE.ADD ONE LARGE ONION SLICDED IN BIG CHUNKS.

IN A SAUCE PAN YOU WANT TO MELT SOME BUTTER AND PUT IN SOME SAVORY. THIS YOU WILL USE FOR BASTING.

YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH THIS DINNER AS IT,S AN ALL IN ONE,EXCEPT FOR THE BIRD.

OH THE GRAVEY.

PUT THE DRIPPINGS FROM THE BIRD AND ADD A 1/2 CUP OF THE SALT WATER BRINE FROM THE MEAT AND VEGGIES. MIX UP SOME FLOUR AND WATER IN A MASON JAR AND STIR IN.

ENJOY,I ALWAYS DO.

AS FOR THE PEAS PUDDIN OR MALLASSES PUDDIN,MY NAN MADE IT, BUT I NEVER GOT THAT FROM HER. :(:(

Yes Gerritt, I remember that. Heart attack in a pot :lol:

That was some goooooood!!!

Paul still raves about it to this day.

I think I'll have to give it a whirl.

Here's one of my own fave's

Potato, Leek and Chicken Pot Pie ala Joey:

5 or 6 waxy potatoes, cubed.

2 tbsp Butter

3 Skinned Chicken Breasts, cubed

1 Leek

10 Mushrooms, sliced

2 tbsp flour

300 ml Milk

1 tsp Dry Mustard

2 tsp chopped Fresh Sage

225 g Filo Pastry or puff pastry

Frozen assorted vegetables (peas, carrots, etc.)

Paprika

Onion Powder

Celery Powder/salt

Garlic Powder

Parsley

3 tbsp melted butter

Cook the potato cubes in a saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes, set aside after draining.

Melt the 2 tbsp butter in a frying pan and cook the chicken cubes for 5 minutes until browned (or used leftover chicken or turkey)

Add the leeks and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the frozen vegetables and cook and stir for

another 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Gradually add the milk and bring to a boil.

Add the dry mustard, fresh sage, potato cubes and the remaining spices and leave the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.

Add more milk if required.

Meanwhile, in a deep pie dish line half of the filo or puff pastry.

Spoon the sauce into the dish and if using filo pastry, line one sheet of filo and brush with melted butter, then another filo pastry sheet, and

brush with butter, etc. until you have added about 6 filo pastry sheets (more if desired).

If using puff pastry, just line with enough puff pastry to cover and brush with melted butter (you will not need as much melted butter).

I like using both, the bottom of the pie with puff pastry and the top with filo.

Cook at 375 deg for about 45 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.

I can't stress enough how important it is to use fresh sage. It will not be the same if you use dried sage.

Enjoy

Joey

Good stuff so far.We need a recipe section on this board somewhere.I am partial to this fish chowder recipe.I use a bit more bacon than the recipe calls for.Thats American bacon by the way.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/recip...01_FishChowder/

Joe

Ask and you shall receive! http://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes/

Now to get that All-Kn0wing All-Powerful Busy webmaster of ours to update it! LOL..... Nudge Nudge.. ;)

Great recipes so far guys!

Now... I could use a decent chili recipe.... mine is getting tired...

Joey, Misfish and Spiel... thanks for the recipes! Uhmmm Spiel I'll add yours to my bartenders cook-book :thumbsup_anim:

G.

Keep em coming guys!

PS... Pete get one from your wife! LOL.... must be nice to be a "kept" man LOL!

Edited by Gerritt

Sorry Gerritt I can't help you with the chili, as much as I'd like to, sadly I can't eat the beans that go with it :( I can however provide you with a Mac and Cheese like you've never had :D

You need a decent sized caserole dish, cook about 4 cups macaroni elbows,

while that's cooking shred up lots of Cheddar Cheese, I use old because I like the bite of it, but any will do.

Have flour and pepper and tomato juice on hand.

cover the bottom of the caserole dish with macaroni...just,

spinkle about a table spoon of flour over it, add pepper to your taste and cover with shredded cheese.

pour some tomato juice over it, maybe just enough to wet it.

Put on another layer of macaroni, flour, pepper and cheese and tomato juice.

Repeat until caseerole dish is almost full. for the last layer, leave out the flour, pour on the tomato juice until the dish is pretty much full, cover the top with shredded cheese....the more the better :D

Bake in the over at 375 for approx. 45-60 minutes, uncovered. If you like crispy cheese, turn on the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so.

If you really like tomatos, add some chopped tomatos to each layer. I have also added onions to mine, the variations are endless :D

I hope all that makes sense, no one has ever written it down before as far as I know.

Maureen

If you like tim hortons dutchies, here is the real thing:

Oliebollen:

INGREDIENTS

1 (0.6 ounce) cake compressed fresh yeast

1 cup lukewarm milk

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons salt

1 egg

3/4 cup dried currants

3/4 cup raisins

1 Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and finely chopped

1 quart vegetable oil for deep-frying

1 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting

READ REVIEWS (7)

Review/Rate This Recipe

Save To Recipe Box

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

Post a Recipe Photo

Post a Favorite Food List

Create a Menu

DIRECTIONS

Break up the compressed yeast, and stir into the warm milk. Let stand for a few minutes to dissolve. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir the yeast mixture and egg into the flour and mix into a smooth batter. Stir in the currants, raisins and apple. Cover the bowl, and leave the batter in a warm place to rise until double in size. This will take about 1 hour.

Heat the oil in a deep-fryer, or heavy deep pan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Use 2 metal spoons to shape scoops of dough into balls, and drop them carefully into the hot oil.

Fry the balls until golden brown, about 8 minutes. The doughnuts should be soft and not greasy. If the oil is not hot enough, the outside will be tough and the insides greasy. Drain finished doughnuts on paper towels and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve them piled on a dish with more confectioners' sugar dusted over them. Eat them hot if possible.

Chicken Paprikash

This is an old Hungarian recipe which is essentially, Hungarian style stew. You can substitute stewing beef for chicken (veal is also quite nice) but by in large, most use this with chicken. (My personal favorite is the same recipe as below, with a pound of chicken livers added as well!)

-one large onion - finely chopped

-enough chicken to feed your crew - I prefer chicken on the bone = more flavour - cut into pieces

-one large and ripe tomato

-garlic! as it's my "birthstone" I put in more than most! - fresh and finely chopped

-Paprika - 3-4 tablespoons

-water or chicken stock, your choice

-salt and pepper to taste

-cayenne pepper to taste

- 2 tablespoons of olive oil - lard works just as well! LOL (if you have access to smoked/dried Hungarian sausage "Chubai" , dice it and fry out the fat and substitute the sauasge fat for the olive oil. Those who like heat, get the hot Chubai! Jsut remove the cooked out sauasge before adding the paprika. You can always add the sausage back in , just before serving!

Ok, here we go!

-bring a large stewing pot up to heat.

-add chopped onions and oil to the pot. stir the onions continuously until they go brown, DON'T LET THEM BURN! IT will taint the whole dish!

-as soon as the onions are browned, add the paprika and take the pot off the stove... stirring the onion and paprika mix until the paprika starts to cook (you may need to put the pot back on the burner for a few seconds, just to keep the heat up. You'll know when it's cooked as the colour of the mixture will be dark brown.

-remove the pot from heat, add the garlic, chicken pieces and tomato.

-add the water/stock to only cover3/4 of the chicken... adding too much stock/water will dilute the sauce

-add salt, pepper and cayenne (to taste) and bring pot to a boil

-reduce heat to a low simmer for at least two hours

-serve over rice, noodles or what ever you like!

This recipe will most certainly stick to your ribs and keep yer innards warm.

HH

Geez...I wish I would have seen this post earlier...Like Gerritt, I to am the main cook....My Grandmother was Hungarian and raised me from when I was 3 months old...I've learned everything about cooking from her :thumbsup_anim: ....

I just finished making Hungarian Cabbage rolls and Beef/Pesto/Cheese stuffed Manicotti (my wife is Italian) for our ice fishin trip weekend to Temagami tomorrow....

Here's some pics of the finished goods!! If I would have read this post yesterday, I could have posted the pics as I was preparing the dishes...I'll post the recipes when I get back next week!!

Hungarian Cabbage rolls

20080124_0001.jpg

20080124_0001_1.jpg

The Manicotti

Steve

Here's a easy one...

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

1 tbsp. butter

1/2 lb. skinned, boned chicken breast halves

1/2 c. onion, chopped

1/2 c. celery, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 (26 oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped

1 c. sliced, fresh mushrooms

1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped

1/4 c. green pepper, chopped

1 tsp. dried whole basil

1 tsp. dried whole oregano

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/8 tsp. red pepper

Melt butter over low heat in a large skillet; add chicken and cook until lightly browned. Chop chicken, and set aside. Add onion, celery and garlic to butter to skillet; saute until vegetables are tender. Return chicken to skillet with tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.

NOTE: Chicken Cacciatore may be served over hot cooked rice or noodles that have been cooked without salt or fat.

Another easy one, makes a big pot but is just a good when recipe is cut in half...

Vegetable Barley Soup

INGREDIENTS:

2 quarts vegetable broth

1 cup uncooked barley

2 large carrots, chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice

1 zucchini, chopped

1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained

1 onion, chopped

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1.Pour the vegetable broth into a large pot. Add the barley, carrots, celery, tomatoes, zucchini, garbanzo beans, onion, and bay leaves. Season with garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, parsley, curry powder, paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 90 minutes. The soup will be very thick. You may adjust by adding more broth or less barley if desired. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Mushroom Chicken - can be eaten all year round :) My personal favourite

3 - 5 pieces of boneless skinless Chicken breasts

2 - gloves of garlic, minced

1 - package of sliced fresh mushrooms, or as many as you like

1 - can of condensed mushroom soup (50% less salt - better for ya)

Use the empty can of soup and fill with milk....can use skim milk. (can also do half milk, half water)

Egg noodles

In large fry pan, on high, cook the chicken in olive oil for 5 min each side.

Once the chicken is nicely browned, remove from frying pan and set aside. Turn temp down to medium-low.

In same frying pan, add the minced garlic for about 30 seconds. Then add the mushrooms. Allow the mushrooms to cook a bit.

Then add the can of mushroom soup. Fill the empty soup can with milk, (can do half milk half water) and add to mushrooms and garlic.

Stir a bit and replace the chicken back into the frying pan.

Simmer.

In another pot (hopefully you ain't the one doing the dishes), boil water and add your egg noodles. (amount varying of how many are going to eat)

I also like to steam broccoli and have that as well.

Very tasty...and quite healthy.

Enjoy.

Chili aka beef stew meet

take beef stew meat and soak it in bourbon or beer overnight

with a as much hot sauce you want

Also fix a crock pot of Black Beans, kidney beans, pinto beans

Next day preparation includes:

Put water in skillet (enough to cover meat) with 2 tablespoons favorite oil and chili seasoning

add the meat and cook till pink centers

Now prepare either diced or whole tomatoes, slow cook in large pot

add 2 cloves of garlic

cut thick chunks of bell peppers, cubanelles and whatever hot peppers you like

along with onions sautee those in butter

Now add all this together and slow cook for an hour

Make it as hot as you want, experiment......

Flat bread goes well with this!

Have fun eating!

Lorissa