Musky Casting Reel Guidance

RHYBAK

Could I please get some feed back from all the musky experts.

I'm in the market for a casting reel and I don't want to spend over 400 on a Shimano Calcutta 400 TE.

I am looking at the St. Croix Avid300,The Daiwa LUNA300 and the Calcutta 400CT.

Any remarks or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Both Lew and Raf have made good points. I can back up what they say. I have a Calcutta 400 and love it. I have used it for one season and have nothing bad to say about it. Towards the end of the year i picked up a abu 6500 C3 and its also a very nice real. You could buy two of those for the price of one calcutta.

Edited by mattyk

I too use an abu c3 6501 for musky fishing and really like it. I'm sure that there may be better, pricier reels out there but the abu is good enough that you don't know and don't really care what you are missing. Then again you can never have too many reels.....I did just pick up a Curado and wouldn't mind a Quantum Cabo........Decisions, decisions indeed.

The Quantum Cabos are great reels. I've had mine for two seasons and they are still going strong. CBC31PTS is the model I believe. 30 for righties. I think they are a lil more expensive than the 6500s but much less than the Calcutta.

My muskie arsenal consists of:

2 6501C3s

1 7001

2 Cabos

1 Okuma Convector Linecounter for trolling

All see lots of use and abuse and have stood up.

Edited by Raf

Hey Mepps I seen your avatar picture on the WFN commercial today...nice one.

I would go with 2 big game abu's 7000 as well. The Luna gets the best reviews from a lot of the big musky boards even better than the Calcutta some would say but I've never tried one and as far as I know the St Croix is the exact same reel as the Luna, made by daiwa it just has a St Croix sticker on it so those are the same.

Another reel is the Okuma Induron 400, I've had one for the last two years, it has some plastic but it's cheap and works good.

I like the Abu 5600C4 for casting (it has a higher retrieve ratio than the C3) and burning bucktails. It has been problem free for 4 years now.

I use the Abu 6500C4 for trolling, 7 years and still going strong.

I received a Shimano Corsair CS300A, just after x-mas, from a buddy who is giving up Musky fishing. He hooked his partner in the neck with a giant spinnerbait and is going back to walleye driftin' and jiggin'. He caught a 50" snake musky in Pigeon 3 years ago with it, so it's gotta be lucky. I'm going to use it for large soft plastics on Cobra jigs.

Some good advice from the Boyz!

I have used the c4 5600, calcutta and morrums for casting and they are all good - my personal fav is the morrum though. I find it the smoothest running of the lot. Depending in what you can pick them up for, the c4 can be a great value though.

For trolling, I have used the c4 6500 and the Okuma catalina - and it is the catalina hands down.

:-)

I had a c4 that I was using for salmon and muskie.

One day salmon fishing the c4 went off.

before I could get to the rod, some thing happened to the reel.

I believe the drag seize.

It rip the holder out and I kissed the rod and reel good by.

Will never buy another one.

I also keep my reels in top notch condition.