Keep Or Release?

urbanangler1990

I kept one walleye around 5lbs a couple weeks ago it was the smallest one I got all day so I decided to keep it, got home to clean it and it was already full of eggs, I was upset a little at myself but I figured it was the smallest one out of 12-15 fish and didn't look like it had eggs but you never know I guess.

i think that if im in a lake fishing say for lakers and as we all know most of the province has slot limits for lakers and on some lakes we have fished we can catch 5-10 lakers before we are able to keep one as they are all in the slot ,from now on im going to go barbless, its probably the best thing to do to slow down the mortality,as with lake trout ,they have a higher rate of dying especially in the summer when they come up from the depths....i think thats a good idea as lakers twist ,and twist and alot of the time they injure themselves before you can even get them off the hook,another thing is to keep the fish in the water as it will not take off any slime,or use a cradle or a rubber net as not to hurt the fish...cheers

I don't know who you are talking about but which ever mod it is certainly will. Why not PM them if you have a problem with something they said before? Or better yet, participate in that thread since it would apply to the subject. Why bring something unrelated into someone elses thread?

Yah, I now regret keeping all those tasty brookies from my spots up north. THe inner meathunter in me didnt think of the consequence and reality of harvesting a small population. The much greater joy of consistently catching large quantities now outweight the deslicious red meat and flaky texture smothered in butter and dripping with lime juice.

Keep or Release??? Depends on how far and how much money was spent on the trip. Algonquin, Thunder Bay, Barry's Bay all factor my decision if i'm lucky to connect with delicious specimens. Good Thread.

I probably release 98% of the fish I catch. I keep the odd bass if we intend on having a fish fry.

I have to admit that I really don't like cleaning/killing them. Usually run the blade through their brain to hopefully put them out of their misery before filleting.

The only time that I really feel bad is the odd time I'm cleaning a Smallie and after it's too late you realize it has worms. Man that is a bummer.

I don't understand why I never get a largemouth with worms, only smallies which logic would say should be the other way around given that smallies are usually in deeper, cooler water. Can someone explain that?

all musky..bass i release to swim another day as well as walleye 3lbs and over..i prefer the smaller ones unless im fishing on the lake where mt cottage is located and i know the walleye are just making a comeback i put everything back..only to see the neighbours fish and keep them...but a couple small fish kept for a fry never hurt anyone

blyght and I release almost everything we catch....whether it's a 12" bullhead or a 32" walleye. The only one we've kept was a 15lb walleye that blyght tried to release for over a half and hour in vain. She was hooked deeply and unfortunately was hooked in the gills. Blood was everywhere. We are making sure that her legacy continues....we're getting it mounted in the new year.

Like most others, I only feel bad, when I have to keep a fish I wanted to release, or release I fish I wish I could keep because I know it won't make it.

That being said, most fishing I do around home is for pan fish and bass. I don't keep any bass, but have no problem keeping pan fish. They have very strong populations, strong reproduction, and they call them pan fish for a reason....they taste so good in the pan....especially with a nice steak:

myplate.jpg

When I'm up your alls way, we'll keep a couple fish each for the fish fries, but don't bring any home, and work hard to realease as many fish as possible....only keeping what we need for that night's feed.

I think it boils down to "each his own" as long as they are within the limits of the laws. I don't think keeping a leagl limit makes you less of a "sportsman", but just makes you a "sportsman" with a different opinion on keeping fish then maybe another "sportsman" has...and there is nothing wrong with a difference in opinions, as long as everyone can remain civil, and all have the well-being of the sport they love at heart!

dk

I usually keep a couple in a season... Never limit out and very seldom if ever keep naturally reproducing trout... I Hunt and fish and because I know I eat all edible and usable parts I feel no remorse or sorrow... Its called the food chain and its alot healthier than any of the food you can buy now anyway... My two cents,

Bill