Recipes

Gerry

It's been a while since I've seen this as a topic. Let's hear about your favorite recipe, be it for walleye, salmon, steak marinade, chicken wings, baked beans, etc.. And if we get enough perhaps our admin guys can set up a special section to hold them.

Bacon Wrapped Pickerel

Not my recipe but a favourite I learned from the board.

Take one Pickerel and fillet.

gallery_39_120_97249.jpg

Cut into chunks and marinate if you like in Italian Dressing.

Take bacon strip and cut in half. Wrap chunks in Bacon and secure with toothpick.

BBQ and baste with sauce of your choice.

gallery_39_120_43602.jpg

One thing I found is that the bacon takes way loonger to cook than the fish. Leads to over cooked pickerel IMHO. I would suggest that you use the precooked bacon or at least start it in the Microwave before wrapping.

Edited by Nemo

Here's a side dish to go with just about anything!

Asparagas - marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, coarse (kosher) salt, fresh ground pepper and chopped garlic... overnight if you can. Minimum time an hour.

Red Bell pepper - sliced into strips slightly smaller than the asparagas

Any smoked firm cheese, again cut into strips, the same size as the red peppers

Procuitto!

Arrange 3-4 spears of asparagas (depending on thickness) on a single slice of procuitto. Add the bell pepper and cheese and roll it up into a "roulladin" and secure with a tooth pic.

Grill on med to medium high until procuitto is almost crispy.

EAT! :thumbsup_anim:

I've always liked my veggies to have some meat in them!

HH

Here's a side dish to go with just about anything!

Asparagas - marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, coarse (kosher) salt, fresh ground pepper and chopped garlic... overnight if you can. Minimum time an hour.

Red Bell pepper - sliced into strips slightly smaller than the asparagas

Any smoked firm cheese, again cut into strips, the same size as the red peppers

Procuitto!

Arrange 3-4 spears of asparagas (depending on thickness) on a single slice of procuitto. Add the bell pepper and cheese and roll it up into a "roulladin" and secure with a tooth pic.

Grill on med to medium high until procuitto is almost crispy.

EAT! :thumbsup_anim:

I've always liked my veggies to have some meat in them!

HH

I'm not a really big fan of Asparagas. HH made this for dinner when were out at the g2g at Merlands. Needless to say, I couldn't get enough of them. DELICIOUS!!!!!!

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

one bear roast

one pouch of onion soup mix

1 cup water

potatoes

carrots

put in slow cooker allllllllll day, serve and enjoy, i've never met anybody who didn't like it, just tell em its beef :dunno:

partridge

onion

bacon

margarine

foil

put one partridge, slice o' onion, 2 slice o' bacon couple tbsp. margarine, triple wrapped in foil, put on outer edge of campfire 10 mins. turn cook till done

Bacon Chedder Deviled Eggs

Tell me this isn't wicked!!

INGREDIENTS

12 eggs

1/2 cup mayonnaise ( I use Hellman's)

4 slices bacon (ok, here, I just use like half a cup of pre-cooked bacon to shorten the time factor).

2 tablespoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese

1 tablespoon prepared mustard

DIRECTIONS

Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. To cool more quickly, rinse eggs under cold running water.

Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Alternatively, wrap bacon in paper towels and cook in the microwave for about 1 minute per slice. Crumble and set aside.

Peel the hard-cooked eggs, and cut in half lengthwise. Remove yolks to a small bowl. Mash egg yolks with mayonnaise, crumbled bacon and cheese. Stir in mustard. Fill egg white halves with the yolk mixture and refrigerate until serving.

The only other thing that I add is some fresh chives. I just chop some up and sprinkle them on top.

Enjoy!

Chris

It's not really a recipe, but if you go to any west indian store and ask for escoveitch sauce. Pour the sauce in a pot and boil it with a whole grated cucumber. Pour it over some fillets that have been dipped in flour and fried. Man its good, spicy but good. And its even good cold.

Fisherman's Pie

Peel and cook 6 medium potatoes...mash with some butter and milk...salt and pepper to taste

Grate 1/4 cup old cheddar cheese

Cube 1 lb white fleshed fish (I prefer haddock) into 1 inch pieces

Place in baking dish...toss in a couple of handfulls of frozen peas

Spoon 1/2 can of Campbells Cream of Mushroom soup (or Cream of Celery) over fish and peas

Cover this with mashed potatoes then sprinkle cheese over top

Bake in 400*F oven for 25-35 minutes depending on the thawed extent of the fish

Serve with a tossed salad

I make myself a cup of soup by filling the remainder of the can with milk and heat it in the measuring cup in the microwave to have while I'm waiting for this pie to cook...saves washing extra dishes...

• 4 months later...

For pan fish I prefer a light batter of fine bread crumbs (can be Italian with the seasonings in) or simply flour salt and pepper. Dip in flour first then in egg wash then into breading and fry in butter not margarine. I prefer this because the pan fish are so mild it doesn't over power them. Dipping in flour first helps to keep the breading on the fish.

Both sound good thanks!! lol

We do something now on the BBQ and I am wondering if this would work.

We take Tin foil basically 2 sheets and fold em over so they are doubled.

We place one down and throw Snowpeas, Green peppers and Mushrooms we generally also throw in some Garlic, Onions and parslie and then cover with the 2nd piece and let cook on the BBQ for roughly 20 mins or so.

Would it be possible to throw the fillets right in there maybe adding a little lemon or similar?

Thanks and any and all ideas are welcome would be nice to have a sticky or somthing with everyone's fav recipes. Trailer time is coming.

Edited by mrdylan

Perch Fillets

Carnation milk

Graham cracker crumbs or wafers which you crush yourself

Butter

Dry perch fillets , dip in carnation milk, and then cover with graham cracker crumbs, fry till done in the butter and enjoy!

Great on an open fire as a snack

Loaf of crusty bread, heavy pot or skillet with a lid, crushed garlic, olive oil and a huge bag of mussels.

Heat about a half inch of oil in the pan, add garlic and mussels, cover and let cook till the shells are opened.

Remove from heat and enjoy, eat the bread after dipping it in the broth that is created...

Simple easy snack!

If you mix this one up before you leave on your fishing trip it works well too

5 c flour

1/2 c lard

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp baking powder

1/4 cup oil

mix everything except the oil cutting in the lard with a couple of knives or use the food processor. Throw this in a zip lock. The oil is for frying it during your shore lunch.

Mix two cups of the above mix with one cup of water, preheat frying pan and oil then remove from fire and pat the mixture into the pan, return to the fire until the bread is golden brown around the edges, flip and brown the other side.

This can also be mixed and squeezed onto the end of a stick in small amounts and baked over an open fire...it will look like a cat tail when done. Eat this with butter and jam for breakfast in the morning... mmm

Edited by Jen

I got this one at a community corn roast at our subdivision.

Walleye Pizza

Take walley fillets and lay them on a pizza pan to form the pizza bottom

Top the fillets with your pizza sauce and add your favourite toppings then spread mozza cheese over them and bake until the cheese is melted and browned to your liking.

It may not sound too good but it was the one dish at this corn roast the crowd couldn't get enough of, you had to be quick to get any.

Done this twice in the last week and I think I'm addicted, below is the recipe and man are these things good. I have tweeked a little bit though

4-5 lbs Northern Pike (or walleye) fillets -- cut into 1" cubes

1 lb bacon strips, cut in half

Italian style dressing

Your favourite BBQ sauce

Bamboo skewers

Marinate cubed fish in Italian style dressing for 1 hour. Wrap bacon strips around marinated fish cubes. Spear into skewers so bacon doesn't unravel. Repeat until skewers are full. Cook over medium heat on barbecue; turn continually. Brush on your favourite BBQ sauce when the bacon begins to get crisp. Continue turning periodically until fish is white and bacon is crisp.

Caution: Keep a watch on the skewers. The fat from the bacon causes flare-ups

I make a pan out of tin foil and put some olive oil in the bottom before I put the wraps in to eliminate flare ups. Haven't put any BBQ sauce on them yet the first time had them plain and the second time just peppered them with hot sauce, goes well with a ice cold beer :thumbsup: :D

LakeErie07001.jpg

LakeErie07002.jpg

LakeErie07003.jpg

Whopper

Baked Beans (Traditional)

Good old-fashioned baked beans without soaking ahead of time

1 lb. dried small white beans , rinsed

41/2 cups water

½ cup molasses

½ cup brown sugar

1 onion , chopped

½ pound raw bacon , sliced into small pieces

2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard

½ teaspoon salt

1/3 cup ketchup

½ teaspoon liquid smoke

In slow-cooker , combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW , 13 to 14 hours , stirring occasionally , if possible. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Enjoy!

Regards,

Snowball