Bass pro rant

mistaredone

Gander Mountain has been great to me for a long time. The new super store in Hermantown, MN is worth a look. I hope GM can hold on. They went public in 2004 at about $25.50 a share and today they're down to just above $4. They're building a new store in Eau Claire, WI, so I suppose the company is making money, but the stock isn't selling.

Lets face it, We could be Whining about the same thing in 2 years from now. As long as we pay the high prices we will get gouged or Excuses. I can't understand how CT can have as cheap sales as what they have been doing. But I'm glad they are. There are certain stores that will have incredible deals on fishing gear as they want to get rid of it. Prince Albert is an Example. 5 dollars on Rapalas. But here in North Battleford not one sale in the fishing department for over a year. Were talking outside the advertised deals. As far as Gas, we are getting gouged but as long as we are quiet, why would anybody lessen their pockets for the good of the Consumer. Remember the Ice storm on how some stores Raised prices on Naptha for a profit. As far as Bass Pro, I would make the trip, but usually never really found any good deals, but I found a Cherrywood Rod for 15dollars at CTC in Orillia. What is my Point, as long as we get gouged, shop elsewhere. Looks like the best deals maybe the Internet paying in US dollars. As far as these Car dealers now saying that we are getting deals for our high dollar, is that really True, or is it the usual end of the year deals to make room for the new year under a different advertisement gimmick. Do I sound Peeved, you bet I do. In the last 2 years gas shot up almost twice as much. Petroleum products are going up, Anything made of wheat is going up, now meat is going up because they got to eat grains. But here's a Kicker, we will get taxed soon on Carbon emissions, while my neighbor buys the SUV. But hey, we have a choice.

They do it because we buy stuff there. The website is cheaper but fishing purchases are a lot like golf purchases, done on impulse. You see it, you touch it, you feel it, you like it & then you buy it. Off the web, it's more of a planned purchase, you do your homework, find the best price and pull the trigger.

The print showing "funds in U.S. dollars" could be in bold print 25" high... and it would still be wrong !!!!

We are getting hosed by B.P.S. plain and simple. We will continue to get hosed until pricing is at par.

Stock bought at times when the dollar was lower have long gone.

Stop buying there and watch how quickly things change.

Hookset.

I understand why everyone is p-o'd at Bass Pros. I really do think they are gouging, but will continue to do so. In order for them to justify being in another country with just one store the overhead has to be considerably higher and so the prices will follow. If you think about the extra costs involved in transportation including a lovely border crossing and the paperwork,duties, etc. that entails(remember everything they sell isn't from just the US and Canada), a completely different tax system,legal system etc.. Add to that the fact that if the owner has a bunch of stock that he bought previously at say 15 or 20% on the dollar he'll want to sell that first at a higher price to somewhat compensate. That should change over the next few months as the new stock will be coming in at almost par. Now if they expand more into Canada,those costs should be lessened or at least divided amond two or three stores and you'll see prices come down somewhat. All this doesn't make it right or mean that anyone has to buy from them instead of a local shop or LB's. There is a differnce however when going to BPS as far as the entertainment value. The fish inthe tanks,looking at the boats etc. You can spend an afternoon in there. It's great when you go with a buddy or bring the family and they can keep amused in there or in the huge mall that's right there. Think of BPS as going to a restaurant. You don't always get your groceries there and it's definetely more money, but once in a while it's fun to go. It's very similar (for me) to going a scaled down version of the Fishing Show, just the prices aren't as good.

I understand why everyone is p-o'd at Bass Pros. I really do think they are gouging, but will continue to do so. In order for them to justify being in another country with just one store the overhead has to be considerably higher and so the prices will follow. If you think about the extra costs involved in transportation including a lovely border crossing and the paperwork,duties, etc. that entails(remember everything they sell isn't from just the US and Canada), a completely different tax system,legal system etc.. Add to that the fact that if the owner has a bunch of stock that he bought previously at say 15 or 20% on the dollar he'll want to sell that first at a higher price to somewhat compensate. That should change over the next few months as the new stock will be coming in at almost par. Now if they expand more into Canada,those costs should be lessened or at least divided amond two or three stores and you'll see prices come down somewhat. All this doesn't make it right or mean that anyone has to buy from them instead of a local shop or LB's. There is a differnce however when going to BPS as far as the entertainment value. The fish inthe tanks,looking at the boats etc. You can spend an afternoon in there. It's great when you go with a buddy or bring the family and they can keep amused in there or in the huge mall that's right there. Think of BPS as going to a restaurant. You don't always get your groceries there and it's definetely more money, but once in a while it's fun to go. It's very similar (for me) to going a scaled down version of the Fishing Show, just the prices aren't as good.

Well said Kennyman :clapping:

I've always had good service at BBPS... I only go when Roger is working!

HH

Me too Joe :thumbsup_anim:

Ditto TG

40 minutes on the highway plus 407 tolls...how much does that cost???

I find people have selective vision and hearing when it comes to prices...BPS could probably post 'free fishing rod on Mondays' on its website, in an ancient Greek language, using the smallest microfont technically available and people would be lined up and down the street to pickup their free rod, because 'they saw it on the web site' (and enlarged it and translated it)

THE CONSUMER

Exactly !!!!. I'm looking for specific item for ice fishing. At BPS is $99.00 at LB is 119.00 and at my local "friendly and customer oriented ( I like to supprt the local guy ;) " store, is $ 159.00. . My support for local store ends when I "sense" a ripp-off. Is it worth for me to drive to BPS from Oshawa ( considering time and fuel) to save 50 -60 $ ????, not really. But if I put few purchases together I can save enough to make the trip worthwhile. Another twist to the story is the fact that I was in my local "friendly and customer oriented" store about 1 hr ago. In last few years I've spent quite few $$$$ there, but I won't do it again ( they do not know me anymore) :dunno: . Bottom line is: I won't pay for something I need ( or want ) 50+ % more just to feel "good " ( supporting local bussiness)