The Best Hand Ice Auger????

Burtess

Best 6" hand auger????  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best 6" hand ice auger?

• Jiffy Jet
    • Jiffy Mora
    • Strike Master Lazer
    • Eskimo Quantum
    • Eskimo Barracuda
    • Normark Fin-Bore III
    • Normark Swede Bore
    • Nils Master High Velocity

There are always people asking for advise on buying a hand ice auger, what brand, model, etc...

I think I've got most brands and models represented... if I missed one let me know, maybe I can add it later? :)

Burt

I have had the Fin Bore, the Swede Bore and the Strikemaster Lazer. Out of those 3 I would recommend the Strikemaster as my first choice with the Fin Bore a close 2nd. The Swede Bore I would never recommend. It was my first auger when I was an ice fishing newbie. They are not even close to being in the same class as the other 2.

The best ice auger is the one that you have with you when you're on the lake. Any one will do the job if it is looked after and maintained. I've always brought a few shims with me to adjust the cutting angle of the blade. That has saved the day so many times, I couldn't count them all. Not all ice is created equal. Be prepared to fine tune your equipment.

I use a swedebore.....only because that's what I have, and that's what I'm used to. I can drill a hole with it just as fast as the next guy with a finbore or strikemaster. I just can't seem to get the hang of the offset handles on the finbore. I change my blades every season, as soon as there is a foot of ice. Then by the time the season is over, the blades are getting a bit dull, but just fine for early ice.....until there's a foot again....then I replace them.

OK...I admit it....if there's a foot of ice....I bring the jiffy :)

Sinker

Finbore III all the way...used the Mora and Swede bore and they require a substantial amount of effort compared to the Finbore. You really don't need to apply much downward pressure with the Finbore as it just slices and eats up ice chips. I have the 8" and it is fairly easy in ice up to about 12"-14", anything thicker than that and a gas auger becomes more practical. If you do go with the Finbore remember to activate both your hands when cutting...the offset handle is designed to make use of both your hands.

If you primarily fish for perch and panfish, get the 4" model...it is the fastest auger i've seen.

I have owned a few and the Strike Master gets my vote.My 7" Strike Master would cut ice like it was jello.I liked it so much that when it came time to buy a gas auger I went with a Strike Master.I have used Jiffys in the past but in my opinion the Strike master wins hands down.

Just my 2 cents

I've owned a Jiffy, Swede bore and the Finn Bore. Also used a Mora.

The Swede bore, Mora, etc. will get the job done if they are in good shape but have shorter lives. The Finn Bore and others are in a league all their own. Any auger that requires much downward pressure to cut just wears both you and the auger out. The upward pressure of the ice on the blades will slowly warp the steel until your cutting angle gets worse and worse. It's less noticeable with soft ice (late season) but can kill an auger in no time.

I ice fish a lot. Love to backpack and check out new lakes. Never used a gas auger but I will burn 25+ holes in a day through northern Ontario March ice trying to find fish or just get a "feel" for a lake. The Finn Bore is all I use.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a finn bore now but have owned a swede and a Jiffy. tried a Nils last year

They all cut fine when the blades are sharp and as mentioned before shimmed right. The different handles get me - never liked my Jiffy handles. Most comfortable for cutting the thick ice was the nils but they were not around when I bought my last one.

The Jiffy does cut a mean fence post hole. That's why I had to buy a new one.

• 1 month later...

I've used a lot of different hand ice augers, by far the best one I've used was the Nils Master. You don't need any downward pressure like all the other ones. The strikemaster wasn't bad, I thought it was better than the fin bore III but not by much. The swede bore will do the job, but after cutting 15+ holes you'll be too tired to fish...:)