BACKWOOD TROUT'IN

rhare

My buddy Dan and I headed a couple hours north to try our luck at some splake and Brookies. The day was great, not too cold and no wind perfect to leave the hut behind and get a little adventurous. The best part about these backwood lakes is that you rarely ever see anyone else fishing them or even signs that anyone has.

the lake

100_0894.jpg

Although there is lots of ice on the lakes the edges are very soft, whats his name and creek areas had water visable, this creek mouth looked good

100_0896.jpg

we picked up a new pack auger from finn bore, man this thing is a beast. we like to run and gun with jigs and this sucker had no problem pounding hole after hole with no effort

100_0898.jpg

best $100 I spent and the silent approch works well in the shallow water

100_0901.jpg

After a good walk boaring some holes we were fishing. It wasnt long untill Dan gets slammed. a couple runs and pop the knot breaks. Had to rub this one in the guy never breaks knots and knows more of them then I'll ever know. Guess he didnt check this one :)

100_0902.jpg

Not long after I was working my jig in about 12fow and slam hes off right away, I watch the finder and he comes back and smashes it again.

great fighters on 4lb and UL rods!

100_0906.jpg

About 15 min or so goes by when my rod gets hammered, almost pulled it down the hole! thank god for the loose drag.

a really nice coloured splake

100_0909.jpg

they all went about 16-19" between 1-2lbs

100_0908.jpg

We decided to go try a few different points we had noticed on the way in. We drilled around and found a nice little hump that went from 5fow to 11fow. Dan put on his go to jig and went for the shallow hole. Before I could even get my rod down, bam hes got one.

100_0911.jpg

I moved around and had a couple follow the jig around but no takers, about 10 min later Dan gets crushed again. Another nice splake, man they fight hard!

100_0914.jpg

Even though they dont spawn, back they go to catch again another day!

100_0915.jpg

Now feeling adventurous and high on fishing we decided to thrash through the bushes to a small speckie lake about 1.5 miles past the end of the splake lake.

The snow was DEEP right up to the goodies but we perservered.

100_0925.jpg

The float suits are not ideal for hiking through bushes but being we didnt know how froze the lake was what can ya do

some beaver holes

100_0923.jpg

Dan how about you go first...

100_0924.jpg

we finaly made it through the bushes, trying not to get sweaty made it a slow trip. The last thing we wanted was to get cold that far from the road.

lake shot...

100_0947.jpg

We got all the goodies set up, but didnt have too much time to fish. tried a few spots but being it was a new lake we fished blind.

100_0945.jpg

About a half hour into fishing I get a couple small bumps, set missed him! Bang hes back. my reel tangled so I had to hand line him what a nice fish!

beautiful female, she was fat spitting out all sorts of little stuff she's been eating.makes the hike all worth while :)

100_0934.jpg

all and all a real good time, but I'll sleep like a puppy

and next time no float suits and snowshoes for godsake.

Ryan

Awesome stuff.....that's what ice fishing is supposed to be like!!

I had plans to do the same thing in the morning, but its not looking good with this rain pissing down the way it is here.

How was the ice?

Sinker

I hope the rain doesnt last too long, the ice was in great shape and there was plenty 6-10"