Weather question? NF

Headhunter

As we are somewhat between seasons, I thought I'd ask this question during a relatively quiet time on the board.

I have noticed over the years that when a storm is approaching Toronto, Environment Canada will issue a "weather warning" to Peel region, Durham region and York region. In most cases, Toronto proper does not get the warning, nor does it get the nasty weather that those regions receive. Don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming the good folks at Environment Canada here, I just don't understand how a storm/system can completely miss Toronto, yet slam all of the areas west, east and north of the city.

So, my question for the weather types... what influences the weather that directly hits Toronto, that doesn't affect the surrounding area? Markham can be getting kicked in the teeth, yet Toronto doesn't. Is it the Lake that does this?

Thanks for your responses!

HH

Two things probably account for it.

One you already mentioned the lake.... all along any of the great lakes it is quite normal for the snow to start about 8 to 10 miles inland especially early in the winter before the lakes form ice a few miles deep along their coast.... Been a long time since one of the Great Lakes has formed ice completely across. I wonder what that does, when it happens.

Two the pollution and warmer air over the city might have some effect. It might raise the temp of the clouds enough so that snow can't fall until they get further inland.

Edited by Canuck2fan

toronto is the center of the universe. everything goes around us.

Good one, Raf. Toronto get's protected really well from lake effect snow,unlike Buffalo or Barrie,the perdominant NW winds over 20-30 km/h get the squalls going. We in Toronto didn't avoid that last Colorado low.

Edited by iceguy

Well I am looking at about a foot of it here in the West end of the city ... so while I am sure others got it worse, we didnt get 'missed' and for the 24 hrs beforehand I saw the weather warnings on the TV ... I am sure the lake effect is a major influence as is the Niagara escarpment on the west side of the city ....quite a major difference in climate above and below it

Edited by camillj

Guest skeeter99

it is a phonomena called HEAT ISLAND EFFECT

warmer are in city rises creating a bubble and weather comes in and deflects off of it goes several miles up

the weather network did a peice on this a while back on tv, most large cities experience this

here is a link

http://www.physorg.com/news73138019.html

Edited by skeeter99

Being a weather guy, without getting into technical details, Toronto's weather or lack thereof, is generally determined by lake effect weather and prevailing winds.

Pollution and warmer air around the city is not a viable factor :) .

I think I will side with SP here... he is in the business after all...

it is a phonomena called HEAT ISLAND EFFECT

warmer are in city rises creating a bubble and weather comes in and deflects off of it goes several miles up

the weather network did a peice on this a while back on tv, most large cities experience this

here is a link

http://www.physorg.com/news73138019.html

Shepherds study was based on cities located in an arid environment.

Needless to say southern Ontario is not an arid environment :D .

Regardless, I doubt local forecasters in Phoenix are factoring in

"heat island effect" when they make their predictions.

His study is based on more long term analysis.

You will often notice that storms dissipate in summer right before hitting Niagara as well. This is because of the lakes. If the lakes are cooler than the summer storm, they can reduce the energy in a storm like when a hurricane hits colder water.

Thunderstorms especially need heat to develop.