Night Fishing Report - Surprise Catch

ccmtcanada

Well, after getting thoroughly spanked at Quinte this past weekend, Bly and I went out tonight trying to catch some fish. With the little rain we got last night we wondered if some Steelies would be hanging around the creek mouths.

We headed out at around 8pm and set up for some bottom fishing with roe. We saw a few people there last week having some luck fishing that way so we thought we'd give it a try. After an hour of no action whatsoever, I decided to warm up a little and began to throw a crank bait. I wasn't paying attention and was talking to Bly when I feel a pretty big hit. I set the hook late thinking there is no way the fish was still there and I heard the drag engage.

This fish kept splashing at the surface, but it felt all wrong to be a trout....plus I've never had a hit on a crank before for trout. Anyhow, as it got closer, I realize that I've caught a pretty good sized pike!! Bly expertly nets the fish and it turned out it beat my old personal best for pike by about a pound. This one measured in at 36.5 inches and weighed 11 pounds 1 ounce. Here's the pic....

36halfinches11lbs.jpg

Watch out Cliff's nightly reports are back - PB pike today, PB steelhead tomorrow and a surprise fish the next day..... I can't wait for the next installment. :thumbsup_anim::worthy::w00t:

Congrats on the PB - she's a beauty!