Quinte G2G - Weekend Report

ccmtcanada

You may have read some of the negative things about Merland Park, but Bly and I were thankfully sheltered from it all since we didn't have a boat to launch and we ended up bunking in with Greencoachdog, douG and Lexington and didn't have to deal with the office.

Simply put, these G2Gs in my opinion are more about the group of people....and as all those who had a bad experience already mentioned, this is what made the trip worthwhile.

Friday

Bly and I were on the road by early afternoon, and our first destination was Carra Outdoor Sports....DTSam's place in Belleville. We arrived there around 2pm with a shopping list in mind already...like we haven't spent enough money yet....LOL.

quinte01.jpg

We found Sam on the phone when we arrived and as soon as he saw us, he was off the phone and shaking our hands. After brief introductions, we handed over Bly's 15lb Walleye from last year so that he could display it in his store once they worked their magic on it. You may remember that I made a few posts before the trip about needing a float suit/jacket, and Sam had read those posts as well. He told me to follow him into the back room...so I thought I was going to see some cool taxidermy work they have been working on. When I get there, he's holding a Mustang Float Jacket and he tells me to try it on. He said if it fits, then I'd find no one that could beat his price. I put the jacket on and it fits great! I asked him how much he wanted for it and he says that it's free...just to take it and enjoy. WOW...I was floored. This was his own personal float jacket that he doesn't really use anymore since he got a new one piece suit. What a guy...I was totally amazed at his generosity. After that, bly and I bought around 80 bucks worth of tackle from his shop....LOL. Here's a pic of Sam and I....I've got on the float jacket....

quinte02.jpg

After that, we headed to Merland Park and arrived just after 3pm. The first person we saw was Greencoachdog...him smiling ear to ear with a drink in his hand. He showed us to our room and we settled in. Doug was quick to join in as well and we had a great time catching up with some of our OFC friends that we've met over the past year. GCD then treated us with a delicious meal...some red snapper and grouper that he brought up from Alabama. Wow...this meal was amazing...thanks GCD!

After more of the boats came in from the afternoon/early evening fish, I finally got a chance to meet Mike the Pike and a few others I've been looking forward to meeting. I was boatless for Saturday morning, but after chatting around the fire, it didn't take long before I had a great offer from Ted & the Gadget to join him in his boat for Saturday.

A few of us (Bly, Mike the Pike, Lexxington and GlenK) decided to hit some docks for some night time shore fishing. It was getting a bit colder and we had to take ice off our lines and eyes after every few casts. Bly had a nice one on, but unfortunately lost it right at the dock. She was the only one to hook into anything that night.

Saturday

I was up and ready to hit the water at about 7am on Saturday morning. Bitsmith2k came to our room and said that Ted was just about ready to launch, so I got all dressed up and headed down to the docks. Turns out the three of us would share a boat. We trolled and trolled all morning long with only 1 fish that was on. Bitsmith brought it all the way to the boat when the unthinkable happened...it got off the hook! We were marking bait and big walleye all over the place, but couldn't entice another one to bite all morning long. We headed in at around 1pm...with no fish, but I had some great company and had a good time. Thanks a lot Ted for the invite to fish on your boat...and it was great getting to know the both of you.

Shortly after getting in, I see Mike the Pike and I ask if I could join him in his afternoon fish and he says I'm more than welcome, so just after 2pm, I headed out with Mike and GlenK.

quinte07.jpg

We had a great time out there telling fishing stories, and even though the fishing was slow, we had a ton of laughs out there. The boat did land one fish....a personal best for GlenK, but I'll let him tell the story!!!! Congrats Glen...and thanks Mike!

That evening was the pot luck dinner and oh man...there was TONS of GREAT food! I chowed down on douG's spicy chilli, Mike's meatballs and whatever else I could get my hands on. I have to tell you, the dinner was a huge hit!! Mike...thanks for organizing that great dinner...you did an awesome job with that. Here's a pic of the scene inside that cabin....

quinte04.jpg

After we all ate, Joey came in and had an announcement to make. She said that Dave Mercer really wanted to join us in Quinte, but he just couldn't make it. He sent up some Fact of Fishing T-shirts for EVERY OFNer that was there...here's a pic we took outside of a bunch of us wearing those shirts....Thanks Dave!

quinte03.jpg

After that, Lexxington, bly and I decided to try our luck down at the docks again...with no luck tonight. The icing of our rod tips and lines was even worse than the night before, but we gave it the old college try! I got back and was pretty wiped out from fishing pretty much all day long...so I went to bed early, while Bly went and socialized a bit.

Sunday

Well, today was the day for me to fish with Gerritt...so I was up and ready and sitting down by the docks by 6am. Gerritt showed up shortly after and after getting the boat all ready, we were on the water trolling in some pretty stiff winds and some pretty good sized waves. Here's a pic of Gerritt trying to control the boat, which was NOT easy....the winds and waves kept pushing the boat sideways and it was impossible to keep a straight line. There was a nice sunrise though....

quinte09.jpg

The waves took a toll on Gerritt's back....he was in a tremendous amount of pain. He stuck it out as long as he possibly could...even trying to control the boat while standing up. We decided that we should head in before he did anymore damage to his back. We got to the dock and he headed straight for his cabin, where his pain meds were so he could take a load off his back and relax for a bit. No worries Gerritt...we'll have plenty of other fishing opportunities! You dont want to mess around with back pain...hope you're feeling much better now buddy!

quinte08.jpg

quinte10.jpg

I headed up to our room and I met up with Bly and Slowpoke. They hadn't headed out yet, so Slowpoke graciously invited me on his boat. We headed out at the crack of 10am and found that the wind and waves had calmed down quite a bit so we were able to put out the planer boards to do some trolling. Again...the fishing was slow...no bites, so I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures.

quinte12.jpg

quinte13.jpg

After a few hours of nothing biting, we headed over to an area that was a lot shallower with some humps and shoals. We were hoping to find the big walleye in there, but once again, the fishing was tough. Slowpoke then decides we should downrig for some fish.....LOL.

quinte16.jpg

So, here we are in 9 feet of water, with the downriggers fully deployed. It wasn't long before it paid off.... Bly lands the first fish!!!

quinte14.jpg

I follow it up a few minutes later with this monster....

quinte15.jpg

Ok...so we weren't dowrigging...we actually decided to jig a little bit to see if we could entice a few walleye to bite, but all we got was it's close cousin instead.

We decided to take one last stab at trolling, so we set everything back up again and slowly started heading back towards Merlands. About half way back, we see this guy's ship going by us....

quinte17.jpg

His wake almost left us capsized....LOL. How did you do out there Irishfield? Hopefully better that us!!!!! Thanks a million Slowpoke....we have a great time out there with you...you kept us in stitches pretty much all afternoon!!! We'll get out and fish again next year!

Well, that was about it...we got back in and found that pretty much everyone else had already left for home.

I'd like to thank Percher/BITEME for bringing up a few extra float suits for bly and I to use. Those things rocked and kept us nice and dry and warm all weekend long. One suit had to go back (I think GlenK bought it), but BITEME told us to hold on to the other one in case we needed it over the winter and to just give it back to him next spring. What a guy! Thanks a lot for that! I'd also like to thank douG and GCD for inviting us to share in the accomodations...we couldn't have asked for better roommates for the weekend. Big thanks also goes out to Slowpoke, who gave Bly and I a set of inline planer boards.

All in all, we had a great time out there. Meeting up with fellow OFNers is an amazing experience. Putting faces to names and telling stories is what it's all about. Our thanks go to everyone who was there, as it was truly a community experience!

Since Bly and I didn't fish together for most of the weekend, she'll be posting her own report soon......

Edited by ccmtcanada

Been waiting all weekend for the reports to start trickling in and had a feeling Cliff might be first. Why was not suprised to hear that it was bly that had one on from shore - I'm gonna guess the red devil (or blue and white crank), do I win :)

Sounds like it was a great time even if the fishing wasn't the greatest. Love hearing about the good Karma - Sam and Mr. Mercer coming through big time.

A few of us (Bly, Mike the Pike, Lexxington and GlenK) decided to hit some docks for some night time shore fishing. It was getting a bit colder and we had to take ice off our lines and eyes after every few casts. Bly had a nice one on, but unfortunately lost it right at the dock. She was the only one to hook into anything that night.

I TAKE OFFECE to this, I had 2 almost record SHAD, athough they were out of season and released. Wish I got a picture for proof :D it must have been at least 4"

It was great bunking with you guys and fishing on the docks. You 2 are an amazing fishing team..

take care

I TAKE OFFECE to this, I had 2 almost record SHAD, athough they were out of season and released. Wish I got a picture for proof :D it must have been at least 4"

It was great bunking with you guys and fishing on the docks. You 2 are an amazing fishing team..

take care

If you want to get technical about it then yes..you caught 2 fish...LOL. I suppose that means I wasn't skunked that night either with my 1 shad caught.

It was fun spending some time with you as well...hopefully we'll meet up again at another G2G.

It was great to see you and Carole again Cliff!!!

All y'all were the perfect roommates! :thumbsup_anim:

I was hopin' to get out fishin' with y'all but that cold weather kicked my but with a "frozen boot!"

I think we both had about the same luck fishin'... but I think my Perch is bigger than yours! :w00t:

I heard that Caroles Wall-ice was knocked off the hook with a net on purpose by a jealous fisherman :asshat: that couldn't stand to be out-fished by a wimmins! :rolleyes:

I heard that Caroles Wall-ice was knocked off the hook with a net on purpose by a jealous fisherman :asshat: that couldn't stand to be out-fished by a wimmins! :rolleyes:

Thats why you call them Wall-Ice Glen :asshat: .This one had too much ice on it and kept slippin out the net.S h e e t Happens.

What an awesome report Cliff nice jacket.It was great to meet you and Bly can't wait to fish with you both again.Too bad the Dog found it too cold to teach me all about the Sabiki rigs

MTP

I didn't mention that part or names on purpose Glen...LOL.

Oh well, now that Mike has acknowledged it I guess I wont get many net jabs from him any time soon....LOL.

Edited by ccmtcanada