Tiger

musky66

Those tigers really are nice looking fish and congrats on getting her, their still quite a rarity in those waters, although as has already been said, their presence isn't a good sign.

Thanks for posting the picture.

Beauty fish!

I'm sure people are asking why they are a bad thing...here is why:

Tiger Musky apparently have evolved to avoid head-on competition with northern pike. If northern pike find their way into muskie water, they seem to proliferate at the expense of muskies.

Why does the northern pike compete better?

The earlier-hatching northern pike prey on newly hatched muskie if the two species use the same spawning areas. Pike fry are present about 2 weeks earlier than Musky fry...

I'm sure people are asking why they are a bad thing...here is why:

Tiger Musky apparently have evolved to avoid head-on competition with northern pike.

actually, a tiger is what happens when a pike and a musky "get it on". It is a bad sign, because it means there are pike in the Kawartha lakes (at least some of them)

I dont see why any of these explantions make it a bad thing... maybe that cus I mostly fish muskie and pike.

I'm certian I have read that the musky evolve and spawn in deeper water, thus avoiding having their babies eaten by the already hatched pike...

ps. awesome fish!

Edited by mepps

I dont see why any of these explantions make it a bad thing... maybe that cus I mostly fish muskie and pike.

I'm certian I have read that the musky evolve and spawn in deeper water, thus avoiding having their babies eaten by the already hatched pike...

ps. awesome fish!

Or, the muskies may just disappear altogether. That is why people consider the presence of pike in a musky lake to be a bad thing. The deep spawning muskies that co-exist are a different strain than the Kawartha muskies. It is possible that the muskie may adapt to pike by spawning in deeper water. However, many of the Kawartha lakes may not have suitable deep water spawning habitat for this to occur.

This also happend on Canal lake which use to have a musky fishery now there are hardly any muskies left in that lake. Balsam is a lot more deeper than Canal lake so maybe the musky might adapt. Things dont look good though for the muskies in Balsam with the pike moving in.

Mepps the tigers are pretty fish , but the problem is The tiger muskie is a STERILE hybrid cross between the muskellunge and the northern pike. They cant reproduce, they grow faster than muskies so in places where its a put grow and take fishery they are stocked as you get big fish faster.