NF Lindros Retires

holdfast

Heard this morning that Lindros is Retiring. The Radio announcer stated that Bob Clarke of all people said that he should be in the Hall of Fame. I know he's been an impact player and has had what? eight concussions. I enjoyed watching him play in his early days especially the World Juniors and wished that he would of played for MTL. But a Hall of famer? whats your take?

Heard this morning that Lindros is Retiring. The Radio announcer stated that Bob Clarke of all people said that he should be in the Hall of Fame. I know he's been an impact player and has had what? eight concussions. I enjoyed watching him play in his early days especially the World Juniors and wished that he would of played for MTL. But a Hall of famer? whats your take?

Definitely. I never liked him. Thought he was a whiney jerk, but he may be the greatest all round player to play the game yet ... big, strong, fast, smart, and great hands, but what sets him apart was toughness. He probably wouldn't have had those concussions if he hadn't stuck his nose (and body) into a lot of spots other superstars fear to tread, or had had a cadre of bodyguards and a set of unwritten rules to protect him. They were talking about him the other night on the game and I guess they were pretty persuasive. I'm sold anyway.

JF

It is the hockey hall of fame, not the NHL.

2 gold medals at the world juniors.

Canada cup champion

Memorial cup champion

Olympic silver medal (and later a gold medal)

Then he turned 19

In the NHL he was a dominate hockey player for many years, many players in the hall can not have that said about them. Yes, his career was not what it could have been because of injuries, but the same can be said of Orr and Lamieux, two great players that clearly deserve to be in the hall, but the fact is that injuries, and cancer in Lamieux's case, impacted on their ability to perform at their best for parts of their careers.

Many of the arguments as to why he shouldn't be in are in regards to things off the ice, and I don't feel that should have much (if any) baring on his inclusion to the hall.

He had an "issue" with the owner of the Nordics not the french people. That same owner then sold Lindros to two teams, he was awarded to the Flyers not the Rangers in court. Abeu (the owner of the Nordics) then shipped his team to Colorado.

Here are some of the other members of the hall: Federco, Gillies, Mullen, Goulet, MacDonald and Neely.

Edited by kickingfrog

Many of you say no, I say yes he has done way more them most.

Named to NHL All-Rookie Team - 1993

Hart Memorial Trophy - 1995

Lester B. Pearson Award - 1995

Bobby Clarke Trophy - 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999

Played in 6 All-Star Games - 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000

Won Olympic Silver Medal with Team Canada in 1992 Winter Olympic Games

Won Olympic Gold Medal with Team Canada in 2002 Winter Olympic Games

That there is enough if you ask me.

Paul

He had greatness, no doubt. But from my point of view never showed enough of it in any kind of a sustained manner....which to me is the #1 measure of a Hall of Famer. I would vote no. Plus he was one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen with his stick, which I think is the reason he got his bell rung so often. Seems NHL'ers wouldn't let him spear them in the groin or the calves like he got away with here in Oshawa playing against small boys in junior hockey.

He averaged over a point a game.

Won awards, as mentoined above.

Compare his accomplishments to a guy like Cam Neely - who is in the HOF - pretty tough not to put Lindros in. I don't think he will get it in 3 years when he is first eligible, but he will get in eventually.

Granted, Neely won Stanley Cups (I think), but last I checked that is not a prerequisite. Nor is the amount of injury time....

I vote yes.

Edited by Dutch

I think that it was his parents that ruined his career. They were his agents. Nope. Not signing with the Nordiques. We'll sit out and see what happens. Philly grabs him and he shows his talent. Mom and Pop jump in again and next thing we know is that Bobby Clarke can't get rid of him soon enough, despite his talent. Sad story really. The guy had size and incredible talent. But I think that Mom and Pop pushed too many buttons. Sure, his history of concussions didn't help. But throughout his career, he was in no mans land. His parents (agents) demanded too much for their prize possession. Their winning lottery ticket got lost in the washing machine. Eric was awesome. But poor managing and some bad luck cost him his career. Hall of fame? No, in my opinion.

He wont get in anytime soon.

There are a ton of better players that will be going in before dirty old double digit.

He is a dirty player, cry baby to boot.

Name 'em.

That's right, it's the paddy cake hall of fame and doesn't have any "dirty" players in it.

I know, players like Messier and Clarke weren't dirty, they just played with passion and heart.