Where would you live if you could live anywhere

grt1

Currently we live in NW Ontario, just south of Red Lake. The wife wants to move to the city. Since we are both from southern Ontario (30 years ago) we know the area generally, but since changes occur over time, we know the area would probably not be recgnizable to us.

We are considering Winnipeg since it is close and has the shopping and entertainment the wife wants but it has become so violent in the past couple years and the car thefts are skyrocketing, i'm becoming leary of moving there even though it's close to great fishing.

Where would the members of this board live if they could live anywhere. bearing in mind shopping facilities and entertainment and fishing availability?

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill

If I could find a good paying job in my field in the Kawarthas I'd be all over that. Sure, the lakes can get busy in the summertime, but Peterborough is a pretty big town. Oshawa is a short distance and you can get to Toronto in just a few hours. Good luck!

There's a nice little strip mall on the North/West shoreline of St. Lucia ! :D

Fishing is good..."entertainment" is not bad to watch during the winter months.

..and Yes what Cliff said, Peterborough is still a pretty quiet, nice clean city. Tripled in size since I was born there..but still a nice place.

Edited by irishfield

The wife and I have said that if we ever leave Quebec we would move to Kingston or Brockville Ontario.Much smaller populations than Montreal and Toronto.Yes after all those years the hussle and bussle of the big city is getting to me.Not far from the Bay of Quinte and the 1000 islands.

One Day :Gonefishing:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fish/best_towns4.shtml

If I could live anywhere I wouldn't mind up around... hmmm... Red Lake.

Two other besides the Ontario one's at the link would be,

North Bay area but towards Mattawa or Martin River, or Ottawa area but either towards Renfrew or Perth.

January 2009 and I'll be starting to look to plan my move too. :(

I'll make it easy on you grt1, we'll just swap houses :thumbsup_anim:

You want the city & I want the country and I couldn't care less about the shopping or the entertainment, but fishing the Kenora region would suit me just fine ;)

Course if you move here to Toronto you'll need to purchase a bullet proof vest......

We all suffer the grass is greener syndrome. I think that you need to analyse why you are seeking to move and what it will accomplish. Pro's on one side of the sheet of paper and cons on the other side. Then you need to look at each entry and discuss each in detail. What you will find is that the list that you have made will dwindle down to a few "real" reasons.

If you then feel as strongly about relocation then you can look at it much clearer with actual goals in mind.

Cities do tend to have more crime Bill. It's the price most of us pay for "shopping and entertainment".

John....

Dunnville ont.is a excellent choice of small town country,with excellent bass,, walleye etc on your door step.where ft erie,hamilton etc 20 min away..just a thought..3200 sq ft ranch style hom here on 2.5 acres for sale also..lol j/k reminds me a back home

top of my head Kenora -Tbay-Dryden-Temmagami

Thought it said city....LOL.

All kidding aside, I'm from Toronto, so anything smaller just seems small townish to me.

And yes...the grass is always greener....

Edited by ccmtcanada

I live in London Ontario, transferred here from Toronto. When I first moved here I didn't know anybody and fishing seemed so far away so I sold my boat. Having been here for 12 years I've come to appreciate London much more for its ammenities and have found it to be a nice place to live.

The downside, it's an hour and a half in any direction to find great fishing.

The upside, it's an hour and a half in any direction to find great fishing.

I was spoiled having Lake Ontario salmon in my backyard when I lived in Oakville but living in London has opened the door to so many fishing opportunities

An hour and a half gets you to...

Lake Erie from many ports to follow the bows and eyes as the season progresses.

Early season salmon on Lake Ontario's south shore and later around to the north shore.

The Blue Water region in Sarnia, southern Lake Huron and St. Clair River.

Lake St. Clair for perch, muskie and bass.

Long Point Bay for perch, pike and bass.

Lots of river systems for shore angling... the Maitland, Grand, Thames etc.

Great tackle shop in town - Lambeth Rod and Tackle. Don't tell Steve I sent you, he'll make fun of you.

Hully Gully - "The ultimate Toy Store"- boats, sleds and bikes.

Heritage Marine - Boat repairs and storage.

London has terrific health care facilities. All the typical urban shopping attractions. A popular concert stopover for many big acts coming to the John Labatt Centre. OHL Hockey and NHL Exhibition games. Proximity to four international airports within 2 hours in Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo and our own London International Airport.

Very reasonable property values (same as paying rent on comparable listings)

Reasonable property taxes.

Lots of professional, industreal, retail and service oriented opportunities.

Western University, Fanshaw Collage

It has a small town feel with all the big city ammenities.

-Brian

lol you get used to the rain......and i agree housing costs are ridiculous.......If i were to stay here for good, and I'm not....I would never be able to afford a house.

You get used to the rain??? You need dang windshild wipers for your camara lens!

For me...

If I could just get a decent Paying job in my feild round there....

I'd love a small place in Wiarton

Sleepy little town, Colpoys Bay and the Surrouding areas are beautiful.

Fishing/hunting opportunites with in a half hour in any directions are almost limitless....ammenities of the city can be found 20 minutes away in Owen Sound.

They have "real" winters with snow and ice, hot summers, and soft sand beaches 30 minutes down the road at Sauble.

And its only 2.5 hours from my family in Kitchener

Like I said...just need to find a Job in my feild