Lure wash on Georgian Bay

irishfield

Got out with Glen on the bay early this morning. Glen had a "fun" drive in the fog, all the way from Alliston...also found Hwy 93 closed at Waverly and had to do some detouring on strange roads...but he still got here within 5 minutes of blast off time.

Little dark and gloomy/foggy this morning..but it soon lifted into a beautiful sunny day...with water near glass in most places.

gb1a.jpg

We tried local for a while to no avail and headed for my "big gal" way point. Just as I have it lined up on the screen, and we're ready to troll over it, the OPP/CO boat comes roaring up behind us and tells us to get our lines out of the water. OPP - everything... Vessel Licence (photocopy in ziplock perfectly fine once again), paddles/anchor, bail bucket, whistle, throw rope, FLARES...show him my gun and three bullets and he says do you have three more. I say I'm not a mile from shore. HIS interpretation is if you are on a body of water that you are CAPABLE of being a mile from shore you need 6 flares in a boat over 6 meters (kinda dumb..the smaller boats should have them first!)...so I guess I'd better get three more before BOQ. Told him I'd buy three more tonight and he didn't care after that. CO - Bruce Ward..same CO that read me the riot act last year for fishin muskie with a conservation licence. He must practice the speach in front of a mirror...as this year he gave Glen the EXACT..to the word... speech. "God syndrome" at it's finest!

After that we casted the spot a bit, without success and then I decided to run to an old haunt I hadn't been into in about 12 or 15 years. Jersey dog..you cottage is fine! LOL....

Anyhow...we trolled this area and on our way in Glen spied a pike swimmin and a fishing rod on bottom. We trolled the inlet all the way to the end

gb2a.jpg

and then we tried to find the rod on the way back out

gb3a.jpg

...of course the light changed..took us maybe 15 minutes, but we found our only catch of the day and I snagged it with the trailer on one of my tubes (another reason to file your hooks razor sharp!). Nice Mitchell Combo unit that's not been down there too long

gb4a.jpg

Trolled by the Delawana

gb5a.jpg

..and a LOT of other places. Suspect we covered at least 65 miles of water today between running and trolling.

gb7a.jpg

Washed darn near everything in the box, bucket, and Glen's stuff as well.

gb6a.jpg

Worked our way home with nothing to show for our efforts but a Mitchell Combo and sunburns...and that's just fine with us both. What a BEAUTIFUL day in NOVEMBER to be on the water. Saw so many people up enjoying their cottages...sitting out on their shoreline suntaning etc...just unreal. We found some good structure...marked it in our memory banks and will hit it again another day.

And we made a FULL day out of it...fish or no fish.

gb8a.jpg

gb9a.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Was hoping for Muskie burgers for supper Brian...Leah is gone for the weekend and me and the son are getting pretty hungry around here!

2 tone.... we've posted that here MANY times. It's a $300 fine if you don't have your vessel licence with you. It's the first thing they ask for as it's a higher fine than lifejackets! OPP and CO are out until Ice up. They seem to find us at least once or twice every year and it doesn't matter what day of the week. This guy, Ward, is stationed right at the OPP station in Midland...he's not out of Minnissing office and they have a shared boat..actually two..that have OPP on the bow and Conservation Officer along the freeboard of both boats.

Well it was a great day to be in the boat wayne!!!!!!!!! :w00t: too bad you guy s didnt hook up with a bruiser....but hey its always nice to get out fishin for the day !!!!! B) i sure would have liked to but i need a few more days then the boss says i can go to the bay of quinte. :whistling::clapping: ...nice bonus rod & reel combo,from the deep.....great pics & scenery shots, thanks for sharing cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Well Wayne I know the feeling skunked as well today.I did notice you were casting them big Lindy tubes.I guess I will try mine in the spring.

I have a question for ya .If most of us old folks have until 2009 to obtain our boat Licence why can the OPP ticket you if you don't have it.I have mine because of my 12ft tinny.There are many driving around in cruisers without their licence yet so why are they hasselling you.If you read the laws about licenses in the Canadian Coast Guard safety hand book it states anyone born after 1983 (Yes Greencoachdog)must be licensed to operate any size vessel.Or anyone operating a craft under 4 metres.So old farts like us have until 2009 to get licensed.So whats the scoop once you have a license they can fine yer ass.

Mike

Well Wayne I know the feeling skunked as well today.I did notice you were casting them big Lindy tubes.I guess I will try mine in the spring.

I have a question for ya .If most of us old folks have until 2009 to obtain our boat Licence why can the OPP ticket you if you don't have it.I have mine because of my 12ft tinny.There are many driving around in cruisers without their licence yet so why are they hasselling you.If you read the laws about licenses in the Canadian Coast Guard safety hand book it states anyone born after 1983 (Yes Greencoachdog)must be licensed to operate any size vessel.Or anyone operating a craft under 4 metres.So old farts like us have until 2009 to get licensed.So whats the scoop once you have a license they can fine yer ass.

Mike

I think Wayne is referring to the boat license, not the operators card.

Mike,,,the registration #'s on the side of your boat. You (should) have a vessel licence to go along with them that states you are the owner of said boat with said registration on it. Considering it comes from Services Canada now..out of NB...it applies to you Kbekers as well !

Mike,,,the registration #'s on the side of your boat. You (should) have a vessel licence to go along with them that states you are the owner of said boat with said registration on it. Considering it comes from Services Canada now..out of NB...it applies to you Kbekers as well !

I have it Wayne just didn't know they were so harsh about dishing out fines for it.

Well make sure you have it on BOQ. That OPP boat went boat to boat last year on the reach (screwed Doug and Emils lines up better than you can do!) and it seems every OPP this year has been looking for..first and foremost the Vessel Licence, as they've realized they can raise the most capital on that one alone. I've been stopped 5 times this year and it's been the VERY FIRST thing asked for, and sometimes the only thing asked for, every time.

Great fishing report Wayne, even without the fish !! Beautiful scenery shots too :thumbsup_anim:

Keep working on that big girl on the hump, your day is coming bud !!

FLARES...show him my gun and three bullets and he says do you have three more. I say I'm not a mile from shore. HIS interpretation is if you are on a body of water that you are CAPABLE of being a mile from shore you need 6 flares in a boat over 6 meters (kinda dumb..the smaller boats should have them first

Your right about some of the rules though Wayne, some of them are good, but others don't always seem to make alot of sense sometimes.

Same thing as requiring a flashlight in your boat at noon when you NEVER fish at night.

And requiring a fire extinguisher in a boat with a built-in gas tank, but not for a boat with a portable gas tank. Guess the rulemakers figure 5 gallons of flaming gas in your boat isn't a problem :w00t:

And you can drive a 40' cabin cruiser WITHOUT a license, but you NEED a license when you hop in the 8' dingy with a 5 hp to go to shore :dunno:

Strange stuff.....very strange indeed.....

Looks like you had beauty weather for your outing.. as you said, Fish is a bonus.. glad to see you got out...

Also, thank you for this thread.. We had no idea we had to carry the ownership for the boat, IN THE BOAT... We'd carry it in the truck because of pulling the boat, but not in the boat itself....thank god we haven't been stopped on the water...We'll be sure to put a copy in the boat now...

Thank you for sharing....