Will we see big numbers of fish?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How good will simcoe be?

• Large fish but few.
    • Large fish and lots.
    • Few small fish.
    • Lots small of fish.
    • Will never catch one.

I'm sure Ron fully understood the jist of my message Dax! , and no matter how tired you are of someone flogging you...as President of an organization you've got to step over the past Bull and carry on for the success of an organisation, especially in a public forum. Not join your fledglings....some with hidden agendas that have nothing to do with helping the fishery.......in beating the dead horse.

I have nothing against Chris and I'm sure he's doing a great job...Ron just put the facts out much clearer and in a much better format. As you say there are good and bad reasons to be members when it comes to any organization and like you say I'm sure everyone is happy with Chris at the helm. Some because he's doing a great job and others because they simply don't want the job ...for 100% support from the members. I know how that works VERY well, as I was the President of the Rec Aircraft Association for 12 years, director for 14 and according to the members I was always doing a great job...and I'll admit I probably wasn't doing as much as could have been doing to protect our flying rights in Canada. I just got tired that nobody else was pulling their weight and/or wanted the job I had and stepped aside. If you think dealing with the OMNR is fun...try the federal level with Transport Canada.

Ron in your report on what has been done so far in the project there is no mention of any rehab work that has been done and this is my problem with the whole project. Its putting the cart before the horse. Successful restoration of the musky fishery is dependant on having usable clean spawning areas. Nothing is being done to insure this, in fact with development rampaging through the watershed Its going to become harder and harder to accomplish. Its a feel good project that is high profile but it is a waste of MCI and government resources.

Ron in your report on what has been done so far in the project there is no mention of any rehab work that has been done and this is my problem with the whole project. Its putting the cart before the horse. Successful restoration of the musky fishery is dependant on having usable clean spawning areas. Nothing is being done to insure this, in fact with development rampaging through the watershed Its going to become harder and harder to accomplish. Its a feel good project that is high profile but it is a waste of MCI and government resources.

The Lake Simcoe Muskellunge Restoration Project (LSMRP) is a ten-year program of stocking, habitat rehabilitation, and assessment. Marked fish will be stocked for the first five years and assessed through juvenile and adult stages to evaluate the success of stocking in rebuilding the population. Spawning and nursery habitat assessment, rehabilitation and creation will continue throughout the ten-year life of the project.

As taken from the included attachments.....

Since January 1st, 2005, the muskellunge fishery on Lake’s Simcoe and Couchiching has been closed and will remain so until at least 2010, when the program will be evaluated to determine whether another five year closure is necessary. The goal of the first five year phase of the project is to restore the muskellunge to Lake Simcoe by stocking fall fingerling fish in late September/early October. Muskellunge are very difficult to raise due to cannibalism and take a tremendous amount of care and “feeding” therefore stocking muskellunge is all about quality and not quantity.

The habitat component of this project is also essential to the successful restoration of muskellunge to Lake Simcoe. Wetland creation, enhancement and protection on both public and private land will enhance the present spawning and nursery habitat available to muskellunge around the lake.

2006 LSMRP Highlights

Initiated a Lake Simcoe spawning and nursery habitat model

LSMRP Plans For 2007

Further develop habitat model to identify muskellunge spawning and nursery habitat as well as potential habitat rehabilitation sites around Lake Simcoe.

I guess you will just have to take our word for it for the time being as we don't have everything in writing at the moment. Similar to the accurate amount of fingerling released, it just isn't in writing yet.

I guess in this situation where Muskie don't spawn in the first few years of their lives, perhaps someone more experienced or knowledgeable than myself can tell us what age they are successful to spawn. I would think the reasoning behind restoring the population which equals the horse, before restoring the habitat which would equal the cart, is to give the Muskie a chance to develop.

Edited by Ron

I appreciate your reply.The Georgian Bay Musky takes a long time to reach maturity I believe Arunus was suggesting that females are still not mature at 42 " which would be about 10 years at least. We went through this same cart before the horse thing with brown trout on the grand river. Lets create a self sustaining trout population. Lets stock and lets build a spawning channel. Guess what? The dynamics of water manipulation preclude brown trout spawning. So now there is a fishery but non self sustaining. The question to be asked there is are enough anglers and tax $ satisfied for continual yearly stock. The answer so far has been yes.I dont think stocking musky in Simcoe as put and take will be economicably feasible. Im not saying its not a noble effort I personally would rather see MCI efforts go towards a fishery management idea that has a larger chance of success.Example reintroduction to Grand River or Spanish Harbour. Two systems where musky dissappeared because of polution but now that those problems have been cleared up are ripe for reintroduction. The problems with habitat degradation on Simcoe have not been addressed and I insist IMHO will only continue to worsen. Why isnt habitat work being done in conjunction with stocking? This is an idea that no forethought went into it was just lets reintroduce musky without figuring out why biological drift hadnt restored the musky population already. Biological drift has been responsible for increasing numbers of musky along the north shore of Lake Eire as far as Long Point with no stocking needed just a cleaning up of the water(by MR Zebr Mussel). Musky would be in lake Simcoe if the habitat was suitable for them.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Thank you RON for the info on the project , and allso thank you and people like you (Cris) that give their time and engery to projects like this . I may be acussed of belonging to the Marc Thorpe fan club I have met him more than once and hes a great guy but sorry, I make my own opinions and I give things said by Marc some weight but he anit god . I see nothing wrong with a put grow and take fishery on simco for muskies , IF and a very large IF , we had the money and manpower for this , sadly WE DONT. unless habit is FIRST addressed thats all WE are doing (yes I like many here, dont just talk I donnate time and money anyway I can so Ican sat WE) I just think that the few resourses we have ,in this case muskies canada ,mnr ,and the colledge and all the voliteers time and money would be better spent on something else. (Is it just me but was no one else DISTERBED by the condishion of the fish in the pics from Lews and Irishs last trip to scugog ) ???dam weres the spell checker

(Is it just me but was no one else DISTERBED by the condishion of the fish in the pics from Lews and Irishs last trip to scugog )

capt bruce, I'm assuming your talking about the lymphosarcoma that was evident on a couple of the fish that Wayne & I got on Scugog last week ??

That's a condition that is very prevelant in Kawartha muskies and something that occurs very regularily and my own guestimate is maybe 8-10 % of the fish have it.

I normally boat around 70 - 100+ muskies a year myself and regularily see 10-12 fish with that condition each season.

I've talked to the MNR about it and they are fully aware of the problem but claim it's a form of skin cancer and is just a natural thing that has been around for more than 100 years and is evidentely passed from one fish to another during the spawn.

I've also seen fish that have only a scar on them where it appears they've had this condition at one time, but it has healed over and cleared up, but that's only my opinion.

It may also be prevelant in other locations around the musky world, but I don't have that information.

It's definetely a very grotesque affliction, but doesn't seem to affect the strength of the fish at all and they still fight as well as any healthy fish.

Edited by lew

You know what they say. You can't please everyone...

It's disappointing to read so many negative comments about a club that is trying to do some good for the fishery. We are a small club of approximately 500 people spread across 3 provinces. We do what we can to try and help give something back to the fishery. Our members put in hundreds of volunteer hours working on projects local to the chapters as well as this one big project that we are all trying to accomplish.

Some folks seem ticked that we aren't doing anything their area. Re comments about the Grand and Spanish Rivers. By the way our guys were right there with the MNR when they were working on the Spanish River restoration project years ago. That could be a future project for the club. If it really is somehting you feel strong about why don't you come to a meeting and head that project up?

Others think that we aren't going about it the right way.

- Restore the habitat first etc. Ok that's a great comment. When can we expect to see you out with our guys to help and do the dirty work? We need all the help we can get it's a big lake. Any of you guys Scout Leaders? Great project for a Scout Troop. Thanks to the guys that volunteered to help.

- C&R only I am not sure about. I am pretty sure the minimum size regulation will most likely be 54" when the fishery re-opens. Also Know The Difference signs, funded by Fishing Forever and installed by MCI manpower, are posted around the lake. These signs show the difference between Pike and Muskie. Another public education resource undertaken by the club and it's supporters.

- The money Muskies Canada raised to support the Simcoe project is in the thousands. A lot of the money raised came from members. It certainly wasn't diverted from MNR gas tanks as one comment suggested.

Our club gives more to the MNR in the way of man hour assistance for their projects and fisheries data collection than any other fishing club I am aware of.

There are some folks that are just so bitter that they would rather MCI didn't exist. Fortunately for the Muskies we still care enough to keep working on it... If anyone is interested in joining the club or just helping out with one of our projects please come to a meeting or check out our website www.muskiescanada.ca for more information.

Ken Taggart

Muskies Canada

Edited by Weekend Angler

thanks Lew , when Irish spoke of bleeding sores , I could see the fish were large and otherwise heathy in the pics and still feeding , just seamed like you guys had bad luck that day in only getting fish that had this condishion (I have never caught a Muskie in sucgog that had this , lots with scar) or this condition is getting worse , with the spring carp die off still not really explained to me

I rather like hearing from both sides of an issue...the good the bad and the ugly

I like to read and make up my own mind

I don't know anyone what would call a guy that wears a kilt a god....

and I don't even agree with some of his opinions, but I do respect his knowledge of muskie...

I want to see the muskie to be continued to be stocked in Simcoe and hopefully with a little continuing help from man to keep the spawn areas open, it will not need stocking in the future

You know what they say. You can't please everyone...

It's disappointing to read so many negative comments about a club that is trying to do some good for the fishery. We are a small club of approximately 500 people spread across 3 provinces. We do what we can to try and help give something back to the fishery. Our members put in hundreds of volunteer hours working on projects local to the chapters as well as this one big project that we are all trying to accomplish.

Some folks seem ticked that we aren't doing anything their area. Re comments about the Grand and Spanish Rivers. By the way our guys were right there with the MNR when they were working on the Spanish River restoration project years ago. That could be a future project for the club. If it really is somehting you feel strong about why don't you come to a meeting and head that project up?

Others think that we aren't going about it the right way.

- Restore the habitat first etc. Ok that's a great comment. When can we expect to see you out with our guys to help and do the dirty work? We need all the help we can get it's a big lake. Any of you guys Scout Leaders? Great project for a Scout Troop. Thanks to the guys that volunteered to help.

- C&R only I am not sure about. I am pretty sure the minimum size regulation will most likely be 54" when the fishery re-opens. Also Know The Difference signs, funded entirely by MCI, are posted around the lake. These signs show the difference between Pike and Muskie. Another public education resource funded entirely by the club.

- The money Muskies Canada raised to support the Simcoe project is in the thousands. A lot of the money raised came from members. It certainly wasn't diverted from MNR gas tanks as one comment suggested.

Our club gives more to the MNR in the way of man hour assistance for their projects and fisheries data collection than any other fishing club I am aware of.

There are some folks that are just so bitter that they would rather MCI didn't exist. Fortunately for the Muskies we still care enough to keep working on it... If anyone is interested in joining the club or just helping out with one of our projects please come to a meeting or check out our website www.muskiescanada.ca for more information.

Ken Taggart

Muskies Canada

In regards to the first bolded part. MCI is a great organization. In fact I was a member for many years.The only reason I'm not is Ive let my membership lapse and Im to busy with other things right now to get reinvolved.

In reply to the second bolded part as I'm the only one mentioning those two projects, Lake Simcoe is more in my area than the Spanish river. Ive fished Simcoe hundreds of times and have never fished anywhere near the Spanish. The Grand is in my backyard yes but not the section where the management plan is to reintroduce(Brantford to Dunnville)

AS for the third part you cant to any rehab work if the MNR has no plan for such and by your own documents you know this is the case. Its bad science and you need to wake up to this fact. The habitat is already there on the spanish and Grand rivers that is why I keep recommending them Its called bang for your buck. The Simcoe project is a waste of money and time and I believe time will bear this out. Unfortunately that will be ten wasted years.

I don't know anyone what would call a guy that wears a kilt a god.... ya owe me a coffe and a roll of paper towel , coffe thu nose, towell to remove said cofee from comp screen . Im with Muskey or Specs , ITS all about bang for the buck . Im sorry if you think my comments against contuining this project in any way says IM against muskies canada or any club for that matter , I just think that our limited rescouses

should be used to bring the habitat back to where mother nature can TAKE CARE OF ITS SELF in stead of playing god (with or without a kilt or Pink TUTU) by trying to stock fish that dont belong there( lake simco is not geogin bay) ( Ron ,Im interested why couch fish were not chosen as these would be -I think-the same stock as somco's orginal fish ).

Chris Purdy, Ron and Marc

Thanks for the posts, not a big Muskie fisherperson but I value your thoughts on the matter.

Sometimes having different views leads to debates that in the end is good for an industry.

No need for a debat to turn into anything other than a exchange of idea's

Edited by LeXXington

I'd like to start by saying "Thanks" to Ron for his post(s) on this thread - seems there was a need to do a better job of explaining where the Simcoe project was at, and how it got there. It's also great to see a few folks express an interest in helping with the project and I'm sure you'll be more than welcome next spring.

As for the questions that have been raised about the condition of the lake habitat and its ability to sustain the fish that are being restored to Simcoe - I'm neither a biologist, nor am I personally familiar with the lake; however, I am pretty confident that the biologists who are guiding the project would not have undertaken the work if they had thought it wasn't a viable option. But don't take my word for it.

This Wednesday evening (7 Nov '07), the Toronto Chapter of Muskies Canada Inc. will be hosting a presentation by Jason Borwick on the status of the project. Jason is the lead OMNR biologist on the LSMRP project. I have had the pleasure of hearing Jason do a couple of presentations over the past few years and he is an excellent speaker with a comprehensive, scientific knowledge of the project. I'm sure he would be in the best position to address the concerns that have been raised here about muskie habitat and the potential for the project to succeed. As always, the public is welcome to attend the meeting - who knows, it might be an opportunity for folks to learn about MCI as well. Timings, location, etc. for the meeting can be found on the website (www.muskiescanada.ca) and follow the link to the Toronto Chapter page.

Chris

I voted large fish but few.

They will be like the walleyes of Simcoe; cruising open waters feeding on oily baitfish schools.

When the mouth of the Talbot was open for walleye until the 31st of March i would go there and see

Simcoe walleyes pulled through the ice seemingly well over 20 lbs. My PB walleye of 16 lbs. came from

this area of Lake Simcoe. The ministry closed the season after March 15th going a long way to protect this fishery.

I'm under the impression that musky are a native species of Simcoe.

I trust musky rehabilitation on Simcoe will eventually be successful (with intelligent co-operation amongst interest groups)

and looking forward to their re-establishment.

Obviously, they would have their 54" length restriction which would solidly protect them.

The encroachment of urban sprawl, with farming and industry has led to shoreline habitat loss, but

the main problem seems to be phosphorous from fertilizers depleting oxygen from the depths where

whitefish and lake trout hangout. They have become stocked now and are successfully considered a

put and take fishery.

Let's hope the best for the Simcoe musky which IMHO could be huge fish if they succeed, Simcoe is a big lake

so a many fish could seem like a few (such as the walleye).

cheers,

ehg

If the project was started in 1996, and its 2007, and the average age for a female musky to spawn is 7 yrs old...then shouldn't it,habitat restoration, have been on the agenda when the project was started? Also, if the MNR doesn't have a plan in place for habitat restoration, then shouldn't the program be suspended for awhile to get the people involved on the same page? I can only imagine the hurdles they would be facing over at the MNR offices. Trying to get through the red tape of something like this when people have to have bake sales to put gas in the MNR vehicles.

A good pat on the back to the people that put time and money in on this project. I hope it all turns out for the best and we see a WR come out of there. Good luck to all involved.

Ron, I was very pleased to read a great reply on your part. Most informative, greatly needed on MCI behalf towards public relations. I am also pleased at the various responses from other members of MCI

On Friday I read Chris Purdy’ response, I called Chris and discussed briefly that he may have miss-interpreted my post and he replied he did not. I spoke point by point the meaning of my post with him until we reached the issue of money’s spent and he was under the impression I was suggesting it was not all accounted for which was not the case. What I was trying to convey or point out which I suspect many understood was in the past all the monies generated by Public donations did not have a good return on donation or investment value. I am using in consideration the business case plan for LSMRP along with all the other info I have on file for this project from its conception.

Chris proceeded to suggest I articulate myself better. Soon afterwards the phone got disconnected, I called back and left a message.

I am responding to Chris and hopefully add some more informative stuff to this discussion. I would have preferred to discuss this with him prior to my posting

Hopefully my explanation and views will be better understood, let me be clear I wish and would hope the general public supports and get involved in this project and it is entirely feasible and elements exist for Muskies to sustain themselves in Simcoe, what is important is the generated funds by donations have a maximum return in fingerlings re-introduced and minimize these funds for trial and error. It is my understanding some habitat restoration should be considered but certain elements do exist for propagation.

I fully understand they went through trials and errors and genetic analysis. Some of these problems could have been adverted. In the U.S they have programs, which are State funded and assisted by local organizations. Some fisheries are put and take other fisheries are management and supplemented for Trophy fisheries such as Minnesota, Green Bay Wisconsin is another fishery with this intent. Some of these resources are suspected to have a reproducing population that have been established through stockings, although I am not sure if they are sustainable by themselves or not, I suspect the State may not know either but the elements for propagation are present. In regards to raising Muskies, there were mistakes made which could have bee adverted, on several occasions I suggested we visit some of the hatchery facilities which are state of the art in the U.S and very advanced in the raising of brood stocks and fingerlings.

Nj Hatchery http://www.state.nj.us/dep//fgw/brdstk02.htm (Which I personally visited)

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hacktown.htm

There was also a 2007 Coolwater Fish Culture Workshop held in NJ to which many were invited, unfortunately none could attend, This would have been a great opportunity to discuss issues with other hatcheries from abroad. These tools are available

As Ron points out, one of the important things, which seem to come was to get brood stock from areas where pike and muskie coexisted. Genetically it is my understanding there has been no markers or dna proving muskies have strains or sub species amongst them in exception of the Shoepack strain. Possibly further information on this matter has advanced, I do not know.

Through discussuions,it was suggested that for a population to establish self propagation it would take 3 generations which in time would be 15 to 21 years.

In regards to the Spanish River, I believe there was some work done on muskies

http://www.friendsofthespanishriver.ca/

http://www.friendsofthespanishriver.ca/Mus...ing_program.htm

http://www.friendsofthespanishriver.ca/Mus...ess%20Index.htm

Possibly someone is more familiar with this project than me

MCI is a great organization, it somewhat disappoints me when some seem to think disgruntles are at play. Chris’ reply and Matt’s reply exemplify why I no longer belong.

It is Ron’s response and Ken’s that exemplify good public relations and what most members are about. I have always believed if you ask for financial support through public donations, public relations and project updates should be shared with the greater public. By being informative about a project of this importance, you would inevitably gain public support, which in turn increases financial stability, and support for the project

All aspects should be reported because simply in the end its people trying to do good by volunteering. This is the basis of MCI, MCI is comprised of anglers from all walks of life, and this is what makes it so unique.

I am very pleased that 1000 fish or more have been raised. That is a step in the right direction.

Steve and the Sir Sanford Fleming team, you should be proud of reaching those numbers this year, the return on public donated funds is of value. I think Chris Purdy should recognize the value of this accomplishment under his tenor, my reply was not directed at him or anyone specific.

I sincerely hope the greater angling public supports this project; after all historically there were muskies in Simcoe .

With united and collective efforts from all anglers, this project will only succeed

Once again Ron, thank you for such an informative response.

Marc Thorpe

Edited by marc thorpe

Thanks Marc , you again show why your a well respected member of this forum or any forum you would care to share in. BUT perhaps I should remind you there were historically t-rexs in Alberta , hairy elephants in alaska , alantics in lake o , etc. etc. that was than (dont we all long to go back) this is now . If all the money spent in taxes on fishhing went to fishing as it should we may be able to try to regain the past BUT IT AINT . and the small amount of cash and people power we do have needs to go towards just slowing down the losses . Time for clubs instaed of taking over hatcherys maybe should be thinking of buying /taking over - what ever it takes - spawning habitat , wetlands etc. We need to make sure the very things these fish need to survive are preserved , This lake after lake every inch of shore line bought up , every little creek and inlet drained , every wetland swamp drained ,has to stop , we dont have the money to keep putting bandadges on the wounds . And I think the lake simco muskie restoration is just that a rather large bandage, on a lake thats screaming in pain ..

Hi Bruce,muskies did not become extinct

They were pilfered into Oblivian,by mankind

Atlantics suffered the same fate and the buildings of dams sealed their fate

I fully understand that Simcoe is screaming in pain,due to fishing pressure,home owner incroachement and farmland drain offs

I dont think monnies accumalated from licenses in the province suffice to manage the entire provincial resource.Buying up land or lake front property,is far out of reach for organizations

Your damn if you and your dammed if you dont,in this case I consider being part of the solution is far better than being part of the problem

I'm not much of a 'poster' on this site, but do check in from time to time. Great thread, nice to hear the many opinions on the matter. I'm also a member of Muskies Canada Hamilton Chapter. Part of the reason for joining the group a few years ago was to learn more about this whole fishing thing and obviously Muskie fishing. At the beginning I really didn't care much for the group as I didn't know what they did. It's been a real adventure thus far and the future looks good too. I've developed genuine respect for MCI's efforts over the years. Quite frankly I would be just as happy helping out with other efforts and work with other fish species like Trout, Bass or even Carp. I like to fish for them too.

Well on Wednesday I got in the truck and drove out to the Toronto MCI chapter meeting. I would of gone to it even if I wasn't a member of MCI after reading this thread and knowing there was an 'invite from the group'. The presentation by Jason Borwick on the status of the project was great! It really gave me in-site into the passion and dedication some people have in this project. Mr. Purdy was also at the meeting. In fact I think I sat beside him while Jason was presenting. At one point, the amount of questions from the group almost overtook the presentation and we had to ease up on Jason, so that he could finish presenting. It was great to see a really active meeting with much discussion.

Reading this thread really helped contribute to the development of my own opinion. I too was concerned about the viability of such an undertaking. The idea of all this effort just to create a put/grow/take fishery didn't sit well with me. So, I had a list of questions and concerns that I took with me to the meeting. I'm glad I went and not only did I get answers, but I was able see other aspects of the project I wasn't aware of. There were a few questions on habitat and all I can say is that they have done their homework. Five locations on the lake are great for Muskie spawning and this is where the fish were installed. Other less adequate locations have also been identified and more habitat surveys are going to be done next year.

These are my thoughts so far and I hope they contribute to your thoughts on the matter.

Bruno...

Edited by Bruski

The minute I get badgered for posting this information, it will get deleted just as fast.

We had an extraordinary presentation on the Project from Jason Borwick. Some great information has come out which I will be working on to submit to the MCI web page. For the time being, I have dug up a link which Jason also presented. It was on our local ch 12 news.

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/articles/Newsw...skieProject.WMV

He also had some excellent photos in his presentation as well. Here is one of them.

022.gif

If you look closely at the dorsal fin, you will see one of the tags they insert into the fish for future data collecting.

Only one muskie has been recorded to have been caught with a tag, first time by a MCI member and remarkably a second time by another angler.

With all the netting they have done, they have yet to have caught another tagged muskie. (I think they have caught and tagged 59).

With this only being in the 3rd yr, the data collected can start to form useful information.

Some of the info I recall off hand, just don't quote me for the accuracy!

There have been 11 different pairs introduced, well on our way for 0% chance of genetic mutation, (my own words).

Existing habitat will sustain a viable healthy population, more habitat improvements are still planned though.

There has been a successful amount of stocking this year with over 1500 muskie stocked from 5 different parents.

There has also been muskie fingerling released back into Georgian Bay. The reason for this is due to the VHS waters where these fish were raised.

They have stocked fish in 6 different areas which has excellent habitat for muskie reproduction.

Unfortunately for Wisconsin, who have contributed a good chunk of change towards this project in return for muskie fingerling for their program, did not receive their portion.

This project has potential for lots of other projects, saying that the monies spent on setting the tanks and such up is already an investment where money won't have to be spent on again.

This project has been funded by numerous sources. Not only Muskies Canada, but also Canadian National Sportmen's Show, Sir Sanford Fleming College, Fishing Forever (Bob Izumi Outdoors), MCI Muskie Odyssey, One of our founding members, Paul Gasbarino personally donated an exceptional amount as well.

I am sure there is more but this is what I have recalled so far.

Be sure to check out the News coverage.

It was nice meeting you Bruno, nice to out a face to a name.