"There's MONSTERS out there"...

irishfield

..but unfortunately like Roy told us in Montreal... "you can't put a follow on the cover of Ontario Out of Doors!"

Kickingfrog (Rob) and Glen (Glen) arrived at my place this morning about 8:35. Worked good for them with Glen coming from Alliston and swinging into Barrie and picking up Rob. We headed down to Pete Peterson Park in Midland and launched the Lund, parked the truck/trailer and off we went in search of Esox.

I'd picked up a CT-700B reel last week and on Saturday a Compre to put it on..so we had enough equipment for all of us to troll with...and we trolled and we trolled, all pulling a different style of bait and colour. Early into the morning, out on the sound, I stopped the boat so we could all clean the weeds off our baits...as we'd unintentionally went over a hump covered in them. As I was reeling mine in...with over 2 feet of weeds trailing behind it I saw that tell tail shadow coming. Glen saw it too and it followed right to the boat and sat less than an inch below the surface. I tried to get some weeds off the bait and keep her entertained at the same time and she hung around for a fair bit...long enough that Rob could also come over and look at her. Best we figure... comparing what we saw immediately to my gunnel scale immediately above the fish.... is the + side of 52 inches. Learned the hard way to always have a casting bait rigged and ready!

So when I went to rig something, I grabbed the new Lindy 8" Tiger tubes I got took for (well in all honesty I was dumb enough to pay it) at Tromblys for $27.99 (one rigged, one spare). I go to put it on and hook it to my reel to set to one side and the treble hook falls off. The trailer wire sleeve was not crimped. Crimped that end and the other end falls off the single hook for the same reason. Find that sleeve on the floor and crimp that one. Not impressed in the least and have an email off to Lindy on that one. I'd even sharpened the hooks on this bait Sunday with a file...and nothing fell apart then.

Anywho... We stopped a couple times to cast and I stuck with the Muskie gear and the lads downsized. None of us raised anything and Rob had some perch nibbling. I had two 4 inch perch follow an 8" bait...guess they thought it was momma!

All in all just seeing that monster had us all pumped and in the end very satisfied with the day on the water. Can't beat a high of 26...wind dropped to nil by noon and went back to a light chop by 4PM. Off the water about 5:30 and had Rob and Glen headin home by 6PM.

If you get a chance to fish with either of these guys go for it. Good boat companions...didn't break anything...and they brought lunch to boot!

Three hours later now and it's pouring out...I think we picked the right day for this week.

Pics from the day..

Kickingfrog gettin settled in.

gbay1.jpg

Glen doin the same

gbay2.jpg

Gave the right of way to this guy for some reason. Another load of grain before winter.

gbay3.jpg

Glen fishing with 2 rods...LOL

gbay4.jpg

Rob enjoying the flatness of the sound. Rarely this way anytime of year..let alone October

gbay5.jpg

Glen's catch of the day.

gbay6.jpg

Rob and Glen throwing smaller baits trying to entice some pickeral/pike just to get that fishy smell on them so their wives don't think they went to the peelers today.

gbay7.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Hey at least you got to see one of those legendary Georgian Bay beasts!

You're right about the weather, definitely crazy for late October, maybe a bit too nice.

Next time head out when the winds are whipping up, the temps have dropped, and there's

snot dripping off your nose.

Now THAT'S musky weather :D .

Guest gbfisher

No monsters but at least it was an AMAIZING day out. Nice to see ya out there tryin!!

I was out the day before. No Musky but did very well on the bait!! :thumbsup_anim: Out again on Friday. Looks like another warm day once again. The water temps are crazy.... :o Gonna have another good feed again come friday night.. :D

Thanks for the report Wayne .. always love to hear about the big girls on GB ... I gotta say I think the follow is almost as much excitment as the fight (almost) ... but what makes GB so special is the fact that the next world record is very likely to come from there ... almost every time out I get (at least) a glimpse of a monster ... its what makes 10 hrs without a hit worth getting excited about coming back for :)

Edited by camillj

That fish will haunt you.

I had that happen on Gbay and I can't forget it.

It was a dead calm day, no fish biting and a monster follows up to the boat.

It could have been the ONE.

Now it lingers in my insane mind.

Pretty fish. My precious.

Great report Wayne....great to see a few OFNers took you up on your offer! I've never had a muskie follow until about a month ago...and man does it ever get your adrenaline going!!! Great report and pics...looked like you guys had a great day on the water.

Good to hear you boyz enjoyed your day on the Bay.

There's a little hint in there for ya Wayne ;)

Yah I hear ya Lew ! I did intend to go over/around the hump...but it wasn't to be as shallow as it was. We came back and casted the spot a few hours later...but nothing but the little perch snacks the muskie was munchin on.

when ever I'm on boat trip on a lake I always have two rods rigged up. Cause you never know what might happen. Something like you said you saw a big fish and couldn't fire a cast out quick enough. Or when you get a birds nest and you see a huge monster close by and your rod is all tangled up with line. Or you just had a hit but the fish missed it.