Advice/Opinions

Bly

Good morning everyone!

Recently my 2 favorite fishing rods were stolen. I have bought one replacement (Fenwick 2pc 6'6 medium) and although it is a fine fishing rod, it isn't quite "right"(*note to Mike the Pike and Greencoachdog...might explain my lack of fish lol), feels "flimsy" compared to my old Fen and it does not seem to like it when I toss a 1 ounce spoon or larger baits. Through this experience I have learned that I prefer one piece rods, still wavering about the 6'6 vs the 7'.

Been doing a lot of reading about fishing rods and looking around and now I am at the point where I would like some input from the massive knowledge/experience base that is OFC :)

Looking to get

a medium-medium heavy one piece spinning rod

Not completely decided on the length

Fast....

Lure weight needs to allow for at least 3/4 ounce

graphite

I am 5'5 and mostly shore fish (will use it from a boat 0ccasionaly), would like to use this rod to fish (cast & retrieve) for pike/musky/those beautiful fall walleye.

Looked at a few different ones..shimano, fenwick, and st. croix. Budget minded...would prefer to keep it around the $100 if possible.

Thoughts?? Over all experiences with manufacturer/warranty etc.??? Recommendations?? Anything that I may have missed and need to consider??

Thank you and I hope that everyone is not tired of questions like this.

I got a new shimano sojourn medium heavy rod, fast action, fiberglass rod....got it cheap at $30 at a local tackle store. I really like it! Oh wait...you bought it for me....forget what I just typed.....

Get back to work so I can afford to buy a good rod!!! :w00t::P

7' MH 1pc, take your pick of manufacturer. The quality will all be similar in that $ range. Find one that feels good in your hands and if possible fit the same reel as you plan on using on it in the store to get a good idea.

The spinning rod I use in this class was actually a bit less.. around $60 if I remember right. It is a Daiwa Heartland "Bass" 7' MH 1pc. Personally, I dislike 2 pc rods and have no use for 6'6" or shorter rods.

Edited by Raf

i own a couple rods, really would have to go check the out and find one thqat fits you, but two that come to mind are st. croix premier 6.6 mh fast taper i use it for bottom bouncing and casting great sensitve rod, anothe would be a shimano compre anothe great feeling semi-stiff rod great hook sets and feelor or or there is so many just drag your butt over to gagnons and check them out

For the pier, I would actually go with a 2 piece 8 or 9 foot. You'll really appreciate the difference when fighting the bigger fish when using a superline. Less strain on the hook hole and greater sensitivity. You'll also be able to feel the lure action alot beter and be able to tell when you've picked up a weed or fouled the lure...you can also adjust your retrieve speed for maximum wobble.

Shimano and Fenwick make rods suitable for this.

7' MH 1pc, take your pick of manufacturer. The quality will all be similar in that $ range. Find one that feels good in your hands and if possible fit the same reel as you plan on using on it in the store to get a good idea.

The spinning rod I use in this class was actually a bit less.. around $60 if I remember right. It is a Daiwa Heartland "Bass" 7' MH 1pc. Personally, I dislike 2 pc rods and have no use for 6'6" or shorter rods.

Thanks Raf :) Just curious as I have limited experience....why no use for the 6'6 or shorter?

Thanks Raf :) Just curious as I have limited experience....why no use for the 6'6 or shorter?

I feel the 7' gives me more casting distance and better control when fighting the fish. The only time I would use a 6'6" or shorter is when vertical jigging and I only do that through the ice or once or twice a year in the spring.

Rick also makes a good point re: long rods. I have an 8'6" Shimano Clarus 2pc. It's a "steelhead" rod but I use it for a lot of different things (casting, trolling - planer boards, riggers and long lines) I can't say enough good things about it, very versatile rod. I think it was about $80.

Edited by Raf

It's impossible to find "one" rod that will do everything you described, but a 7' M/H action is about as close as you'll get. Definitely agree with the choice of a 7'er for most of the reasons Raf already mentioned.

As Rick already mentioned, a longer rod in the 8-10' range, is a HUGE advantage when shore casting for salmon and trout. Something to think about since you do a lot of that...(guess you

might need to buy 2 rods ;) ).

As far as brands around the $100 range go, there's a glut available on the market. My choice in

that price range? Hands down the St. Croix Premier. They're a bit more money ($130ish), but

a 1000 times better rod than anything else in that price range with a fantastic warranty. (my opinion)

What Raf and Rick said. I don't mind using a short rod when out in the boat or when fishing a small creek or stream. It also depends on what I'm fishing for. The other thing that I noticed this year was what one manufacture would call a medium heavy action would be similar to another’s medium action. You've got to carefully check them out before you buy one to make sure it's what you're looking for. Don't go by the label alone. The night I met up with you and Cliff I was using a 7'10" medium heavy action Diawa Heartland walleye rod. It's telescopic baitcasting rod that has worked get for the Quinte eyes and that salmon from the other night. Note to self...get caught up on posting reports. :whistling:

Thank you!! I realize that I have to choose the rod myself but all the input helps!

Ecmilley.... I have been in gagnons many times in the past few weeks looking at different rods. They had some new rods in but the choices were still limited...will be going back but thought I would do some information gathering while waiting for new stock.

Adding the St Croix and the Compre to the list to check out when they are in :)

I am fairly happy with my pier/salmon rod (9ft) and my trout/float rod (12'6), the new rod will be more for the canoe, few boat trips (not trolling) and other shore areas.

In the past few weeks, I have learned a few things about fishing rods...

I need to learn to use a baitcaster :lol:

As Fishnsled mentioned.....there is no standard in the business..one companys medium is anothers medium heavy etc.

I need a bigger fishing budget :lol:

I have an OKUMA "Guide Select" and its a great rod.. Mines 6'6 Med power \rated for up to 15 lb line, and med taper which is good for the all round fishing I do with it. You can also get it in a MH which is most likely what you want if you want to use it for muskie too... Other good stuff is it was under $100 (I know Sam carries em), and best of all it has a lifetime warranty... I have enjoyed using it and its definately a good product, Ohh right and it is a one piece... Good luck on your choice,

Bill

Edited by Bill Parker