Chinook Salmon - New Personal Best

ccmtcanada

Wow...that's all I can say. Bly and I headed out again tonight...me in search of my second salmon from shore and she awaiting her first.

We got there at around 8pm...the sun was going down and there were quite a lot of people around. This time, I didn't bother experimenting with crank baits and went straight to tossing my spoon.

About 45 minutes in (exactly 24 hours since I hooked my first one last night), I have a HUGE hit. Quickly set the hook and the fight is on!!! This one took off on a few hard runs, but I felt a little more confident and thumbed the spool as she started to run towards some snags in the water. I thought I had lost her at one point...the line went completely slack....so I started to reel as fast as I could. Wouldn't you know it...she was almost right in front of me!! She took off on a few more quick runs, but she couldn't escape the net!!

Here she is...a real beauty and my new personal best. She measured in at 38" in length and came in at 18.5 pounds. This also beats the current best for team 6!! We have a new entry in the OFC tourney.

18.5pounds38inches.jpg

After removing the hook, I looked in amazement...she completely destroyed the trebles and her teeth did a number on the paint.

lure.jpg

I quickly replaced the trebles and started casting out again. Apparently, my rod was no match for two powerful salmon as the tip broke off on my next cast out there. We continued fishing...Bly had a few solid hits, but she was unlucky and didn't end up fighting one. Her time will come...and you just know it...she'll beat my PB length by an inch and weight by a pound. That's ok...I'm used to it now...between the two of us, she has the largest steelhead and walleye....LOL.

Anyhow....pretty tired...need sleep.

I'm still pumped.....

Well that's great Cliff, you continue to amaze me.

I'm sure its all beginners luck tho :P:lol:

That one is a real beaut, nice a silver.

C'mon Bly, get cracking, can't let Cliff be out in front for too long :D

Reel, MF, Reel.......

Joey

Thanks everyone....my goal this year was to catch one salmon that qualifies for an OFAH award. This fish made it by a mere 2 inches. If I dont catch another one this year, then I'll be very content with the successes I've already had....

now.....

I WANNA BIG MUSKIE!!!!!!! LOL :lol:

Congrats Cliff and I'm sure your right - Bly is just letting your ego climb a bit so she can drop it that much further with her 40" 20lber tonight :).

Hmm now I'm gonna have to learn all about this salmon shore fishing stuff - when's payday or as I now call it "give bass pro all my money day"?

Edited by TbayBoy

Great stuff ccmt ....Jen and i hit Burlinton pier and Port Credit last night from 9:30 till 1ish never seen a fish caught ...1st time i have ever been to the Credit and never even seen a fish jump or even got 1 hit ....Guess i will wait to get them in the net for the Hatchery ...thanks for the report ...Fishmaster