Had a GREAT Day on the Trent Severn...

ccmtcanada

Bly and I put up a post earlier this week asking for a hookup. We had a few great offers, but brickNblock was the first to respond with a great offer...we could have the use of his 14ft tinny and motor all day. After a few insistent PMs from Whopper telling us that we really really should go and meet him and his wife, we accepted the offer. We actually accepted before the PMs from Whopper, but his insistence sealed it for us. We trust his opinion on people!

Anyhow, Bly and I were up at 5:45am on Saturday morning, filled up on coffee and hit the road. We were greeted with a great sunrise. This was an indication of how the day would go!

01clouds.jpg

We arrived in the Trenton area by 7:45 and looked for a Tim Hortons so we get some breakfast and a few sandwiches for our cooler. We finally arrived at his place at 8:00am and before we even got out of the car, he was walking towards us to shake our hands. We got out of the car, introduced ourselves and Charmaine came out to greet us as well. The invited us inside their house and chatted for a while. They are two of the friendliest people I've ever met! After a brief tour he showed us the boat, got all the safety equipment we needed and told us a few spots to try out. Here's a shot from their place...wow...to wake up to this view everyday would be heaven!!

04dock.jpg

After reading a few posts on how the fishing as been non-existant this weekend from Simcoe to the Kawarthas, it makes sense on the kind of bite we were experiencing, but we did catch a few fish throughout the day. We ended up launching at around 9:30am and headed to a spot he suggested. After navigating around a few huge boulders near the launch area, we were off....speeding away as fast as a 4hp motor would take us! I also brought along my new trolling motor and battery (bought Thursday!!).

The bite was pretty slow, so I decided to do my best TJ impression. I dont think I have the technique quite right, but here was my attempt.

02TJimpression.jpg

Bly of course was the first to catch a fish. Using one of Nipissing's jigs he gave us up at Lakair this year, she caught this small smallie.

03carolefirstfishday.jpg

At around noon, we decided to try another spot, but as we passed by brickNblock's place, we noticed a few extra bodies walking around the yard, so we headed back and say hi. BigChev and LadyWalleye had arrived! We docked the boat and chatted with them for a few hours. The company was great, and we had a great time catching up since we last saw them at Lakair. They had their new boat with them so we of course had to take a look. It's a beautiful boat! The pictures just dont do it justice. At around 3pm, BigChev, Ladywalleye, brickNblock and Charmaine headed off to the Bay of Quinte and we hit the waters again...this time in a different direction. Here's a group shot of us before we went our separate ways. brickNblock insisted that we join them all for dinner tonight, so the goal was to be back by 6pm.

05groupshot.jpg

The bite remained slow for Bly and I, but we truly didn't care. We were having a blast out there, and we couldn't ask for better company. We tried trolling, casting and drifting. Drifting seemed to be working the best as we did manage a few hits. I decided to try out a variation of TJ's classic pose to see if it would work....

07modifiedTJimpression.jpg

Wouldn't you know it...I landed this little rock bass. The fight was awesome...my 30lb power pro just managed to bring this guy in....LOL.

08cliffrockbass.jpg

Bly then brought in her own World's Greatest Sport Fish a little while later....

06carolerockbass.jpg

As 6pm drew closer and closer, we were still hoping that at least one of us would catch a respectable fish. Suddenly, we both have hits...we both set the hook and there you go...a Double Header! Admittedly, Bly's fish fought a tiny bit more, but I still think mine was the more majestic fish....Here's the pic...hers is on the left...mine on the right....you judge...LOL

09doubleheader.jpg

That smallie that she caught put up a great fight, coming out of the water multiple times with their patented head shaking. It was pretty exciting!

At about 615pm, we headed back to the dock to find that everyone had come back from Quinte. Bly and I asked brickNblock where the nearest grocery store was so that we could go buy some stuff for the barbecue that they had planned, but he emphatically shook his head..."Nope...we're having none of that...by the way, how do you like your steak?" We were hungry after a day of fishing, and were AMAZED at the dinner that they put out for us. The steak was awesome! Charmaine made the BEST potatoes we ever had and it was completed with some very nice veggies and garlic bread.....YUM!!!!

After dinner, we stayed for some dock fishing after dark. To the light of the bon fire, a few of us tried out luck off the dock. Bly was the only one who caught anything...3 small rock bass...but something hit her line one time and after seeing the shape swimming around the dock, brickNblock figured it was either a gar pike or muskie!!

We put the rods away and chatted and laughed around the camp fire.

10chattingaroundfire.jpg

We had originally planned on leaving before dinner, but since things were going ok at home, we ended up there until 1030pm!! He graciously offered that we could spend the night and Chuck said we could all go fishing on Sunday in his boat, but we just had to head home.

We had a fantastic day...one that we wont soon forget. brickNblock and Charmaine were incredibly friendly...by the end of the day, it had felt like we've known them for years. Having BigChev and Ladywalleye there as well was just a pure bonus!

We hope to meet up them again soon...like I said, they are great people...and thanks to them, we had a very memorable Labour Day weekend.

Yes the B&B crew are some of the nicest people to meet I am glad you got a chance to see them I got to know the a year ago at LAk Air. What a bonus too you got the company of my favorite wooly mammoth and his lovely wife also. Glad the day and 1/2 the night went well.

Art

This is ladyWalleye snoopin in on your post Cliff... It was a pleasure to see you two out here... and we're really glad you had a good time.. the offer to join us in the boat is open to any day you'd like to come along.....

We headed out to Picton today.. but will post later.. as Charmaine is ringing her dinner bell.... lol

Hello there,

Pete and I just wanted to say thank you for coming to our humble little home and spending the day with us, we really had a great time and enjoyed having you guys here,as well as having Chuck and Shelley here, it's a weekend we'll all remember for a very long time. We loved the boating and fishing we got to do with Chuck and Shelley and I'm sure Peter will have something to say later today,so again thanks for coming out and "PLEASE" feel free to come any time,we enjoyed your company and look forward to spending some time with the both of you in the near future.Thanks for the ,Thank-you gift,it was very thoughtful of you both, I really appreciated it.Were just unwinding from a great weekend,Chuck and Shelley left early this morning, and Pete and I had some work to do when they left,so now were getting ready for school in the morning.

Take Care

Happy Fishing

Charmaine

This is ladyWalleye snoopin in on your post Cliff... It was a pleasure to see you two out here... and we're really glad you had a good time.. the offer to join us in the boat is open to any day you'd like to come along.....

We headed out to Picton today.. but will post later.. as Charmaine is ringing her dinner bell.... lol

It was great seeing you guys again! Thanks for the offer in your boat as well. I'm sure we'll be seeing you guys again. Take care!

Cliff

It's too bad we didn't get to join you guys this weekend, but as I mentioned to Pete and Charmaine, we already had plans to go to Roys. Maybe next time.

Great report Cliff, looks like you all had a super time :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Ah... its good to see my style of fishing is "catching" on... lol.. keep fishing like that and you'll get nothing but big ones!! Looks like you had a great day with the crew!!!