Pigeon Lake-W/E Update

nelly

Just a heads up from the weekend fishing. Between the three of us fishing for two days, the final count was 2 walleyes 12"-13", 2 slab crappie 12", 12-15 lm bass from 1-2 lbs, 5 muskie landed and the largest was aleast 20 lbs.

We were fishing the north part of the lake, which would be the upper 1/3 of pigeon. Most of the fish were caught on strike king 1/2 oz white spinnerblades. Team 3, sorry to say that I was the only guy who did not land a muskie and could not contribue inches for the team.

On a sad note, the largest muskie did not survive. We did try to revive it for aleast the next 30 minutes but it kept turning on it side and floated away each time. We did not what it to spoil and kept it for a fish fry back at the cottage. This is our first and only time we ate muskie. I know afew of you guys are going to be upset but what would you have done?

On a happy note, all the other fish were release expect for the the slab crappie.

My friend's wife has the picture on digital but they are still at the cottage for the whole week on vacation. The muskie were caught in the late morning 10 am and in the mid afternoon 3:30. Three on Saturday and two on Sunday.

On a sad note, the largest muskie did not survive. We did try to revive it for aleast the next 30 minutes but it kept turning on it side and floated away each time. We did not what it to spoil and kept it for a fish fry back at the cottage. This is our first and only time we ate muskie. I know afew of you guys are going to be upset but what would you have done?

nelly, congrats to you and the rest of your crew on a very successful weekend. Pigeon is an excellent lake and is always a great lake to fish and has always been one of my favorites.

As for the dead musky, you spent 30 minutes trying to revive it and that's all anyone could ask for. Muskies fight incredibly hard and sometimes it proves fatal to them and there's abssolutely nothing you can do to prevent it.

You tried and it didn't work.....that's musky fish'n.

Anyone who fishes for musky on a regular basis, has caught alot of them and then says he's never had one die on him, is well, you know.......

Don't sweat it pal, it happens, but thanks for trying to save her anyways.

I hope the 'ski tasted good. It's too bad that we catch some and we kill some unfortunately.

Pidge is pretty good. I've been up a coupla times this year once for Muskie and once with the family for panfish. And I have a home base at Pigeon Hollow trailer park, a buddy has a nice trailer there. He's also got a nice Tahoe bowrider that I'll have to borrow for fishing (I gotta slime it a bit, it's too pretty).

i dont think he was specifically targetting muskie - a 1/2 oz spinnerbait is a great multi species bait for the lake & anything will hit it - I dont fault him for being under-equipped, unless muskie was the desired target.

The one muskie that expired onme, came while walleye trolling with light gear, nothing i could do to help it - every year up that way i get muskie while walleye fishing, I am now experimenting with stronger floro leaders while eye fishing now, so that accidental 'skies wont wont bite me off with 3 trebles in there yap - working so far....

Thanks for all the replys. First of all I want to tell you folks that we are NOT muskie fisherman at all. We were targeting bass and we were fishing difference areas and not just one main spot. The test line that we were using was mainly 15-20lb braided. As I mention from before, it was the largest muskie that did not survive. Our scale only goes up to 15 lbs and it read it as OFF the scale. We are guessing that it was 20 lbs and around 40" making it easily a legal size. I will try and get those photo when my friends come back from the cottage next week.

Some of you are wonder what the muskie taste like? Not much of a fish eater myself but I do have to admit that it was pretty good. I thought it would have more of a game taste but didn't. Taste much better than pike since the meat was more firm. We fillet it like a pike and cut it into cube and fry it with cajun spice. There was plenty to go around for everyone.

I am not telling you folks to keep your muskie for the frying pan OR telling you to release your muskie. That is your choice to make. I thought at the time since it was a legal size, it was best not to spoil it. On a positive note for all the non-muskie fisherman, I think we save the life of aleast of 100 other fish (bass, walleye, crappie etc.) during a course of one season.

This is from the MNR consumption guide.

"Muskellunge - Consumption tables in this Guide do not normally provide advisories for muskellunge. To maintain healthy muskellunge populations, the Sport Fish Contaminant Monitoring Program encourages catch and release of this species as it generally cannot sustain heavy fishing pressure. If you do wish to keep a legal-sized muskellunge for consumption, it will likely have elevated mercury levels, and should not be consumed by women of childbearing age and children under 15. Trophy sized muskellunge usually have very high mercury levels and should not be consumed by anyone.(emphasis added)"