I'm Now A Member Of The 40" Club

bigbuck

Well, Friday morning I was able to get out for a day of fishing with my old bud Tony. We hit the road from Markham shortly after 7:00 and were on the water over by Bobcaygeon about 9:30 or so after a couple of pit stops. We hit quite a few spots and after about 2 hours or so of casting my 'squirrel' (big black bucktail) I felt a mighty tug on the line. I set the hook and the battle begun, it took about 3-4 minutes to get this girl tired enough to cradle and perform a bit of hook removal surgery. She measured in at 41 inches and was fairly hefty, no marks and real pretty.

A real healthy Kawartha's muskie. We spent the rest of the day hitting a bunch of different spots to no avail, not even a raised fish but I'm not complaining, 41 is my new PB. Now I need a 45+ incher.

The bugger was some guy crossed behind us and spooled my 7000 Abu of brand new 80lb PP, a 2ft fluorocarbon leader and a brand spanking new ShallowRaider that I was trolling about 50 feet behind us. We tried yelling but he was oblivious, I was out about 40 bucks or so, he'll be out a bottom end if all that PP wrapped around his prop. So for the rest of the day, the joke was that we should troll our VISA cards.

A pit stop at Pigeon Hollow Trailer Park to see another buddy of mine and have a quick beer (a cold pop for my DD Tony) and we were off again. We called it quits about 8:00 and hit the road. It was a beautiful day with temps in the high 20's with a nice breeze and no humidity.

We had a great time and I hope to get out again sometime soon.

DSC01187.jpg

And a pic of the release:

DSC01188-1.jpg

Guest Trophymuskie

WTG on your new personal best, those Kawarthas fish over 40 fight real good too.

Now I hope that idiot loses a lower unit, it might make him realize that he's not the only one the water. How can people be so dumb as to not see that you are trolling? I did have an idiot drive over my line once when we were casting ( well actually I was on the phone but my clients were casting and all 3 of us were standing facing that side of the boat ), the idiot didn't even want to stop.

We even have fishermen cut between us and the structures we are fishing all the time, I hope a 10 inch bait landing withing feet of them will have them realize of their wrong doing. I guess us muskie fisherman are fishing to big of spots and cast to far for them to realize they are in our fishing spot. But then again why come between us and the land some 100 feet away instead of the 5,000 acres behind us?

Maybe muskie fishermen should carry a big sign marked " Stay at least 100 feet away and do nut cut between us and land " LOL

Lew, you're kidding right?? Oh no, I was a good little boy and I listened to all the speakers and picked the brains of a lot of the exhibitors as well. The Odessey was great and I look forward to it next year. Now if I can only get out a bit more often.