Fish Scent

goby

Guest Johnny Bass

Well I was fishing some really tough water and the fish wouldn't bite the non scented plastics. I put some scent on it, the fish came and actually took a sniff and left. So it did catch his/her eye, or nose.lol

It was Berkley bass attractant, but I would definately go with the Yum. I like Yum products.

If I use commercial crap, I use Megastrike. I like how it stays on the bait for a long time, and it seems to work well.

Often though, I make my own. The oil based stuff floats to the surface too quickly for my liking. I boil garlic salt in water, and add some Kool-Aid to the mix. Strawberry garlic kicks bass. The water based scent disperses better in the water column, though you need to spray it on more often.

Many, many years ago, John Powers (who I actually fished with) (for you to young to remember he wrote for the Star ) got me on ANICE OIL. man that stuff was brutal, but it worked actually well; bought it from a pharmacuitcal place. But the guys I fished with thought I "dipping" in the morning when I put my stuff in the trunk . . . LOL . . . until we got to the river or lake. :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

A long time ago there was a fishing TV program from B.C. The guy was Charlie White and he fished for salmon on an old boat. The program revolved around salmon fishing with down riggers and a video camera.

On one program, the gang tested out various scent. They used commercial scent first. Some were better than others. I cannot remember how good they were.

Then they used WD-40 and found out that it was better than the commercial scent they used.

Finally they decided to test the junk in the bilge.

Guess what? The junk from the bilge was a lot better than the other scent.

I have Berkley bottles – 1 for bass, 1 for pike/muskie, 1 for trout and maybe one for walleye. I also have a bottle with floating silver flakes in the scent.

I have never used it – I do not believe in it.

Maybe I should start using scent on my dry flies instead of a floatant. And perhaps I might discover a “better” or “best” new floatant.

:clapping::thumbsup_anim:

carp-starter

I don't know of any successful fishermen using scents unless of course they have them as a sponsor. Most of our common sportfish are sight feeders. The others such as carp and catfish have olfaction receptors...scents will affect them.