Maiden voyage of our new (used) canoe.

ccmtcanada

Last week I went fishing with Basskicker, and we got into some nice fish. While we were chatting, I mentioned that Bly and I were in the market for a canoe...maybe next spring so we can fish some of the marshes and inlets in our area. He then said "Hey...I have a canoe I bought two years ago....and I've never taken it out...why dont you guys take it and use it until you get all set up". I was AMAZED at the offer! I told him it may be a few years before we get a true fishing boat and he said no problem...he may want to borrow it a few times, but someone may as well use it.

Bly had made some last minute arrangements for babysitting because we were hoping to make it out to the swill tonight, but I made arrangements with Basskicker to go and pick the canoe up. We'd have never have made it to the swill in time so I went to Canadian Tire for a canoe car top carrying kit, and also got a few lifejackets, some marine rope, and some boat lighting. Bly made a home made bailer out of an old bleach bottle. Bly got home from dropping our litle one off and well....the canoe was already on top of the car...all we had to do was put our fishing gear in and we'd be set.....hmmm...should we go out?? It was 35C with the humidity, but since it was only going to get hotter as the week went on, we decided to sweat it out tonite!!!

We went to a local spot where we have shore fished before, but never managed to catch anything. We had heard that pike and bass like to hang out there, so we decided to try it out. It was about a 300 yard walk from where we parked to where the water was, so we put everythng in the boat and carried it down to the shore line.

Neither of us had canoed since high school, so we were hoping it would all come back to us. After a shaky first 10 or so minutes, things went very smoothly. Here are some pics of us NOT standing on shore....LOL.

carolerow.jpg

carolefishing.jpg

The action was pretty slow, but I saw some overhanging trees in the distance and we slowly made our way over to it. The waters were pretty warm and very muddy, so I put a chartreuse spinner bait on and cast it right under that tree. Wouldn't you know it, I get a nice hit and landed this bass...our FIRST fish in the new boat.

cliffbas.jpg

I had forgotten how much fun it can be to canoe, so I decided to practise my J stroke and a few others I learned way back when and was pretty surprised how quickly it all came back to me. Bly pretty much casted and retrieved to weeds and even trolled as I paddled around. Here's a goofy shot of me as the sun was setting.....LOL

cliffrowing.jpg

I had posted earlier today asking about safety equipment and operators cards etc...and Solopaddler VERY kindly offered a bracket for a trolling motor, which we were already planning on purchasing.

Thanks to two great OFNers, Basskicker and Solopaddler, Bly and I have entered a new phase of fishing. We'll still fish from shore, because it's so convenient where we are, but we now have an option that wont cost us lots of cash renting every time we want to hit the water.

Thanks a lot guys....Bly and I had a blast out there tonight!!! We're planning on taking our little one out on the long weekend too...she's pretty excited.

Here's a pic of the canoe...a nice 16 footer, which now has a nice home in our garage.

canoe.jpg

EDIT: IF YOU READ DOWN TO BASSKICKER'S REPLY, HE HAS OUTRIGHT GIVEN BLY AND I THE BOAT. WOW...WHAT A GREAT GUY!!! CANT BEGIN TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO THANK HIM FOR THIS.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Great report Cliff. Canoes are wicked fun...Till you have to heave it back on the roof of your car after a long day of fishing...I think back-pain is a genetic thing in my family. I've often wondered what would happen if I hooked a big carp in my canoe?

Looks like a great place to paddle around in.

Great report Cliff. Canoes are wicked fun...Till you have to heave it back on the roof of your car after a long day of fishing...I think back-pain is a genetic thing in my family. I've often wondered what would happen if I hooked a big carp in my canoe?

Looks like a great place to paddle around in.

Funny you should mention Carp...they were everywhere as the sun was going down. They were saying "hello" to us and scared the carp out of us the first time it happened. We didn't want to be towed around by one until we got a little more comfortable in it. We promptly moved the canoe when we saw that happening....LOL.

That is just fantastic Cliff and Bly. Being on the water instead of land makes a huge difference.

Way to go Basskicker for your generosity :thumbsup_anim: What a random act of kindness we need more of in this world.

Joey

Nice report. You have many more adventures on the canoe. I would like to read you report on how you get towed around by a monstrous fish. :lol:

I am more paranoid in car toping my canoe. I use a ratchet tie downs and cam buckle tie downs. Did you canoe wobble much?

Would also like to hear how the trolling motor works out for you. I thinking of getting one myself.

Enjoy the water on the canoe.

When I got my first boat I was on the water every chance I could get. Now I am on my third and nicest boat yet and I love it. Being on the water is the one place where I am more patient and relaxed than any one I know. Back on shore its another story lol. I tried canoing but I just did not feel comfortable, maybe thats because I am 215lbs and my buddy I was with was about 275. Congrats on getting that and a really nice gesture from a fellow member.

As always I am looking forward to your reports. This weekend I am finally getting back out after almost a month of not being out much at all. We are heading to Long Sault for the weekend. I hope we can find some fish.

Take care

Don

Glad to hear and see that you both are and will be enjoying many more adventures on the water. The perfect fishing couple in a perfect canoe on perfectly calm water...so I took another look and read and noticed something not so perfect. Carole is not wearing her life jacket. lol

Cheers and here's hoping that one day we will cross paths. Looking forward to your reports - be safe.

Nancy

It's great to finally get on the water, eh! The generosity of the board and individual member never ceases to amaze me. Great report, thanks for sharing, and enjoy your bounty.

John

Well Cliff...that certainly didn't take long.....couldn't even wait 1 day eh?......2 hours later and your catching fish. I'm really glad that you guys had a great time. I have to admit you two look perfect in the canoe, except for Carole NOT wearing a life jacket.

P.S.- After seeing you two enjoying yourself so much, and knowing how hard you guys work to catch fish and enjoy the great outdoors......you can have HAVE the canoe for ever...it's yours for LIFE. Enjoy and be safe :thumbsup_anim:

Jason

Glad to hear and see that you both are and will be enjoying many more adventures on the water. The perfect fishing couple in a perfect canoe on perfectly calm water...so I took another look and read and noticed something not so perfect. Carole is not wearing her life jacket. lol

Cheers and here's hoping that one day we will cross paths. Looking forward to your reports - be safe.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! I knew I was going to get it over the life jacket :blush: Just so I do not look completely irresponsible.....

If we had tipped the canoe, the water was shallow enough that I would only need to stand up.

Thank you also for sharing your and Ken's canoe outing......I kept reminding myself all evening to keep one bum cheek firmly planted lol Sooner or later, I am sure we will cross paths :)

Edited by bly

Great report!!

What a great offer by a couple of OFC'ers!

I can't imagine the fishing reports you two will share now that you have vessel to get on the water.....your shore reports were enough to make most blush!!!

dk

Well Cliff...that certainly didn't take long.....couldn't even wait 1 day eh?......2 hours later and your catching fish. I'm really glad that you guys had a great time. I have to admit you two look perfect in the canoe, except for Carole NOT wearing a life jacket.

P.S.- After seeing you two enjoying yourself so much, and knowing how hard you guys work to catch fish and enjoy the great outdoors......you can have HAVE the canoe for ever...it's yours for LIFE. Enjoy and be safe :thumbsup_anim:

Jason

Jason,

I am speechless......Thank you just does not seem to cover it...I do promise to wear my life jacket :)

Congrats...Cliff and Carole...and good on you Jason and Solopaddler...

Last Thursday while checking out the carp situation over at Carp point (nadda) a couple came by in a trolling motor powered canoe...neat set-up they had...I couldn't see how the motor was attached but it was off to one side near the back and I was surprise at the speed it obtained...

Many happy days out on the water...

Btw...CPH and I were at the point yesterday and although we caught nuttin' we did see a couple of jumpers...encouraging sign...if it was the same one each time he is going to be well fed from the amount of corn we chummed with...