Maiden voyage of our new (used) canoe.

ccmtcanada

Nice report. You have many more adventures on the canoe. I would like to read you report on how you get towed around by a monstrous fish. :lol:

I am more paranoid in car toping my canoe. I use a ratchet tie downs and cam buckle tie downs. Did you canoe wobble much?

Would also like to hear how the trolling motor works out for you. I thinking of getting one myself.

Enjoy the water on the canoe.

I'm going to get better tie downs as well...I just used poly rope. I managed to get it pretty tight and it didn't move around too much at all. In the water, it was a bit tippy, but I've been looking online at some canoe stabilizers and saw you can actually make them pretty inexpensively. The cheapest I saw online was around $200...for a few styrofoam blocks and a 1x3 piece of wood! We may not use it to fish, but wanted it for when we took the kids out.

I'll let you know how the trolling motor works....

Wow Jason!!! I cant believe it! I know you said you dont use it, but it's still an amazing gesture. Thank you very much! Bly and I will use it for sure...and the kids both pretty excited about it too. This community is amazing...no two ways about it.....

I'm going to get better tie downs as well...I just used poly rope.

the poly rope is just fine and in my opinion a better option since you always need rope, this way it can have a dual purpose. straps, not so much. google/learn the trucker's hitch knot and you will be able to secure your canoe atop your vehicle as tight as you want quickly and easily. a good test to see if it's tight enough; if you move the vehicle when you try to move the canoe atop the roof it's good and not going anywhere. i've car topped canoes many many times across long distances. tie the rope to the two bumper support each front and rear of the car and for extra security, run a ratcheting strap across the middle of the canoe, through the vehicle (rear doors if 4 door). to eliminate the strap from humming at speed, twist it. ;)

Edited by Raf

Oh Oh, I can see it now. You guys are seriously hooked. Couple years from now it will be a 20 footer and we will never get anymore reports. You will be too busy fishing to post. :whistling:

Congrats on the canoe and the generosity of Basskicker and Solopaddler. :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats to both of you... I so look forward to the midnight reports now... on the water during the day, fishing from shore at night... looks like it is turning out to be an awesome summer for you!

Jason, wow just doesn't say enough, how very generous of you... way to go!!

This truly is a community ...

Cheers and happy fishing guys... can't wait to enjoy your adventures through your reports!

JEn

P.S.- After seeing you two enjoying yourself so much, and knowing how hard you guys work to catch fish and enjoy the great outdoors......you can have HAVE the canoe for ever...it's yours for LIFE. Enjoy and be safe :thumbsup_anim:

Jason

Jason - how remarkable is that! What a kind generous heart you have. May God Bless You.

Congrats to you both looking forward to more reports.Its a nice addition when you go camping it helps you get closer to the wildlife too.

Cliff pic up 2 rachet straps at CDN tire throw the straps over the canoe pass one strap threw the open front doors of your CRV tighten the straps on the inside next open the back doors and to the same through the back doors.Be sure to put a piece of sponge between any strap and the paint from your suv to prevent stratching and rub marks.Continue to tie the front and back with rope beleive me it will not move.Enjoy the new ride.

MTP :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

WOW!!!!!! :clapping::clapping: you guys really are lucky,and congrats on the first trip,and yes the emebers here are the best,and the most generous i have ever seen.....we are all the best in the entire fishing community in the world,there really is no doubt about it.....cheers everyone :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: