Jack Lake Report

mepps

My parents spent last weekend at Jack Lake, and my step dad got to do a little fishing. I gave him several spinner baits to use, but he didnt have any heavy gear, and stuck to worms at leeches catching several nice bass off the dock infront of the cottage.

johnlargemouth.jpg

It has been a couple years since I have been to Jack lake. It was the Second Kawartha Lake I ever fished (behind Scugog) and we have been makign trips up to our friends cottage since the mid 90s. I caught my first musky on Jack lake, and several more follow each time. Our family friend Tom (the cottage owner) taught me alot about fishing when I was young, but we havent fished together in several years.

Gillian and I are moving out east to Nova Scotia in at the end of teh week, and had one last chance to get away and enjoy the beauty of Ontario. We both decided there was no where else we would rather be then Jack Lake, so we called up Tom to set up one last fishign trip. No better place to end our stay here in Ontario, by fishing the lake I have fished more then any other, and spend time fishign with the only person I knw who uses a Mepps Black Fury as much as I do.

We got in late Thursday (my birthday!) after a LONG drive. We fished a little off the dock before the mosquitos chased us into the cottage. Fishing was pretty tough after heavy rain stroms passed through later that night (and ealier that day) I managed a few decent bass, and after several hours of tossign spinnerbaits, finally found a Jack Lake musky.

Fished out of a peddle boat most of the trip!

jacklakesmallie.jpg

jacklakelargmouth02.jpg

jacklakelargmouth03.jpg

Caught the biggest bass of teh trip right under the dock in about 1 foot of water...

jacklakelargmouth01.jpg

Sorry team 5 - I had my ofncommunity.com paper with me, but it blew into the water as I set up for this photo!

jacklakemusky.jpg

My first and last musky of 2007 :(

Tom wasnt able to join us until Sunday, but we spent most of the day fishing with minnows and leeches (well he did, I used spinner baits) but fish were scare, awe each caught a few bass and perch.

All in all, a great way to spend the weekend.

Edited by mepps

Man you guys sure have lived in a lot of places! Nova Scotia now eh? Well congrat's, that's a beautiful place to live and raise a child!

Nice report as well and out of a paddleboat to boot. Just goes to show you a person doesn't need a $30,000 dollar boat to catch fish, you mostly need skill.

Thanks guys, we are pretty ecited about the move - maybe I can get into some of those blue sharks Aaron was catching!

Still looking for an IT job, but im sure something will turn up.

Edited by mepps

Clive, you lucky, lucky dog! Blue Shark fishing galore man! I really like Nova Scotia, it is a beautiful province. I have been twice in the last 2 years. No traffic and clean air. Fresh snow crab and lobster, mmm.

Although the smallmouth and brook trout in the inland lakes are generally small, you have great muskie fshing close by in NB St.John River. Striped bass fishing can be great, and Nova Scotia also has sea run brown trout and Atlantic salmon that are making a comeback. The ocean is what really fascinates me. Mako sharks can be caught as well on occasion while shark fishing.

Nova Scotia is a very interesting province, and I wish you well in your new home. Congrats on the move!

Aaron

What a great report mepps! The great thing about the internet though is that just because you move, it doesn't mean we wont see you around here. Great pics in this report...congrats on the first and last muskie of the season.

Good luck with the move...hope to see a report or two once you're set up on the east coast.

Nice work Clive! And a happy belated.

Where are you moving out east? i lived in Halifax for four years through university. Great city, amazing people. there's no hospitality like east coast hospitality! Enjoy it, i'd move back there myself if I could get work!

Cheers,

-Graeme

Hey "Mepps" what's that lure you were using to catch those smallies??? LOL

Nice report thanks.

Good luck in Nova Scotia. One of my wife's cousin lives in Dartmouth, and I fished there a few time for Salmon/Trout/American Shad/Smallies/Grass Pickerel...and even cast for Mackerel.

All the best, and good fishing.

Happy Birthday Clive and good luck in Nova Scotia. Stay away from dat der Newfie Screech tho :lol:

All the best to you and Gillian, and we'd like some full reports from out there okay :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Joey