What's your favourite type of lure?

Favourite type of lure  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite type of lure?

• Spinners
    • Spinnerbaits/buzzbaits
    • Topwater
    • Crankbaits
    • Jerkbaits
    • Jigs (inc. tubes)
    • Soft Plastics
    • Spoons
    • Flies

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what everybody's favourite type of lure is?

I know it will depend on the fish you target most but I was just curious as to what people's favourite is - the one you enjoy casting, the one you catch the most fish with, the one you catch the biggest fish with or is your go-to lure type.

I know that since I have started fishing with lures here in Canada I have built up a fine collection of lures but probably haven't used all of them because undoubtedly I have my preferred or favourite type. Mine would have to be Spinners (by Mepps) because you can catch such a wide variety of fish with them, and also jerkbaits (like Rapala's Xrap) and crankbaits because of their life-like looks and action.

What's yours? Pick your top one not top three! (Sorry for the change from the earlier poll question - just want to see if there is a clearer favourite!)

Edited by OO7

So far it seems to be spinner baits and soft plastics that people prefer but its all a bit close.

With hindsight, perhaps I should have limited the poll to just your favourite and not your top three to get a clearer picture! I just thought it would be too difficult to pick one favourite. my mistake.

I'm not sure if I can change the poll so that people can just vote for one only? Mods - can anyone help on that front? All I seem to be able to change is the title of the post.

Cheers

You may remember the little mepps spinners, they were the dogs, still are in my eyes. I am talking about the style used in UK during the mid 70s to 80s size 12 trebble hook only about 1 1/2" long at the time the build quality was way ahead of it's time. None of the other manufacturers were any where near then then.

I used to catch perch and pike on them, last time I was in the tackle shop 6 months ago I saw the exact same or very close allowing for memory loss, in fact I swear they haven't changed, get that.

Uncle Buck - I wouldn't include boilies as a lure - it's a real bait (just like minnows, corn, worms, bread etc.) not an imitation of something else - which effectively is what a lure is...

English - You're right the basic Mepps spinners are still the same as they used to be - and still catch lots of fish! Very popular over here.

Edited by OO7

You may remember the little mepps spinners, they were the dogs, still are in my eyes. I am talking about the style used in UK during the mid 70s to 80s size 12 trebble hook only about 1 1/2" long at the time the build quality was way ahead of it's time. None of the other manufacturers were any where near then then.

I used to catch perch and pike on them, last time I was in the tackle shop 6 months ago I saw the exact same or very close allowing for memory loss, in fact I swear they haven't changed, get that.

Hey Clive, Do you remember Quill Minnows? Tiny Spoon with clear body minnow and tiny treble. Used to catch pretty much everything in the rivers over there on that, (short of maggots, chrysalis, redworms and brandlings).

WALLEYE.........wormharness

SALMON..........spoons & flies & twinkie rigs-meat rigs

BASS..............big-o

MUSKIES..........i never fish for them but i catch alot of them while im fishing for walleyes[wormharness

TROUT......... spinners

Hey Clive, Do you remember Quill Minnows? Tiny Spoon with clear body minnow and tiny treble. Used to catch pretty much everything in the rivers over there on that, (short of maggots, chrysalis, redworms and brandlings).

Hi John, can't say as I remember them I lived in a little village and the local sweet shop was the tackle shop so there wasn't much choice really, they may have been very good but we didn't get to use them.

Thanks for the interest, great topics on here and no whining like a lot of english fishing forums, dont want that no good for anyone.

Regards Clive

sometimes i will use spinners verry rare for me though,usually i like to use a jig head and a worm or even a bobber and a worm if fishing for perch my dad caught a smallie on that rig up last year keepin it simple is the way to go for me i have many complex lures in my box but don't have the patients to use em