Tachometer for Boat

LeXXington

Tachometer is it a must have?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Tachometer for your boat

• Get one its worth its weight in gold
    • Save your money for fishing stuff
    • Whats a Tachometer?

How important is it for you to know if you are getting the most out of your 25hp merc?

Instead with the money, I say buy yourself a batch of quality hooks to replace the ones on your lures with (Gamakatsu are great!)

A quality hook sharpener (Look up EZE-LAP)

And a case of beer.

I like tachs. If you know the proper RPM range for your engine you know you have the proper propeller for it. And if your prop hub starts to slip or if your prop is damaged you instantly know by the RPM change.

for a 25 HP not overly useful. You could probably get better use out of a compression gauge to measure cylinder performance if your motor is getting long in the tooth.

Before reading the post I voted Save your money for fishing stuff. Then when I seen it was for a 25 hp motor,I had to agree with fang.

Edited by misfish

I voted in favour of getting one before I read your post. The odds are that with a 25HP, you are driving full out most of the time.

In my case, I have a 75HP and drive by the RPM's for fuel economy. I drive between 3200 and 3400 RPM, which gives me a speed of 24 to 28 MPH.

you sure don't need one

it is nice to see that your motor isn't running over the red line and to know you have the right prop

so when you are first setting up a new motor it does help

but once you know the top rpms are under the motors max rpm, you really never need to look again

get the tiny tach it helps you return to the speed you are trolling at. It logs the hours you have run the motor for maintenance. It will let you know when your motor is not running at the correct rpms at WOT. I have been running one on all of my boats since 96 and been very happy. The unit has only one wire that you wrap around the plug wire and the other side goes to a ground. The tini tach has its own battery inside and my oldest one that I still own is 5 years and still going.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Art