Thoughts on 1990s Boat

I'm about to put an offer on this. The boat I was about to buy turned out to have issues that I was not interested in dealing with.  This is an early to mid-90s legend Crestliner. Were these decent boats? I like the layout.  17' length.  Seller says everything is in good working order. Thoughts?

IMG_6687.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

Problem is we don’t see to many of that exact boat around to know what the problems are. check for crack's, bad rivets, poor design of the hull, soft floor.  Some boats just weren’t designed or built well and they don’t last.  
I’d buy it if it checks out.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He will let me do a compression test.  But he said it's good.  Claims floor is solid as is motor.  CLAIMS! it's a bit of a drive.  But there's not much out there and this is what I am looking for.  Price is good based out what I've seen. Another guy wants a bit more for a slightly smaller boat with a 60hp Evinrude and I've seen this one and it's well taken care of. Motor runs nice.  But I prefer the layout of this one. More open which is better for fishing 

given that OMC motors are no longer made I am worried about parts in the future. Someone said they'd worry about the "black merc"  - is there something up with that vintage? 

Edited by siwash

22 minutes ago, Terry said:

Be careful with evinrude 

I had a 2001 and couldn’t get some parts for it 

Yeah, a marine mechanic is pushing me toward Mercs - lots of parts, big service dealer network if you're ever stuck on the water or elsewhere.  It appears to be an early 90s but getting limited info because I'm messaging with the son as dad was unable to talk today. Otherwise, he answered plenty of questions.. I'll be speaking directly with the owner in the next day or two

1 hour ago, siwash said:

You approve!?! 😁

all i can tell you is this,

transom cracks crappy wood pull always in the corners, look for a water line in the bilge means its holding water in the winter or taking water in season, look at the bottom of the motors check the skeg and lower unit for cracks or malformed, take the plug out of the bottom of both motors check the oil if its milky do this after you have had it running and put power to the gear box,  bad seals and improper winterization , a compression test is good but you need a baseline number you can run this pretty quick with a cell phone and a serial number, enquire about the current owners winterization process. pull a plug two strokes are pretty reliable if looked after, pull the cowls off the motors and look for excessive hydrocarbon residue on the motor and low spots. and last but no least check every single electrical connection make sure it all works and get a set of bunny ears and run both motors not just for 5 minutes leave it running for at least 15 cycle the gearbox and increase the rpms. dont go in all excited if they see you do all this it gives you wiggle room on price play poker!

nothing worse then separating from good money and nothing better then a good day in a reliable boat!!!!!!!

Happy Fishing

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Terry said:

Be careful with evinrude 

I had a 2001 and couldn’t get some parts for it 

I had my auto tilt and trim fail on an 08 ETEC 75...... I could have bought another motor for the price they wanted for a new one. Luckily found a salvage but still very expensive. I wouldn't buy an Evinrude or Johnson now that they are out of the game.

As for that boat.... keep looking unless you're getting a screaming deal. It's seen some things. Like the trailer though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on a budget.. we have renos coming, kids education, cars and mortgage!  I can get this for $5000.  just want a decent boat to get me safely on the water in decent comfort.  He says it doesn't leak, for what that worth.  When buying something that's 30 years old, I guess you got to expect some fixes will be required to keep it on the water. Hopefully not too bad. My last boat (16' tinner/tiller with benches) was a good boat.  This will be a step up for me.  When I was a teen/20s  the old man (rest his soul) bought a brand new 19' Starcraft Superfisherman.. but he had a lot of cash in those days!  Good times! 

Posted (edited)

thanks for the advice, Bill.  I spoke to him earlier and already decided to pass. 

As for prices, they are pretty insane these days.. Guys are listing 14' tinners/tillers for $4000...  you don't get much for $5000.. I'm taking my time.  There's a decent one on Hamilton but the guy's one cranky bugger.. he wants $5800! But boat is clean and well taken care of. His trailer alone is worth $1000 or more.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.40.24 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.40.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-30 at 3.38.24 AM.png

Edited by siwash

I have owned a 1989 Rangerboat with the original Johnson 150 motor since 1999. The boat was purchased from a friend who took excellent care keeping it waxed and serviced like a pro. Even so, it has had, the motor rebuilt, the flooring and carpet replaced, misc. electrical upgrades and basic maintenance. With that said spring is not the correct time to buy a boat. I would spend the money to have the boat checked over professionally there is nothing worse than finding out the motor is at the end of it's life on an old boat and needs a $12,000.00 motor. Same with any of the other major areas for rot and electrical issues. While you may have to survey 2 or 3 boats it will be the best money you can spend. Go slow and remember the fall is the best time to buy a boat it will be cheaper and you will have all winter to putter and fix it just the way you want. 

Happy hunting 

Art

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Siwash,

What made you change your mind about this boat after you spoke to the seller? Those old 2stroke Mercs are pretty bullet proof if the compression checks out… the boat is in great shape considering the year… although I can’t say I’ve ever seen that model around before.

Edited by DD88

5 hours ago, BillM said:

I wouldn't spend 5k on that.   Absolutely no way.  Not with that motor.

You seem to dislike the Mercs, at least those early 90s.  What sed motor would you recommend?  

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DD88 said:

Hey Siwash,

What made you change your mind about this boat after you spoke to the seller? Those old 2stroke Mercs are pretty bullet proof if the compression checks out… the boat is in great shape considering the year… although I can’t say I’ve ever seen that model around before.

He's really far for one thing.. sent me other pics and was less impressed. Also wasn't crazy about the communication. I felt hesitant.  Owned it only since 2022.  I am always leary of that. Maybe for a lower price I'd go for it..  billM seems to think they are garbage motors!

@ Aplumma, I agree about timing But there is more supply generally.. I'd like to fish this season.  I was looking in the winter but no one wants to test them out in the winter for obvious reasons.  There's not many solid boats out there under $7500.. if there are they are scooped up before you can get them. 

Edited by siwash

Some of the other pics... I don't like these gaps.. they indicate a bad flooring job to me.. I don't know if I am being picky for a boat around $5000.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.26.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.26.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 8.26.33 PM.png

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DD88 said:

Hey Siwash,

your first post here! are you the seller or a friend?! 🤣

Edited by siwash
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

I had my auto tilt and trim fail on an 08 ETEC 75...... I could have bought another motor for the price they wanted for a new one. Luckily found a salvage but still very expensive. I wouldn't buy an Evinrude or Johnson now that they are out of the game.

As for that boat.... keep looking unless you're getting a screaming deal. It's seen some things. Like the trailer though.

And this is what makes me thing twice about the newer modern 4 stroke motors... the 2 stokes of the past are just so much simpler.. yeah, not ass sexy or efficient.  But I've only ever owned a 2 stroke and they were mostly always easy and relatively cheap to maintain.  

Hey Siwash,

I actually came across the ad myself and thought it was a really good deal, and then came across this forum when I tried to look up the boat model for more specs and assumed you had made an offer and I didn’t bother because it’s a bit of a distance for me as well. The following day you wrote that you weren’t going to take it so I reached out to the guy and it’s still available but I wanted to know why you weren’t grabbing it because, well duh lol.

There’s a decent chance I go look at it myself tomorrow. If the compression checks out, my only concern at that point would be resale I think, but at that price, it’s hard not to get your money back later even on an old motor if it’s a 60hp with good compression I would think. It’s also only 2 hours from my location, and not a day’s drive!

I’ll keep you posted on whether I get screwed.

go for it.. I don't know if I want to drive 4.5 hours (9 round trip).. down here boats are pricey.  Someone above said they wouldn't touch it for $5000.... i dont think he knows the market.. 12' tinners are going for $3000!  It's stupid.. I guess everyone is getting gouged in this high inflation world so they want to overprice their old toys too..