Air fryer

About the only gadget I don't own but I'm thinking about getting one. Who has one? Is it worth the money? If you were buying a new one; what size would you get and what features would you be looking for. Any suggestions on brands (or) any other suggestions? 

5 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

About the only gadget I don't own but I'm thinking about getting one. Who has one? Is it worth the money? If you were buying a new one; what size would you get and what features would you be looking for. Any suggestions on brands (or) any other suggestions? 

MB picked up one at a Pampered Chef Party a couple of years ago and I like it not only for french fries but it makes great chicken wings ! ... Only problem I have is digging it out of a corner on the kitchen counter so we don't use it all the time...great for reheating fish and chips !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just got a Ninja and did a roast beef last night and it turned out excellent. We went with the dual zone that has a large cooking section or can divided into 2 sections to cook 2 different items at once. So far we're really happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m still in the bush on these 

We have a regular stove a toaster oven and an induction heater incase the power goes out or for overflow cooking and an insta pot that I really like personally I don’t use the toaster oven I really do dislike them and I have no love lost for a microwave  

we have been told to pick an air fryer 

what ever one we want 

suggestions ????

peter

We have one (Instant Vortex)...works just fine, but frankly I'm just not a fan of air fryers. Yes, they are quick and convenient....and perhaps healthier because you are using less oil for some things (but that's up for debate if you properly deep fry, drain and blot). It's just that IMO it's a trade-off of convenience for quality. Personally, I don't think you get the same taste, texture and sear/crispiness of food as with cooking with traditional methods.

I prefer my French fries double deep fried in beef tallow.

I prefer my chicken wings deep fried in peanut oil.

I prefer my roast beef cooked in a ceramic charcoal oven (Big Green Egg), or if weather doesn't permit then a regular convection oven.

I prefer steak cooked over real charcoal, or at the very least a cast iron pan.

It's not like I eat these foods every day, so the health benefits of an air fryer are negligible...and for me not worth the convenience factor either. So for now, in my house the air fryer sits at the back of cupboard gathering dust.

Edited by CrowMan

11 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

So for now, in my house the air fryer sits at the back of cupboard gathering dust.

I'm sure if you go to any house there is probably a pile of cupboard queen appliances that have been used once or twice never to see daylight again.  I like my cast iron fry pans and stainless pots.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. After reading these comments and probably a 100 on line reviews I decided I didn't need to spend the money on another gadget to do what I already do well. I have a kick ass deep fryer for doing fries and wings and I make do pretty good with all the other utensils I already have. Some of my decision was based on not being able to do wet batters in an air fryer, I make beer or tempura battered fish just about every week. I have a 7 tray dehydrator, so that's another feature the air fryer wouldn get used for, steaks are on the grill or in cast iron pan and roasts in the oven. 

• Like 2

Cliff, I got us (Mrs and I) a T-Fal 4.2 L one for many reasons.  Veg like broccoli, bacon, chicken you name it.  We use it one to two times a week.  Easy to clean too the one we got.  If I want fries, I say nuts to the work and go to the chip truck just down the raod, lol.  

If you don't see value in it, don't waste the money and space.  However I am very happy with the purchase and put the toaster oven on a shelf in the basement since getting it...  

• Like 1