Is running a trolling motor backwards to slow boat for trolling "real"?

Was watching a youtube fishing show and a tip was given to slow down bigger engines to 2mph was to run the bow mount trolling motor backwards?

I guess this would work especially with a rudder extension... So just point the tm 180 degrees from your target destination?

Left and Right adjustments from gps would be wrong though making it useless to steer?

Just doesn't sound right although a rudder extension sounds ok. I see youtube guys strapping plastic cutting boards on the tm shafts... hmmm.

rudder2.jpg

I'm 100% with you Fisherman.

The "tip" was from a Canadian fishing show, pretty sure it was a well known guy.

As soon as I heard it I thought "Ya, that would work", but then the logic felt screwy.

I have a Mercury 25hp that needs a trolling plate to get down to 2-2.8 no matter the trim.

1 hour ago, TJQ said:

Lol..   alot to manage..  

Yup, I'm just a simple guy and a simple fisherman. The less I have to think about the more fish I catch..🙂

Yes it will work if that’s what you have to work with.  On my tinner, I just toss a pail on a rope over the side at the bow of the boat to slow me down.  Pail works good for putting my stringer of fish in between spots as well because tinner doesn’t have a livewell.

15 hours ago, dave524 said:

If you need to go that slow, why would you not kill the big motor and troll with the "trolling motor" , such a logical  idea

Precision trolling is an art.  Sometimes the trolling motor is the best option, sometimes bags, sometimes a bucket. Sometimes your reverse gear.  On the Great Lakes usually the best option is the main guided by the TM.  Sustained speed for multiple hours at 2mph or over is best achieved with the main or kicker.  Anything under that is TM country.  Depends what and where you are fishing, also depends on wind and wave conditions.  I troll almost exclusively on my bow mount on Nippissing for pickerel, 90 percent of my fish are caught under 1.5mph.  On Erie I use the main and the bowmount. as autopilot and to fine tune speed.  90 percent of my Erie fish are caught at 2.7-3.2mph.  On Nipp, I’m working bottom, on Erie mainly suspended.  
OP, it seems you’ve got a bigger boat now.  I’d definitely budget for a kicker on an 18.  You’ll find a world of difference if your intent is to spend a lot of time trolling.  When I stepped down to a big 16 last year, first thing I did was slap a 6hp kicker on it as the vast majority of my fishing is trolling.  Worth every penny!

Edited by porkpie

Took me a while but I get it now. Big motor running to pull riggers and electric on front running reverse to slow you down. I would just pull a sock rather than mess with that and wear stuff out

On 1/8/2024 at 11:00 AM, porkpie said:

Precision trolling is an art.  Sometimes the trolling motor is the best option, sometimes bags, sometimes a bucket. Sometimes your reverse gear.  On the Great Lakes usually the best option is the main guided by the TM.  Sustained speed for multiple hours at 2mph or over is best achieved with the main or kicker.  Anything under that is TM country.  Depends what and where you are fishing, also depends on wind and wave conditions.  I troll almost exclusively on my bow mount on Nippissing for pickerel, 90 percent of my fish are caught under 1.5mph.  On Erie I use the main and the bowmount. as autopilot and to fine tune speed.  90 percent of my Erie fish are caught at 2.7-3.2mph.  On Nipp, I’m working bottom, on Erie mainly suspended.  
OP, it seems you’ve got a bigger boat now.  I’d definitely budget for a kicker on an 18.  You’ll find a world of difference if your intent is to spend a lot of time trolling.  When I stepped down to a big 16 last year, first thing I did was slap a 6hp kicker on it as the vast majority of my fishing is trolling.  Worth every penny!

got that T shirt on precision trolling. Back in '82 I bought a 18 foot centre console , had a OMC 90 V4 and a 9.9 hung on a bracket with an EZ Steer bracket to tie them together. Next to the paper graph I had a Pelican sailboat knotmeter and a paddle wheel on the stern for speed control, that was a hot setup back in those days. 

Edited by dave524