top 5 musky lures?!

siwash

1 hour ago, siwash said:

Bloody expensive!  I've already dropped over $250 on gear the past 3 days. 

You've only just begun LOL

I think I paid $50 for my Knipex but that was a long time ago but well worth the price IMO. Like anything else, if you buy cheap you'll pay for it in the long run. CTC has some nice long needle nose pliers about 12" or so which make it nice if you need to dig deep down a throat to get at a hook.

• Thanks 1

I have the Knipex as well.  They’ll cut right through the hooks I need to get out quickly.  I also tied a piece of rope to the handle, just in case I lose my grip while cutting the hooks with the fish still in the net.  A quick thrash or slip, I won’t lose them to the bottom of the River or lake.

it’s certainly not a cheap hobby. You’ll spend some $$$$ to be properly equipped to chase and handle the big girls.  After the first one, you’ll be hooked.  

Edited by Rich Clemens
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, siwash said:

So any ideas how much 65 lbs power pro is required for this Abu 6000?

image.jpeg

This is first thing that came up on Google...330 yds of 30lb braid, so 200 yds or so of 65 lb. Muskies don't make long sustained runs, so it's not like you need a lot of capacity....you're probably better to load up with 80lb.

I'm not sure how long that reel will last...throwing big Musky baits takes it toll on your reel (and your shoulder !). When you're ready to move up, take a look at a Tranx or a Lexa.

https://hottackle.com.au/product/abu-garcia-ambassadeur-reel-classic-red-6000/

Edited by CrowMan

12 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

This is first thing that came up on Google...330 yds of 30lb braid, so 200 yds of 65 lb. Muskies don't make long sustained runs, so it's not like you need a lot of capacity....you're probably better to load up with 80lb.

I'm not sure how long that reel will last...throwing big Musky baits takes it toll on your reel (and your shoulder !). When you're ready to move up, take a look at a Tranx or a Lexa.

https://hottackle.com.au/product/abu-garcia-ambassadeur-reel-classic-red-6000/

Thanks.. just figured I had this reel on the shelf already.. I'm thinking it'll be okay for trolling for now?  I don't know how these things cast.. I just started using a baitcaster last year (they are great!) for bass/walleye/pike... but most lures are under an ounce so can't imagine what it'll be like once I tie on those huge baits! 

I think I'll wrap some electrical tape a few times around the reel base before I spool it... 

6 hours ago, CrowMan said:

Btw, those Crappy Tire special Red Wolf cutters are useless...

So is anything in the Power Fist economy brand from Princess Auto, it doesn't come much cheaper than that. Even for general household chores I'd never buy anything of that brand.

siwash, forget musky...i havent fished musky in over 3 years (been too busy tournament fishing) I will tell you though, i have used my knipex handhelds 3 times 😬 to get hooks out of me and someone else. As far as I am concerned, I dont run a boat without them in it. Its almost as neccesary as any safety equipment as far as I am concerned. 

You fish enough, its not a matter of if, but when you will get poked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

siwash, forget musky...i havent fished musky in over 3 years (been too busy tournament fishing) I will tell you though, i have used my knipex handhelds 3 times 😬 to get hooks out of me and someone else. As far as I am concerned, I dont run a boat without them in it. Its almost as neccesary as any safety equipment as far as I am concerned. 

You fish enough, its not a matter of if, but when you will get poked.

Wait, weren't you going on about how great the musky fishing is on Pigeon!?!  🤔 😁

7 hours ago, siwash said:

Wait, weren't you going on about how great the musky fishing is on Pigeon!?!  🤔 😁

Don’t worry, things have not changed in the last three years, I’ve still caught multiple musky bass fishing on pigeon over my time off

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Haha 1

So as I look at the Navionics, I noticed that there is some sort of underwater cable basically running along the deeper channel of the south side (from the launch northward). Should I be watching out for this? If I am trolling for instance? 

6C06C20E-F9DA-44DD-A630-092C3DB3F8D5.png

42 minutes ago, siwash said:

Just got these delivered from Peterborough tackle! Can't get over the size of these things.  Bigger than most of the fish I usually catch!! 🤣🤣

66955EFC-1F08-49C0-9064-86896F84F761.jpeg

Wait until you see how many 2lb largemouth you catch with them…

don’t worry about those cables, if you look at a map up in parry sound, if you couldn’t fish near cables there would be nowhere to fish. Those things are more so for large boats to not drop anchor right on them.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Thanks 1

Just back from a week of Kawartha Muskie hunting , no giants but fish were biting . Cold fronts made things interesting. Wish I had pics but fishing solo with the wind and waves pics would have stressed em to much.

Sound advice from all the members , Knipex .. get em , along with an assortment of quality replacement hooks . Its 100% better for the fish to just cut hooks rather then keeping them outta the water for prolonged periods . I became obsessed with them 4 years ago lol, even sold my Ranger for a 188 Tiller .

I fish all the spots you’re looking at and I’m usually solo in the late season, welcome to come out . 

• Thanks 1

Just trying to decide now if it's worth heading out - damn weather this summer has been awful.. wet and unstable.  Worst part is that the weatherman is constantly wrong.  We're supposed to believe 50 year projections of the climate when they can't get a 24 hour forecast right!!  Forecast is still calling for clouds in Lindsay until at least 3 then showers but it's raining here now and the radar is showing a large band of rain from Geo Bay to the Niagara Peninsula 

Consistent weather is what I like, that can be sun, rain, wind, whatever.  Gimme a 2 day stretch of similar weather and it's go time.   Muskie season is just heating up!!  Missed two lastnight (Well they missed me, both were at boat strikes).   Crapload of stupid pike burning blades.  At least something was bending the rod.