Jeff Gustafson has lead at the Bassmaster Classic

woodenboater

Interesting stat...

In a sport dominated by "southerners" ....guys from south of Virginia who eat grits with red-eye gravy for breakfast...Gussy is not only the first Canadian to win the Classic, but the first angler from north of the Mason-Dixon Line to win in 13 years. The last "northerner" to win the Classic was Kevin Van Dam...KVD hails from Michigan.

Edited by CrowMan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, CrowMan said:

Interesting stat...

In a sport dominated by "southerners" ....guys from south of Virginia who eat grits with red-eye gravy for breakfast...Gussy is not only the first Canadian to win the Classic, but the first angler from north of the Mason-Dixon Line to win in 13 years. The last "northerner" to win the Classic was Kevin Van Dam...KVD hails from Michigan.

Looks like they were fishing for smallies, that helps a northerner

• Like 1

Actually, most of the other competitors were pitchin' and flippin' shallow cover for Largies.

This system has four species of Bass...Smallies, Largies, Spotted, and "Meanmouth" (a Smallie/Spot cross). Gussy's strategy of fishing deep for the smaller species, but potentially more of them, paid off in the end. That's what made this tourney so interesting. 

Edited by CrowMan

Gussy’s entire game plan from the jump just like when he won in 2021, catch 15lbs a day. He got lucky he had a really good bag on day 2.

when he won in 2021 he actually was able to head to weigh in at 11am on the final day to make sure his fish all stayed alive and that he could take the 100k run back to weigh in easy.

• Like 1

A little twist on his strategy at the end...on the final afternoon when Gussy only had 2 fish in the well, he decided to switch horses and started pitchin' docks for Buckets like most of the rest of the field...not that he got anything..

"I've been 'moping' smallies for years and didn't even know it :) "

Same here...vertically jigging for suspended fish is certainly not revolutionary. In fishing, there is never really anything " new", other than the label they put on it.

I've always been a big fan of the Z-Man finnesse stuff...I even bought the hat...lol

IMG_20210903_172717.jpg.8621e0c02ca766e438b75128547490d2.jpg

Edited by CrowMan

On 3/27/2023 at 3:43 PM, AKRISONER said:

rattle trap, it’s funny you say youll never switch back, I’m literally the complete opposite, now every time I’m in my old man’s alumacraft I’m certain I’ll never go back to aluminum. The only time I feel like aluminum is better is for 2 weeks each year in the fall when it’s snowing and blowing and downright miserable. Any other time id rather be in my glasser. 

Ahhhh……..you’re a young man…….wait about 20 or 30 years…….you will understand! Lol

12 hours ago, captpierre said:

What the heck is “moping”?

Down south they call it a Damiki rig. Ive also heard Jeff call it hanging a minnow. Basically you just hang the bait under the boat above the fish you find on sonar instead of using a float. Doesn't get much more basic.
https://www.wired2fish.com/fishing-tips/how-to-fish-the-damiki-rig-beginner-to-advanced

9 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

Ahhhh……..you’re a young man…….wait about 20 or 30 years…….you will understand! Lol

Funny you mention that, but honestly In 20 years Id just drive a bit slower! Going 40mph over white caps is actually totally smooth in a bass boat while the aluminums tend to beat the heck out of you!

I find in average boating conditions, glass boats when you get them on pad are a way easier ride. You just skip along and don’t feel much of anything.

Edited by AKRISONER

there's no byline for this story so no idea if it was a wire story or what. Still a great read on Gustafson's final day etc. Guess we'll see an uptick of Loomis rods, Shimano reels and plastics this summer/spring. Any appearances at shows and talks he may give are going to be nutz. I'd drive to hear him talk about the win, and about his methods.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-kenora-fisherman-the-first-canadian-to-win-the-bassmaster-classic-in/#comments

"Guess we'll see an uptick of Loomis rods, Shimano reels"

The Loomis NRX+ rod he was fishing with is available at Peterborough Tackle for $909.99 plus hst. You can pair it with his Shimano Stella reel for $899.99 plus hst. Shockingly, they still have stock...lol

I get it that these are "halo" models that drive sales further down the product range...but personally, for that money I'd take 3 Expride/Vanford set-ups.

ps...I'm still waiting on stock for a Expride 72MLB  ☹️

Edited by CrowMan