Slow leak boat trailer tire

glen

7 hours ago, Terry said:

I know people here that drive farther to work and back every day then some Europeans drive every year 

lol 

You got that right Terry, I don't know about everyday but, I did a 3 week job in England 5 years ago and put on 2500 miles. Some folks I met said they don't put 2500 miles on their cars in a year. Having a car in Europe is a luxury not a need like e do. Then again there are countries you can drive from one side to the other in a few hours or less, like England. Nova Scotia isn't too much different. They plan for 2 days to drive 2 hours across the Province. B-I-L from Halifax flipped when I had to go pay a bill in Hamilton, a short 45 minute drive, he couldn't believe it. When he saw the line of red tail lights on the cars in bumper to bumper traffic at night on the 401 coming from Pearson he wanted to go home. It must be something for someone that has never seen TO traffic to see for the first time. He must have taken 50 pictures and texted them home by the time we went a mile.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

14 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Why? 

I always replace the rims and tires at the same time because my white rims usually have a lot of paint peeling after 6 years.. That and it's almost cheaper to buy a set of mounted tires ready to go.. 

Just get it repaired properly. Spend the 30 bucks. It's piece of mind. Doing it half arsed will end up stressing you while pulling it around because you will begin thinking about the bloody tire. Slime is meant to be a temporary fix. It is not meant to last for a couple of years. 

9 hours ago, bigbuck said:

Just get it repaired properly. Spend the 30 bucks. It's piece of mind. Doing it half arsed will end up stressing you while pulling it around because you will begin thinking about the bloody tire. Slime is meant to be a temporary fix. It is not meant to last for a couple of years. 

Actually, many people put the stuff in their tires to prevent flats from happening in the first place. I think it's good for 2 years in the tire...

12 hours ago, ch312 said:

Actually, many people put the stuff in their tires to prevent flats from happening in the first place. I think it's good for 2 years in the tire...

Yea I've seen this as well and I have had to listen to people complain, when I tell them that this tire repair has just tripled in price. Cleaning that stuff out of the tire, would easily be compared to trying to wipe baby crap off a blanket. If the tire isn't 100% clean, the proper repair of a patch will not adhere to the tire.

Dan.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:05 AM, DanD said:

Yea I've seen this as well and I have had to listen to people complain, when I tell them that this tire repair has just tripled in price. Cleaning that stuff out of the tire, would easily be compared to trying to wipe baby crap off a blanket. If the tire isn't 100% clean, the proper repair of a patch will not adhere to the tire.

Dan.

Slime = hard to clean

Tire Ject = super easy

Guys I know run the stuff in off roading truck tires and ATV's, not road vehicles. It's pointless running in road tires as the odds of a puncture are so low and adding some sealant and air on the side of the road is usually a non issue. 

Out of curiosity, why is it necessary to charge 3x the price? I have patched two slimed tires from the inside and just cleaned the slime from about 1/4 worth of the tire and the patches didn't leak for a few years before the truck was sold. Added about 5 minutes to the process.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎12 at 8:40 AM, pics said:

I always replace the rims and tires at the same time because my white rims usually have a lot of paint peeling after 6 years.. That and it's almost cheaper to buy a set of mounted tires ready to go.. 

A piece of sand paper and a can of Tremclad and you have some toonies left over to buy more tackle pics.

4 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

A piece of sand paper and a can of Tremclad and you have some toonies left over to buy more tackle pics.

I can go to the Hitchman on Grimsby mountain where premounted tires are cheaper than just buying tires and paying to have them mounted. I don't have a big fancy boat.. Just a 14 footer... My enclosed trailer will need tires in a year or so and I will go there as well.. If you have ever tried to paint those white spoked rims you would know what a pain in the arse it is to make them look decent.. 

18 hours ago, ch312 said:

Out of curiosity, why is it necessary to charge 3x the price? I have patched two slimed tires from the inside and just cleaned the slime from about 1/4 worth of the tire and the patches didn't leak for a few years before the truck was sold. Added about 5 minutes to the process.

The minute I touch that tire, to perform a repair, I am libel (sp?); if that repair fails. So every bit of that crap gets washed out, so that a proper inspection can be performed. If I'm taking on whatever job for a customer; its done to the best of my ability or we don't do it. The customer is informed of the extra cost involved and then it's their choice to allow me to continue.

Dan.

2 hours ago, DanD said:

The minute I touch that tire, to perform a repair, I am libel (sp?); if that repair fails. So every bit of that crap gets washed out, so that a proper inspection can be performed. If I'm taking on whatever job for a customer; its done to the best of my ability or we don't do it. The customer is informed of the extra cost involved and then it's their choice to allow me to continue.

Dan.

Well said and put Dan. Like you said they will come back with a LAWYER OH YA

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Dan.

True, I wasn't looking at it from that angle and it's honest to inform the customer up front. 

How often do you see this Slime or other sealants in street vehicle tires? Have you any experience with TireJect, which is a whitish color and more fluid than Slime? I've played with both a few times and Slime will/should be obsolete when TireJect starts gaining ground and taking market share. Slime and other similar products have made many people strongly dislike these sealants which makes it harder for a better product to gain ground as the stigma of tire sealants being a huge PITA is already there. 

I threw a brand new bottle of Slime in the garbage after trying Tireject. I couldn't bring myself to give that crap away.... 

15 hours ago, glen said:

the tire on the Bush buggy is holding it’s going to get a workout with all the snow.  Just filled the back tires on my car.  

Only three more tires to do.  

I have a bush buggy and the tires leak from cracks in the sidewall..if I can find a cheap tube I might go that route but otherwise the hitchman sells those tires for a great price.. tire sealant might not work on a cracked sidewall...