Ceramic Eyelet repair - I'm dumb

AKRISONER

Hi Guys,

I am absolutely clueless when it comes to rod repair but I have a question for my fellow rod builders and repairers alike.

Ive got a problem with 2 pretty high end rods

1. is totally missing the ceramic from the top eyelet...yes ive fished without it for the year but its driving me a bit nuts because i fish braid. What would be the best way to repair this? Do i cut the top eyelet off somehow without wrecking the blank and glue a new one on? If so is it even possible to buy one fuji/or other high end eyelet for the tip of my rod?

Or do i somehow find replacement cermic ring to epoxy into the eyelet?

2. Ive got a drop shot rod that I was fishing in the last cold snap with and sure enough after icing up the literal hell outta my rod fishing in -18 the cermic popped out of the eyelet. Ive still got the insert, and i was even able to poke it sorta back into the eyelet seat. But it pops back out periodically.

Both Rods are Loomis, so i am not sure if they use a specific brand of ceramic? maybe even fuji?

Once again I wouldnt give a crepe, but these are some pretty high end rods and im rattled that such a stupid thing is effecting their overall performance which is friggin awesome. Any help or guidance you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

Edited by AKRISONER

Since your working with decent quality rods, get them fixed up right. The ceramic rings are not replaceable on they're own as a good practice. Get the whole eye replaced with a matching guide. Don't cut anything off! the tip guide can generally be warmed up to release the glue and slip right off. Replacing it is just as easy. It take the rods to a builder/repair and get it done right.

6 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

Since your working with decent quality rods, get them fixed up right. The ceramic rings are not replaceable on they're own as a good practice. Get the whole eye replaced with a matching guide. Don't cut anything off! the tip guide can generally be warmed up to release the glue and slip right off. Replacing it is just as easy. It take the rods to a builder/repair and get it done right.

Totally open to recos to get them fixed...preferably in the GTA...and isnt it too small of a job for a rod builder?? :blink:

The tip is vital but not your problem.

Any of the other guide are not important as individuals and as already stated unrepairable. Take your side cutters and cut it off right at the wrap. Metal

on line will  just shred line.

When I was tournament  guy I had all brand new rods and reels. Morning of a medium big tournament (Top Bass) I see 2nd guide no ceramic quickly cut it

off and fish the day. And I won so I just never fix it . Won 2 classics a tourney in North Bay and a few more same rod 2nd guide is just a wrap.

Guess I thought it lucky probably won 60-70k with that stick. It will be for sale at my estate sale . 

23 minutes ago, Garnet said:

The tip is vital but not your problem.

Any of the other guide are not important as individuals and as already stated unrepairable. Take your side cutters and cut it off right at the wrap. Metal

on line will  just shred line.

When I was tournament  guy I had all brand new rods and reels. Morning of a medium big tournament (Top Bass) I see 2nd guide no ceramic quickly cut it

off and fish the day. And I won so I just never fix it . Won 2 classics a tourney in North Bay and a few more same rod 2nd guide is just a wrap.

Guess I thought it lucky probably won 60-70k with that stick. It will be for sale at my estate sale . 

Well I would hesitate to cut the rod with side cutters, you may end up crushing the tip and then loosing more length.  Take an xacto knife and gently score the wrap and unravel it.  Take a Bic lighter and GENTLY heat the top eyelet, hold the eyelet with a pair of small pliers, a slight twist and it will come off.

47 minutes ago, Tom S said:

Go see angling specialties. They'll be able to fix it for you or provide you the parts if you want to do it yourself.

Any rod builder should be willing to do it, repairs come with the territory. 

i just remembered that i crushed the end of my St Croix premier musky rod as well. Are these guys know for carrying musky gear as well?

I think im going to compare the price of having someone do it for me vs trying it myself...although maybe If i want to learn I should try on a rod that doesnt cost hundreds of dollars to replace lol.

Edited by AKRISONER

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

Well I would hesitate to cut the rod with side cutters, you may end up crushing the tip and then loosing more length.  Take an xacto knife and gently score the wrap and unravel it.  Take a Bic lighter and GENTLY heat the top eyelet, hold the eyelet with a pair of small pliers, a slight twist and it will come off.

He's talking about the guides other than the tip and nipping the guide itself where it meets the wrap, not the rod. 

Edited by grimsbylander
sp

5 hours ago, Garnet said:

Wow you read crush rod with side cutters. You don't deserve any help. Continue on fishing with no ceramic . You deserve it.

huh? i never said that?

1 hour ago, JoshS said:

Give angling specialities a call before you go to see if the guy that does it is in that day and they can do it on the spot. They usually have a selection of guides. 

thanks for the heads up. Are they actually open until 9pm like google says? I know that these kinds of shops always have far more limited hours than bass pro etc. thats what you get when you actually have knowledgeable staff.