Aluminum boat mod

super dave

I just purchased my first boat. Older 14 aluminum, fairly wide and moderately deep. The front hood is aluminum and round, as seen in the picture. Can this be removed? I'd like to replace it with a flat piece of wood with carpet so I can accommodate a trolling motor. Any thoughts?

Also where can I get marine carpet around TO?

_20170924_141030.JPG

Edited by super dave

Brian is very right about this Dave - the bunks should end right at the transom. Can't tell from the picture if you have enough tongue to move the mast ahead far enough. You may also need to move the axle ahead too or all the weight will be on the tongue and may affect how it pulls along with becoming a back breaker if you ever try to move it manually.

As for modifying the enclosed bow, you may not gain all that much for the effort. Not sure if it has a hatch in it or if you could cut one in to see how much it may benefit you, but consider too that the existing is good for mounting the trolling motor to. Check out the renovations sections on iboat.com for some great ideas!

Michael

Looks something like me and the boys first tinny. You MUST get that tongue weight correct. What you intend on doing at the bow is fine. There may be easier ways of mounting a troller. Home Depot has carpeting fine for a boat as long as you don't intend on leaving it open to the element. Sometime the difference between Marine and commercial carpeting is the price$$$. Actually there isn't any carpet that will take all the rain and snow.

Trolling motor fold down assembly will work on that front cap. Need a few rubber -mat type pads/spacers to get the cap level where you bolt the fold-down onto, and some 1/2 inch thick and approx 2 inch wide wood slats to bolt the assembly through the aluminum and through the wood for a sturdy result. Use lock nuts, washers and large washers against the wood underneath. Did that on two boats. No big deal.

I wouldn't remove the from hood. Just run some planks down each side and attach a flat platform to the planks.

As others have said; something needs to be done about the trailer. The bunks should extend right to transom. You may need to both move the boat forward and install longer bunks.

I sure wouldn't remove that front cowling or you'll lose all the strength and integrity of the bow. For sure though you could bolt through it to mount a bracket for your tm.Or else just go with a transom mount electric.

Cheers

A flatter plate can be mounted on the bow once the old one is removed, instead of whats there. A 3/8" aluminum plate will still keep the strength on the bow. I would make one that is half the distance covered. Then you can mount you trolling motor with ease. If you handy, you can do this easy.

Thanks again fellas. I'll have to take a look at the trailer again and see if I can move forward and/or extend the bunks. If not, looks like I'm shopping for a new trailer.

So from this view, I'm assuming this trailer would fit a 12 footer perfectly?

Actually it looks like a jet ski trailer to me?

Looks like a great first boat. Congrats!

You can absolutely remove the front aluminum hood and replace it with flat carpeted wood. Use good stainless hardware and bolt it in place to the gunwales.

For the trailer ... slide the front bow arm forward a foot, lengthen the bunks a foot or so in both directions and go fishing. It won't be ideal, but it will be safe and support the boat better.

Don't forget the basic maintenance items:

• Service the motor - change lower unit oil, replace impeller, replace spark plug, spray some cleaner through the carb, check the fuel lines, check the fittings on the tank and hose, and use non-ethanol gas if you can.
  • Service the trailer - check the barrings and hubs (replace or re-pack if needed), check the bolts and hardware on the leaf springs for cracks or excessive rust, fix up lights, check tires for wear or cracking, properly torque the lug nuts, and put just a bit of grease in the coupler
  • Service the hull - check for leaks, cracks, or loose rivets and replace or repair.

If you keep up with the things above, that set-up will last you forever. Literally.