Cap vs. Tonneau NF

Dutch01

Just looking for some opinions from cap people. I have a 2015 Silverado with the Undercover Flex Tonneau cover. It's a low profile trifold and it's pretty convenient. I'm happy with it but it's not going to last forever.

The main reason I'm looking at caps is the ability to sleep in one. Anyone use theirs for sleep? I'm curious if it's worth it because caps are crazy expensive.

Edited by Dutch01

Depending on how often you plan on using it to sleep in, and if you intend on leaving it on the truck... One of these could be a cheap alternative

Please view this ad:

SPORTZ Truck Tent,

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping-outdoor/barrie/sportz-truck-tent/1295787685?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 150

http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Edited by Lucas F

The problem with the truck tents as I see it is you have to take everything out of the truck first to set it up. A FlipPac would be great if I were building an expedition truck. I just want to throw an old air mattress in the back. Never slept in one though so not sure what the cons are.

If you never use the truck bed to carry large items that would otherwise not fit with a cap on then I think a cap make sense. Taking off the cap to move a fridge would be a giant pita where a tonneau is pretty easyto remove. But if you don't need the bed space why not just get a SUV?

Edit: there's also these https://www.softopper.com

Edited by Raf

If you never use the truck bed to carry large items that would otherwise not fit with a cap on then I think a cap make sense. Taking off the cap to move a fridge would be a giant pita where a tonneau is pretty easyto remove. But if you don't need the bed space why not just get a SUV?

I aint moving anythang, It,s my rule to all that think my truck is a moving company. I need a cap Raf, LOL

I aint moving anythang, It,s my rule to all that think my truck is a moving company. I need a cap Raf, LOL

I was about to post the same thing! With my tonneau it's hard to say no, with a cap I can just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and say sorry!

My ice fishing sleds (yes plural, and no, not the kind with a motor) barely fit under the tonneau now. If I ever got a snowmobile/atv I'd put it on a trailer. I think the real barrier is just cost. If I used it to sleep in often enough it would be worth it. If not, maybe not.

A.R.E has a "build your own" app on their site (http://www.4are.com). I put in a request for quote for kicks. I'll share it when I get it from them.

Edited by Dutch01

I was about to post the same thing! With my tonneau it's hard to say no, with a cap I can just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and say sorry!

My ice fishing sleds (yes plural, and no, not the kind with a motor) barely fit under the tonneau now. If I ever got a snowmobile/atv I'd put it on a trailer. I think the real barrier is just cost. If I used it to sleep in often enough it would be worth it. If not, maybe not.

A.R.E has a "build your own" app on their site (http://www.4are.com). I put in a request for quote for kicks. I'll share it when I get it from them.

My 2 man and smitty fit just right under the cover. A perfect fit really. I even have it laid out for sand bags and salt bags for the winter. 300lbs worth. I just layer them along the side, over the wheel well and back of the box. Once the cold comes, they set in place. Never move.

With a cap, I could make a frame for patio stones to lay on the bed..

Edited by Misfish

Lol I have no problem saying no.

I've only owned my truck for a few weeks and found a need to remove the tonneau and load it up above the roof line a couple of times for my own personal use - two minutes to pop it off and two to put it back on and I can do it solo - but if you guys don't then a cap makes sense. I kind of like the idea of the softtopper for me but not sure how durable the canvas would be.

Edited by Raf

I normally use an Xtang Tri-Fold hard tonneau but when we travel and carry alot of bulky stuff I figured a cap would be much better for the extra room.

I only use it a few times a year so bought a used one in excellent condition from Easton Truck Caps on hwy 115 for a great price and then had a local body shop paint it to match the truck.

Plenty of room inside now and has sliding windows with screens for extra ventilation.

001_2.jpg

I built a frame work at the back of the yard hidden behind the garage and I can easily remove the cap or re-install it myself in about 30 minutes and the Xtang goes back on in 5 minutes.

004_5.jpg

When I would play in ball tourney's I'd just drop the tailgate and leave it open with a tarp covering the open end and I'd sleep under the cover I had. Now the (now ex) refused due to the trapped feeling as the cover isn't too far from you... If you are not afraid of the space then why spend more... And yes USED is a good option. I found snow tends to build up between cap and the back window of the truck when I had a cap.

Found a few on my local Kawartha facebook buy and sell pages for $200 as an avg (cap's)

I just can't bring myself to put a $200 cap on a $45K truck ?

I did find a lightly used one for about 1500 so giving that some thought. That still a lot of coin it would be any easy choice if I didn't already have the tonneau.

I just can't bring myself to put a $200 cap on a $45K truck ?

I did find a lightly used one for about 1500 so giving that some thought. That still a lot of coin it would be any easy choice if I didn't already have the tonneau.

$200 cap, $400 paint job to match truck.....$600 for a great set up.

S.