2017 Bass Opener

Lord Letto

This is the 1st year in the 21 years we have owned here where we can watch the Smallies, Carp and Gar Pike spawn that we have seen exactly zero fish. The water is the highest I have seen and I can't see how the Bass can keep the fry safe when waves are crashing on the rocks where they make their beds. I can't see how the males could even stay on the beds with the wave action. I could always tell you if they were off the beds by opener, not this year.

It will be interesting next Saturday. I saw a few guys launching this AM all ready to go Bass fishing and I had to be the party pooper telling them there are 4 Saturdays in June this year.

Picked this one up today, best of the year thus far. Surprised how fat it was

Just tossed spinners off the dock for 2 hours, fun lil outing.

Only bass of the day, caught 5-6 pike in the 20-30" range

Sorry for the crappy pic. Didn't realize how dirty the lense was lol. How about that hair? ????

PSX_20170617_182650_zps4ruf3htg.jpg

IMG_20170617_173213_zps1cemgwrl.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

This is the 1st year in the 21 years we have owned here where we can watch the Smallies, Carp and Gar Pike spawn that we have seen exactly zero fish. The water is the highest I have seen and I can't see how the Bass can keep the fry safe when waves are crashing on the rocks where they make their beds. I can't see how the males could even stay on the beds with the wave action. I could always tell you if they were off the beds by opener, not this year.It will be interesting next Saturday. I saw a few guys launching this AM all ready to go Bass fishing and I had to be the party pooper telling them there are 4 Saturdays in June this year.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the spawn. Lake Erie smallies don't just spawn up shallow. There's a huge population of fish that spawn between 10 to 25 fow!

I wouldn't be too concerned about the spawn. Lake Erie smallies don't just spawn up shallow. There's a huge population of fish that spawn between 10 to 25 fow!

I knew that have to spawn somewhere. Shallow or deep. Not really concerned as much as interested, thanks G. I know we will have to start deeper than normal next week. It was 2 years ago late one night I'm here on the PC on a dead calm night and I hear them splashing close to shore. I realized it was after mid night of the opener and I put on a buzz bait and go down to the beach because I couldn't take it anymore. 3rd cast I get an almost black female that turns out to be the biggest of the year. My favorite Bass other than my first and last.

Rick, that is a beauty of a Bronze Back, no matter from where.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

won my first tournament...small family tournament on the tri lakes buckhorn, pigeon and chemong...we won biggest fish and total weight.

gun was a at 5, weigh in at 12. small pay day and a free steak dinner more details in a soon to be coming report

IMG_0545.JPG

Will be fishing Pointe Au Baril for opener on Saturday...probably do at least 8 hours hammering shallow smallies! best time of the year.

Edited by AKRISONER

We did alright on Saturday.

The weeds were just starting to come up and I am pretty sure they haven't all spawned yet. Water temp was still in the 60's on Big Rideau.

We caught a nice 3.5lber in 20 FOW and the rest of the decent ones (ounce or two away from 3lb) were caught shallow holding tight to cover.

won my first tournament...small family tournament on the tri lakes buckhorn, pigeon and chemong...we won biggest fish and total weight.

gun was a at 5, weigh in at 12. small pay day and a free steak dinner more details in a soon to be coming report

attachicon.gifIMG_0545.JPG

Will be fishing Pointe Au Baril for opener on Saturday...probably do at least 8 hours hammering shallow smallies! best time of the year.

Gratz! On the Topic of Bass Tournaments, Anyone planning on doing the Grand River Bass Derby? http://www.grandriverbassderby.ca/

I'd be interested in doing it as my 1st Tourney, But I'll be up at the French River when Reg Ends, so maybe Next Year.

M2B2, thought maybe you joined a Punk Hip Hop band with that coif. Don't complain, at least you have hair, I still have most of my feathers.

If these winds don't lay down soon no one around here will be going out this Saturday if they have a brain that works. Saw a guy in a good sized Bass boat head west into the 2 meter waves yesterday. That boat and the 3 guys were taking a pounding zipping across the white caps, then he would slow down and bob up and down like on a bungee cord. Not what I call fun anymore.

Lol, I went for a swim and didn't notice how my hair had dried hahaha

Even the lady at the grocery store was laughing at it lol

I've never seen a wave over 4ft that I liked. Just makes fishing miserable imo.

I don't mind rain but heavy wind sets me off completely, always has

Well, My Uncle Wanted to Go Fishing Yesterday to Try the New Rod He got the Day Before (a Hurricane Mako Isurus), But Nope, Too Much Water to Fish with the Conostogo River Being Flooded from all the Rain We Had the Past Week & Apparently the Nith Near New Hamburg where we went 2 Weeks ago was (Apparently, Never Seen it Myself) Flooded also. They are saying it'll take about a week to Recede & Go Back to Normal, So No Fishing Down Here For Now, Next time Fishing so My Uncle can try his new Rod & My Brother to Try his New Real (Xcalibur K50) will be when we go to the French River North Channel July 1st-8th.