Weirdest Catch Ever

muskymax

Hey guys,

What is the weirdest catch or weirdest thing you have ever seen while fishing?

My weird thing i saw while fishing was a huge bear swimming right next to my boat. It was scary and surreal at the same time.

reservoirgouin200630juin2juill.jpg

Fishing a top water frog in BOQ years ago I had a 4ft water snake strike at the bait and get hooked.

Had to grab hold of the head and work the hook out while the thing is squirming and hissing.

Well i have had a few weird catches.. :huh: ..the best was i acually caught a rock with a hole in it.. :o ..[it was a piece of shale] from the ottawa river,as well as the rock there was a big freshwater clam latched on to it....anothertime i caught a rusty boat steering wheel....and man did that ever put up a great fight....it was covered in zebra muscles and pro weighed 15lbs :blink: .....and i once snagged a anchor rope and after getting the rope to just below the surface,i pulled,and pulled and finally it broke free,and i got a nice 7lb anchor,after i cleaned it up it was like brand new... :w00t: ...so some of my catches were good.....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Yah, so, I once caught a corpse with a seagull and water snake and an anchor and a '57 Chevy attached while I had a bear riding in my boat and 100 of my buddies swimming beside me.

Forget to add, while my boat was hanging from the bottom of a helicopter with two hands tied behind my back and my eyes taped shut - in Antartica using dental floss and a pencil as a fishing rod.

Edited by JerseyDog

Also had a bear swim by us, but he definitely avoided us, your bear doesnt look at all timid lol. You either were in an area that the bears affiliate humans with food and he wanted a meal, or he was rabid or something lol :dunno: Dunno but thats an awesome experience, great pic

1008.jpg

1007.jpg

The only problem with letting a bear on your boat...... They'll drink all your beer and they never chip in on the gas.

Also they always want to change spots, even if you are catching fish, they know somewhere else to try.

;-)

that bear would have me freaked out if i saw it. The weirdest thing i ever caught was a huge bull frog. I caught it using a scum frog on some lilly pads.

Same here. It was a slow day for me, and I didn't see the giant bull frog as he was under the pads/scum. But I watched as the pads all shook, and the scum started to part and this giant tunnel (scene from Tremors) approached my lure. Then SMASH! I landed it, but thank GOD it spit the hook before I had to touch it.

I'll tell you though, after a slow day like I was having, it was about the most exciting hit I've ever had.

I caught a brand new Shimano rod and real combo this spring at Port Dover. Still had the tape on the handle. I figure someone left their rod unattended and got spooled. I initially thoght I was snagged untill it started to come up. Funny.

Mark

Wow, that is pretty cool... to be that close to a swimming bear! That would definitely be a wild experience.

The freakiest thing that I ever saw while fishing is something I cannot explain or haven't been able to get a good answer to...

I was fishing on a calm day in the St.Lawrence River close to Lake Ontario in 11-feet of water for perch. The water was crystal clear and we could see the perch along the bottom. Then a massive fish swam right beside my 16' boat right near the surface of the water. The fish was so large my girlfriend at the time was shrieking in horror.. and she had hooked and played a 50" class musky before.

When I tried to make a cast to it after my initial shock, she started yelling at me (almost crying) to stop trying to catch it, she was so scared. The fish was shark-like in appearance, approximately 8- to 10-feet in length and a brownish greyish colouration. It looked similar to a sand shark from 3-feet away. It's difficult to say just how large it really was as it was in the water, but it was scary big, I know that much. I wouldn't have wanted to jump in the water!

The only thing I can think of, is that is was some type of saltwater fish or shark that was lost.

I have heard all kinds of suggestions as to what it may have been without any good answer. I am pretty good at identifying freshwater fish species, and I can say it was not:

- a paddlefish, gar, sturgeon, catfish, musky or any other game fish from freshwater. Any suggestions?

Aaron

Dang....I know you know your fish, Aaron but I would still bet on a sturgeon. They swim like a shark and have a shark-like tail. It's also probably the only fish in the Larry that can grow that long and could be seen in shallow waters at times.