Torn Muscle

Fisherman

Well I pulled a boner last 8th of April, without going into the silly details, I launched myself to get out of someones way with great vigour. Instant agony, thought maybe it was just a charlie horse. After a week of nursing it and no improvement I went to emerg, after an ultrasound looks like I tore some muscles in the front of my thigh. I have to go back for more xrays next week hopefully the swelling will subside some. Doc mentioned possible surgery. Has anyone gone through this before? I'm getting tired of sitting and sleeping and the leg is on fire.

Is it cramping? Normally a torn muscle will "knot up" and cramp very badly, it will also normally be visible, bruise very badly and greatly hamper your ability to use said muscle.

A week isn't too long. Often even a pulled or strained muscle will last that long or longer.

Best of luck. I hope it's pulled and not torn.

Well I pulled a boner last 8th of April, without going into the silly details, I launched myself to get out of someones way with great vigour. Instant agony, thought maybe it was just a charlie horse. After a week of nursing it and no improvement I went to emerg, after an ultrasound looks like I tore some muscles in the front of my thigh. I have to go back for more xrays next week hopefully the swelling will subside some. Doc mentioned possible surgery. Has anyone gone through this before? I'm getting tired of sitting and sleeping and the leg is on fire.

WHY WHY WHY?????????????

Your son has a boat and a younger fella then you. Much younger. LOL

Damit, your a stuburrn old coot.

Hope not as bad as you say, ya ole coot.

The 4 muscles in your thigh are the quadriceps. The largest in your body. Very rare to tear them. I am not going to give any medical advice as I missed around 7 years of med school. I do know it's rare to tear one. A week is nothing for a town muscle that I know. I have torn muscles I don't have anymore. Listen to your Doc. ICE, ice, compression and elevation for a torn muscle, ask your Doc first for sure. Never heat I know that for sure. If you tore it there is internal bleeding and a clot can form, heat promotes bleeding, not good. Good luck. Hurts like an dude.

My younger brother who is 20 now had a similar injury just under two years ago while we were playing soccer. Tore part of his quad as well as partially tearing his ACL and fully tearing his meniscus. He opted for the surgery right away to repair what could be repaired. He had the surgery done for his partially torn quad and ACL. Unfortunately they couldn't repair the meniscus. It was a bit of a recovery and physio but he's back to normal, gym, sports and being a :asshat: .

Edited by Musky Plug

My 2 cents worth. If you've torn something that needs to be fixed by surgery don't delay. Otherwise it heals up with scar tissue and won't be the same. 1999 I partially tore my pec muscle off my shoulder, didn't get it fixed and now I have shoulder and elbow issues on the same side and my pec contracts into the middle of my chest. One of a number of boo boos acquired over the years. Pain should tell you to take it easy and rest but I've done the opposite many times.

rest it, and as much as it hurts, massage it, will keep it loose and prevent it from crapping and knotting up. go for the surgery, recovery time is so much faster.

I torn my rotator cuff apart when I was 18, good ole baseball injury, I didn't do surgery, hell,was too stubborn to see a doc. took 7 years for it to heal up properly and be able to use my arm in certain ways without pain, and another 2 years to be completely pain free when throwing a baseball. i've also lost some flexability in that arm

From what the radiologist/ultrasound person could see, they suspect some tearing. On the front middle of the thigh there is a bit of knotting and can get very tight, recliner/bed is about the most comfortable to keep it relaxed. Will do what doc says. No, no heat or sure.

One thing is certain, you sure have to learn fast how to make things happen, getting socks on can be a bit of a hilarious manouevre, hauling garbage down the driveway today, use my cane. Good thing I drive an auto now, I can just imagine trying to row a 6 speed with a bum leg.

We definitely have to be more careful as we age. I screwed my back up last year (again) taking the motor (25 hp) off my boat. It wasn't the weight, but sudden jolt as it tipped over and I went to stop it. Had an MRI and it showed 3 herniated disks, a small tear and pressure on some of the nerve roots. (I do have an ongoing back issue) It's hard to let go and it sounds like you have the same approach. I had the neighbour's 16 year old come over and put it on this spring, he lifted it like it was a 6 hp. LOL I promised myself I would start saying I can't help lift something, help someone move, rush at any job, etc.

I hope you can recover quickly so it doesn't keep you off the water!

Heats always been my go to for muscle aches/pains/sprains and worse. Never realized I could've been doing myself more harm than good. Huh. Well, hope you feel better.rest is good for sure if you can get it.

Let's see... I've torn an ab, my quad, hamstring, etc.... I'm a mess from years of sports

It's never fun but you gotta rest and take care of yourself

Ya but you can regail people with the time you scored 4 touchdowns in one game playing for Polk High ....