Boat/Motor service and/or repair recomendations

Beans

My bro-in-law wants to get his Alumacraft ready for open water this year. He hasn't had it in the water for five years or so. It will need a good going over...Work interfered with his retirement and fishing but a recent hip replacement has put a stop to that...Damn that four letter word (work).

Up this way the only places I know of is Buckeye Marine and the place across from Corky' Small Engine Repair on hwy 36...Anybody got any recommendations near Bobcaygeon or Newcastle ?

Edited by Beans

Beans, It is worth the drive to go to Buckeye, they are very good and an honest group. I believe that Grant runs the service department. When my Father passed away and my Mother moved to Newmarket where I am, I still take my boat to Buckeye for service.

Bought my boat motor and trailer package from Buckeye and have only ever dealt with them. I have been very happy with there service. Something about them you don't like Beansie?

I took my old 4 hp mercury in to them the first year I was up here for winterizing and they charged me well over $100...Everybody said I paid too much but I later found out they charge $100 once they remove the cover...I used Corkies Small Engine Repair for a couple of years then Cliff was my man after that until I sold it to my neighbor after I had to get rid of "The Tin of Beans" due to poor health...

Dave will have to make the decision but so far Buckeye has 2 against and 2 for...

Edited by Beans

What make of outboard ? ? ?

I would try it myself before sending it out to ANYONE first.

I haven't the slightest idea of the make...

I never learned how to do handyman stuff in accounting school and neither did my bro-in-law from the police force...LOL

Dave's Maiden Launch 010.jpg

I found this picture and the motor is 50 hp

Edited by Beans

MD Marine in Bewdley has done some work on my engine, and a few friends of mine. Good guy. Runs out of the shop beside BJ's bait and tackle.

905 797 3777

Thanks for the info Shane...

I have had a few dealings with Buckeye:

I took a friends motor in to them because I just didn't have the time to work on it myself. The customer service person at the counter started giving me a big list of all the tests that they needed to do (this was before they even saw the motor) some of them didn't make any sense at all so I pulled out my small engine mechanics license and asked him if he would mind starting over. The whole atmosphere changed instantly and by the time we were done I was quite satisfied that I was being treated fairly.

The last time I took my boat and motor in they water tested it for 1.8 hours and failed to notice that a 4 Cyl. 60 HP Merc was only running on three Cyl., it had a failed coil pack.

I am sorry, maybe they are wonderful and everyone can make a mistake but from my experience..... I was left a little uneasy!

Mechanics on Trent caught and repaired the defective coil and did a full tune up on the engine for just over $400.00 parts and labour which I thought was quite reasonable.

Its a Yamaha.

Do an oil change, super simple. 3 litres of marine yamaha 10W30 oil and a filter Change the oil in the lower end, again, simple.

Put the muffs on and start it.

Watch for water squirting out the upper hole and I would bet its fine.

If it doesn't start, then take it in

Its a Yamaha.

Do an oil change, super simple. 3 litres of marine yamaha 10W30 oil and a filter Change the oil in the lower end, again, simple.

Put the muffs on and start it.

Watch for water squirting out the upper hole and I would bet its fine.

If it doesn't start, then take it in

Sorry, Dara you are a very smart dude but muffs provide pressurized water! That in no way tests the cooling system! The VERY best test for any motor isn't with muffs but in the lake or in a tank. Muffs are ok for doing a tune up and such but I would never send a friend out on the water with a motor that hadn't been properly tested to make sure the cooling system wasn't working properly. By the time they find out it isn't working properly they are far enough away from the dock that not only is their motor toast, so is their day of fishing! (just my $0.05 worth)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your help and advice...My bro-in-law decided to take his boat to Harris Boat Works on Rice Lake as it is part way on the way to Bancroft where he plans to use it with our niece's husband...