boat trailer rewiring recommendation

moemoe

Have a 2004 trailer, that is causing me grief, keeps blowing my fuses in my truck, had issues with the ground last year that i redid all the ground wires, figured might as wel rewire the whole thing.....looking to have it done right and last for a long time...wondering if anyone has dealt with a quality trailer place they could recommend, live in hamilton area but will travel to k/w area as well.....thanks moe

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to get a whole new LED light kit with wires and run them yourself vs paying someone shop rates for the same solution? Just a thought to where I'd start

Edited by GBW

I have re wired about 5 different trailers with princess auto kits without any issues. Very easy to do. Keep an eye on the princess flyer for when they come on sale. The most important part is to make sure you use good connectors and good heat shrink.

Submersible Low Profile LED Trailer Light Kit | Princess Auto

or

Submersible LED Trailer Light Kit | Princess Auto

Shouldn't cost you any more than $100 (very high side) and a couple hours of your time. I assume this would save you a few bucks and it is very straight forward.

Good Luck

I have re wired about 5 different trailers with princess auto kits without any issues. Very easy to do. Keep an eye on the princess flyer for when they come on sale. The most important part is to make sure you use good connectors and good heat shrink.

SOLDER CONNECTIONS :canadian:

I bought a landscape trailer from these guys and had them put a hitch on and wire the Jeep when I got it, very well stocked shop.

http://www.hitchmantrailers.ca/

I had a brake line snap off on my boat trailer and talked to them about getting it replaced and the system bled and tested. The woman there told me "We've never worked on a Ranger trailer, sorry." I took it to a small independent garage in Stoney Creek and he did a great job. I still don't understand why they didn't want to do a simple line replacement.

Edited by grimsbylander

SOLDER CONNECTIONS :canadian:

Agreed that is the "best" way. But not the easiest to do while under a boat and trailer.

I've not had a properly done crimp and glued heat shrink fail thus far.

Or even a couple of merretts with electrical tape would due just fine...... :wallbash:

Go to an electronics store and buy good quality tinned wire.That stuff at your local shops deteriorates and shorts out in no time. Going on to 10 trouble free years for me.

Good wire makes a huge difference. Not such a big deal on a boat trailer, but my snowmobile trailer wires take a beating with the salt. It doesn't take long for cheap wiring to be useless. Soldered and shrink wrapped connections wrapped in good ole electrical tape has been good to me so far.

S.

The blue 'scotch lock' connectors should be the first thing to toss in the trash, they are easy to install but invariably end up with corrosion issues in a very short period of time.

Edited by G.mech

The blue 'scotch lock' connectors should be the first thing to toss in the trash, they are easy to install but invariably end up with corrosion issues in a very short period of time.

Yup, worste thing ever invented for joining wires. Toss them immediately!

I buy high quality wire and run it through a section of tygon tubing then fish it through the framing of the trailer. Solder all connections then use waterproof shrink tube over the connection.

I know it sounds like overkill but I never have any problems with trailer lights

Dan

Agreed that is the "best" way. But not the easiest to do while under a boat and trailer.

Under the boat in the driveway with a Weller solder gun is a piece of cake, now going back to the cottage years, dad would have me crawl in the narrow space under the cottage with the propane torch and replace burst copper pipe 24th of May when opening up for the season, laying on my back with molten solder dripping :tease: Oh yes. in the porcupine poop and usually the blackflies were out too :wallbash: . I still really miss that place :(

The brown green runs to the back but also is used for the clearance lights on both sides of the fenders

That's pretty standard. Mine is the same way. I also have a 5 wire set up, into a 4 way plug, but no brakes on my trailer.

You have a wire shorting out somewhere, and my bet is its one of those wires to the clearance lights. You can't find it unless you pull all the wires through the frame, so its just as easy to replace everything if your pulling it all out anyways.

S.

Edited by Sinker